Comics (sorry, didnt know where to put this)

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Comics (sorry, didnt know where to put this)

Postby greyscale42 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:32 pm

Hey guys. Ive heard alot about manga on this forum, but I havent heard much about American Graphic Novels. Do you guys like them? If so which ones?

My personal favorites would have to be:
The Dark Knight Returns (1 and 2)
Hell Boy
The Mask
The Mask Returns
The Crow (beware, I had to do some editing with a permanent marker on this one :grin: :lol: )
Maus
greyscale42

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:27 pm

I like Bone, The Tick, Cerebus, The Sandman, and Too Much Coffee Man. I'm also reading a big hardcover GN called Cages. Kinda dull so far, though.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby oro! » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:41 pm

I haven't read those ones y'all like, probably for good reasons. I like the classics, like Tarzan and those Indiana Jones ones.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Icarus » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:22 pm

So far, Kingdom Come (the apocalypse with super-heros), and Bone.

Quiche.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Zane » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:11 am

Yeah, graphic novels definatley!!!

The Dark Knight Returns was really good. I liked the 2nd one (with all the AJL in them right?) less, but it had a cool concept like the Flash in a 'hamster' cage making electricty etc.
Havn't read any Hellboy, loved the movie though so i might have a look into it.
The Sandman is crazy... i didn't get it really...what do u like about it Sponnybard??
Bones is a good yarn.

I really enjoyed aaah can't remeber the title. Ill tell you when i find it.
I'm a Marvel Buff, i enjoy the X-men, Hulk, Spidey, DD guys.
DC is more based on reality, while marvel is very much about mutations and DNA stuff, thats the major distinctions i think.

Can't think of any atm, but i do enjoy them.
Zane

Postby righteous_slave » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:24 am

Kingdom Come is an awesome story, and Alex Ross is one of the best artists of all time, period. I have the original series, but there are a few pages of extra matieral in the GN, so I want to get it one of these days. The Dark Knight Returns is another classic, but I haven't gotten the sequel. The Crow is IMHO one hundred times better than the movie. The Tick: The Naked City is hilarious. Spoon!

When I get around to it, I want to get some of the collected classic GNs of the 70's and 80's comics. Xmen, Spiderman, Marvel, Excelsior! I like the older stuff, and GNs are much cheaper than searching out the originals.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:53 pm

Icarus wrote:So far, Kingdom Come (the apocalypse with super-heros), and Bone.

Quiche.

:lol: Yeah! "Monsters do not eat qiche!"

Zane wrote:The Sandman is crazy... i didn't get it really...what do u like about it Spoonybard??

It's cool how it shifts between the "Dreaming" and the "Real World". Each of them is strange enough in its own way. And Morpheus (lord of the Dreamworld, not the Matrix guy) is a great character. It is weird, but that's what makes it so interesting. If you're a fan of the Silent Hill games, you'll dig The Sandman. Speaking of which, I've heard there's some Silent Hill comics out. I gots to get me hands on those.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Solid Ronin » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:00 pm

Batman Hush vol.2 (I didnt put vol.1 in because I havent read it...long story)

Geat story backed with amazing pencils by Jim Lee
Solid Ronin

Postby Zane » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:54 am

Oh also who has read Batman; The Long Hallowean?
Thats like a true batman story, because batman is more like sherlock holmes than a superhero, and in this one theres a murderer killing someone of the top crime families relatives every public holiday. It's similar to batman; year one.

And i did the whole dream world and morpheus stuff in Sandman, but (and i can't remember the issue i picked up) in the one i got form the library it had a prostitue, a homo transvestite and lesbians as the main charcters who then

Don't look if you a not mature, like old.
[SPOILER] go into the dream world by killing this guy, skinning him and doing all voodoo stuff to get there, and then the skin (face) which is hammered to the wall starts talking to people.[/SPOILER]

I didn't think thats what God wanted me to read... maybe it was just a one off ...
But hey, do let me stop you enjoying it. My Dad can't stand anything outside reality.
When Wolverines claws came out the 1st time in the bar, he goes 'huhm.. i dont think so " and walked off :) It kinda sucks though.
Zane

