Books That Scared You.

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Books That Scared You.

Postby That Dude » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:35 pm

What are some books that you guys have read that scared you? The only book to ever really scare me out of the ton's that I've read would have to be Blood Ties by Sigmund Brouwer. It's a christian book also...(Oh yeah...This thread doesn't include the Bible for putting the fear of God in you ^_^)
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:05 am

Frank Peretti's This Present Darkness, Piercing the Darkness, The Visitation and The Oath all scared me. I couldn't read them at night much at all. Oh, and as a preteen the Goosebumps books gave me... um goosebumps.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby c.t.,girl » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:07 am

i don't really like things that scare me so i try to stay away from them. ^_^
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby That Dude » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:34 am

That's cool about staying away from things that scare you. I read all those Frank Peretti books yet none of them scared me.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby oro! » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:50 pm

Some of them did scare me. Also, not a book, but The Birds and The Cask of Amontillado. I don't read too much scary stuff, 'cause I wake up in the middle of the night and think about it.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Nia-chan » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:49 pm

when i was younger, edgar allen poe's books scared me. he needed jesus. :(

and also in the first grade there was a book that had me really scared. our teacher read it to us. i don't remember the title or author though... all i remember is that it had pictures, and it would say stuff like "he only saw the doorknob turn" and it would have a picture of a guy looking back at a door. anyway it scared me. D: i couldn't go anywhere by myself after that T_T
Don't make me hit you with my pocketbook :angel:
Nia-chan

Postby AngelSakura » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:54 pm

When I was little, I was scared of everything. ^^;; Seriously. Courage the Cowardly Dog and Invader Zim scared me.
As to books, I read this "scary stories" book that had that story about the girl who wore a red ribbon around her neck...scared the crap out of me. I have no idea why. Also, more recently (but still a while ago) those scary story books that have the spidery-looking ink pictures scared me. For a short time, I was forbidden to read Goosebumps...I think they're kinda stupid and hokey now.
You know that Bunnicula book, "Return to Howliday Inn"? I literally threw it across the room, I was so scared. ^^;;;
*alright, shut up, Angel, you're embarrassing yourself...*
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby Hephzibah » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:08 pm

Frank Peretti - The Oath. That really got me scared :P The other books though, like This Present Darkness, didn't. They were just SO COOL! GO TAL!!! GO GUILO!! :D
Hephzibah

Postby Gypsy » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:02 am

Same here, Talame. I thought the Oath was scary (but a good scary!) and the others were just cool. Tal is such a good name for an angel.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby EvilSporkofDoom » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:44 pm

One of the scariest tales I've ever read is "The Pit and the Pendulum" by Edgar Allen Poe. Very chilling. Edgar Allen Poe is the best horror writer, methinks.
When I was younger (around 8 to 12-ish) Goosenbumps used to scare me quite a bit :D didn't keep me from being mad obsessed with them, though. I still think they're really spiffy books, but they don't scare me anymore, hehe.
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
-Hebrews 11:6

EvilSporkofDoom

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:31 am

Only one book has ever scared me. House of Leaves, by mark Z. Daneilewski. READ THAT BOOK!!!!!!!! Everyone should. But be advised, it is not a book for children and contains some, unpleasant descriptive aspects, which might not suit other people. I have warned you.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby oro! » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:08 pm

[quote="AngelSakura"]When I was little, I was scared of everything. ^^]

When you were small must've been pretty recent for those shows to scare you. :lol: I know I'm only somewhat older but, come on.......
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:28 pm

Hmmm. . Peretti. A throughly original response, I know.

Furthermore, I think that Three by Ted Dekker scared me a bit because of it's psychological nature.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby That Dude » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:37 pm

Thr33 was pretty disturbing near the end...Not to scary but it really got me thinking.
That Dude

Postby righteous_slave » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:07 am

The scariest book I ever read was the Amityville Horror. I don't know how much of it was the events themselves or that it is supposed to be a true story. The second scaries book is 1984, expecially in light of how prophetic it is turning out to be.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:25 pm

hmm, those "Scary Stories to tell in the dark" REALLY scared me becasue of the illustrations. They were so scary
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:11 pm

[quote="AngelSakura"]When I was little, I was scared of everything. ^^]

Ack! Me too!!! I was SOOO scared of that story. Oh, the scars of childhood. *shutter*
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Golden_Griff » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:43 pm

My AP Calculus textbook. :wow!:

I'm sorry, I know, this isn't goof off :eyeroll:

c.t.,girl wrote:i don't really like things that scare me so i try to stay away from them. ^_^

Same here, in addition to the fact that I don't really like reading. Not that it really scared me, but Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King comes to mind.

...biology books scare me too...creepy looking things in there...
My art album! (Click Here!) :cool:

Proud member of P.W.M.O.U.W.I.A.T.M.A. : People Who Make Odd and Ugly Words In an Attempt To Make Acronymns.

"You don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great."--Joe Sabah
Golden_Griff

Postby EireWolf » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:03 pm

I remember reading the prologue to Stephen King's "IT" and getting really scared. Must've been a looooong time ago. Poe was creepy but I don't remember getting genuinely scared by his stories... Then again, I was older when I read them. What scares me these days is reading the news... :wow!:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby soul alive » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:58 pm

i remember that book about the girl with the ribbon around her neck - isn't it part of a series of three books of horror story collections? the illustrations in those books were incredibly freaky, i remember being more scared of them than of most of the actual stories... probably the story that scared me the most from those books was the one about the two men out camping, and the creature that called one out of the tent and grabbed him, pulling him up into the sky, dragging his feet off... bleh - some things just shouldn't be in books intended for children.

'Mars Chronicles' by ray bradbury wasn't exactally scary, but it was freaky, especially the part where one man creates a bunch of robots/androids who look like other characters he knows, kills off those characters violently, and replaces them with his creations.

i also remember being utterly freaked out by the fairytale 'Bluebeard' in grade school. reading it now, it's not all that bad, and if i had read it all the way through back then, i would have found that out :sweat: . but anyway, some of the original Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Anderson fairytales are rather disturbing.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby EireWolf » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:08 pm

No kidding!! These are the things they expose children to in school these days! Required reading! :P And people wonder why I won't have kids... :shady:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby greyscale42 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:15 pm

Ive never read a book that really scared me. But I will tell you a book, one of my personal favorites, that really messed with my head. House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski.
greyscale42

Postby harina » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:49 am

The Vision by David Wilkerson is a bit scary. It's a christian book, yes.

The Signal Man by Charles Dickens. It's a horror story, i think the best one of them i've ever read. and scary.
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. [Hebr. 11:1]
harina

Postby sunet » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:36 pm

i read a book once that, i guess if you were to translate it into english would be 'monster pigeons' or something. it was set in the future, i think & it all animal life had died or something because of some virus, except for pigeons. & most humans were dead also, except for a few that survived. and the pigeons had become flesh-eating. it was really sad also, because one of the main characters in the story got attacked by them & died. :(
sunet

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:22 pm

Charles Williams' "War in Heaven" (not to be confused with Theodore Beale's "The War in Heaven") is a story about a search for the Holy Grail. The Archdeacon of a small English church discovers, too late, that occultists of a disturbingly nasty persuasion may have stolen a sacred vessel and that it might, indeed, be the Holy Grail. What they want it for is, in its own subtle way, terribly disturbing.

The author was a friend of CS Lewis so the book is written from a pro-Christian perspective. But Charles Williams had strayed into a shortlived unhealthy interest into the occult early in his life so his depiction of satanists are more disturbing than anything usually found in Frank Peretti. His books are not for people who scare easily. And they're very literate books so they're not easy to read as well.

bigsleepj

Postby Needle Noggin » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:46 pm

Nia-chan wrote:when i was younger, edgar allen poe's books scared me. he needed jesus. :(

and also in the first grade there was a book that had me really scared. our teacher read it to us. i don't remember the title or author though... all i remember is that it had pictures, and it would say stuff like "he only saw the doorknob turn" and it would have a picture of a guy looking back at a door. anyway it scared me. D: i couldn't go anywhere by myself after that T_T

Edgar Allen Poe did not write any books...just stort stories. And if you read about his life it is easy to see why he lacked faith in humaninty,life, and the world in general.Someone I respect(which is rare) once said Poe was 1/5 genuis and 4/5 family tragedy.
Go young wildebeest
for you must gallop yonder
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:46 pm

peretti's The Oath and various short stories by HP Lovecraft

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:13 am

The Oath and Jurassic Park... They are the only books I can think of that scared me... I used to read Goosebumps, but they never scared me...

Now, i got scared while listening to the Harry Potter audio books, but that wasn't so much the content as it was something else... Too easy to explain, but I just don't want to. ^_^

Yeah, those are the only two books that scared me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Raptor » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:05 am

There wasnt really a book that scared me, but still some of them gave me a thrill : the 2 jurassic park books and the shining by stephen king.
The Video Game Seller asked me how many video games would be enough. "I laugh just at the though to have enough video games" replied thy hero, with a nintendo DS in his hands.
Raptor

Postby Kaligraphic » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:39 am

DNS and BIND, by Albitz & Liu (from O'Reilly)

Well, I got over it.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Next

Return to Book Corner