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:29 pm

Zane wrote:And i did the whole dream world and morpheus stuff in Sandman, but (and i can't remember the issue i picked up) in the one i got form the library it had a prostitue, a homo transvestite and lesbians as the main charcters who then

Don't look if you a not mature, like old.
[SPOILER] go into the dream world by killing this guy, skinning him and doing all voodoo stuff to get there, and then the skin (face) which is hammered to the wall starts talking to people.[/SPOILER]

I didn't think thats what God wanted me to read... maybe it was just a one off ...
But hey, do let me stop you enjoying it. My Dad can't stand anything outside reality.
When Wolverines claws came out the 1st time in the bar, he goes 'huhm.. i dont think so " and walked off :) It kinda sucks though.

Hm. I guess it just doesn't bother me. I simply see it as good fiction and nothing more.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Ichigo_89 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:29 pm

American GNS I read are usually Bone, Usagi Yojimbo, Superman: Our Worlds at War, Sock Monkey, Creature Tech, and Big Guy & Rusty. (I like underground stuff so, don't be scratching your head at some of the last titles I listed. XP
Ichigo_89

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:17 pm

I have the first Bone which is called Out of Boneville and Crisis on Infinite
Earths.I also have the Star Trek:Mirror Universe Saga.
mitsuki lover

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:00 pm

ZIPO_MASTER* wrote:American GNS I read are usually Bone, Usagi Yojimbo, Superman: Our Worlds at War, Sock Monkey, Creature Tech, and Big Guy & Rusty. (I like underground stuff so, don't be scratching your head at some of the last titles I listed. XP

Oh, I love Creature Tech! Doug TenNapel is a very talented, imaginative artist. He's the one who created Earthworm Jim, so he's automatically cool in my opinion.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Ichigo_89 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:54 pm

SpoonyBard wrote:Oh, I love Creature Tech! Doug TenNapel is a very talented, imaginative artist. He's the one who created Earthworm Jim, so he's automatically cool in my opinion.

Ya, he's SO talented! The art was amazing, and I was seriously laughing out loud through most of it. My fave parts were when Blue was shown bonding with the redneck guys. *SCREEEECH!* Haha, it's just so funny. And the most bizzare but funny page was when all the meat in the Butcher's shop came to life and he's like, "I'm gonna go on a journey to find myself..." Genius. Pure genius! :cool:
LOL, I know this sounds so strange to newbs who have no clue what I'm ranting about, but it really is great.
Ichigo_89

Postby Zane » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:58 am

Hey I just read the Marvel; The Call of Duty.
I really enjoyed that, and the art work was so clear in the Brotherhoos sections.
Has anyone else read any of it?
Zane

Postby Solid Ronin » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:28 pm

Oh! I forgot to ask does anyone here read the new Street Fighter series but Udon. Its a great series although I think the writing and art has been sliping..the best issues where the first 3..mostly the first.
Solid Ronin

Postby Zane » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:42 pm

Hey Ronin, Have u read the 1st Eastman & Lairds, Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles comic? It before it became a kids show and its all dark and like "their mutants... ninja turle mutants" , theres no pizza and no cowabunga.
You can read it online at http://www.ninjaturtles.com
go to the comics section and click on the eastman and lairds logo and theres a highlighted green link which takes u to the original tale, then click the 1st issue. and the comic should come up. PM me if u can't find it. Its a good read. :)
Zane

Postby brantelg » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:52 pm

Best american comics:

Bone: A charming, hilarious tale. I just recently bought the huge, one volume edition of this.
Usagi Yojimbo: Great, great comic of Japanese culture.
Maus: One of the greatest comics ever written. An enthralling story of WW2.
Kingdom Come: Alex. Ross. Best Painter Ever. Nuff Said.
The Tick: Hilarity.
Impulse: A semi-old comic about a kid Flash from the future. Very funny stuff.
brantelg

Postby Solid Ronin » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:03 pm

Zane wrote:Hey Ronin, Have u read the 1st Eastman & Lairds, Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles comic? It before it became a kids show and its all dark and like "their mutants... ninja turle mutants" , theres no pizza and no cowabunga.
You can read it online at http://www.ninjaturtles.com
go to the comics section and click on the eastman and lairds logo and theres a highlighted green link which takes u to the original tale, then click the 1st issue. and the comic should come up. PM me if u can't find it. Its a good read. :)

......Freind..I own the fouth priting of that issue..and got it signed by Peter Laird....In short yeah I know about the true TMNT..in fact I was thinking about Making a banner of the second page speard when the Turtles jump at the purples dragons,..or when you first see them...have you seen the new statues..oh man they look sweet...Nice to meet another fan of the true TMNT..
Solid Ronin

Postby Zane » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:03 pm

Yeah thats me, its great to know that it started off all 'batman-like'... ie dark, and so now that we're older the turtles grow in maturity as we do. And get this Ang Lee (crouching tiger, hidde dragon/hulk director) I think it was him back in 2000 thought of making a fully CGI movie of the original TMNT, like eastman style Im talking... but I has been shelved for an indeterminal amount of time, or wait I just checked i think it was john woo, heres the site.

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808406200

Or go to http://www.upcomingmovies.com (its in gregs preview within the yahoo movie site) go to genre and under superhero or animated its listed.
It really really sucks that it was shelved.... hopefully with the current reintroduction of TMNT theyll get around to doing it. *crossed fingers*

Oh and definatly make a banner, with something like CAA Turtle Lovers or something, and Ill take one aswell :) I can make to banner things myself, but that would ROCK.
Zane

Postby Gypsy » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:01 am

I never got into comics when I was younger (unless they were Archie or Sonic) but over the past couple months I've become quite the rabid X-men fan. Right now I'm picking up the X-treme X-men graphic novels. I love Western art and manga, but I don't like to see them mixed with one another. As much as I like manga, I don't like seeing elements of it in my Western comics. It's like mixing pizza and ice cream. Both are excellent foods, but they should be enjoyed seperately.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:33 am

The Crow
Lenore
Johhny the Homicidal Maniac
The Sandman Chronicles
Spawn
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby oro! » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:05 pm

Gypsy wrote: Both are excellent foods, but they should be enjoyed seperately.

I donno. I think it would taste great! Especially if you're in a hurry! :lol:
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby RoyalWing » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:45 pm

Noooo---- I missed the conversation on "the Sandman" ! XD But I'll quickly say what I need to say:

I read the first one, and then I think the beginning of the second one.
I did liked the main character. Especially with the last chapter, when they changed the artist I think he was very well drawn, and you could see what type of person he was more. But! I thought a lot of the things in the story were unnessary disgusting, even if some had a nice ending. Sometimes it just really disturbed me. ^-^;; So after reading the story about his "love interest" in the beginning of #2 I just dropped it.
I really liked these parts. :sweat:
[spoiler] When he goes to hell and wins against that demon. By saying "Then I am hope." the demon just went "then I am... err... ah... oh." I thought it was a very 'righteous' victory? XD Don't know how to say it~ [/spoiler]
and..
[spoiler] The whole chapter about his sister Death. It was very peaceful, I thought, compared to the rest of the book. ^-^ [/spoiler]
The other American ones I read was some Spider-man. Spider-man is cool. :grin: We have this one called "The Very Best Of Spider-man". It's a collection of... well, the title says. ^v^ And I really do think the stories in that one are very very good, but since I didn't read THAT much Spider-man, I can't say if they are the best.

The only other thing I can think, is that I read one of my brother's , which is "Batman: The long Halloween" I think it's called. Not only did I not understand almost everything but somehow it did scare me. I think I understood who did all those things in the end, maybe that's why. (I never would have expected that person!) I don't like Batman that much, so can't have a real opinion though!
RoyalWing

Postby Zane » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:19 pm

When you're older re-read the 'Long Halloween', because it is REALLY good, in my pov. Because like you don't 'really' know who the killer is;

[SPOILER] In the end it was 2-Face's wife, but remeber in the tunnel, there was that guy with the glasses, who tryed to kill Commisonr Gordon, but Batman saved him... he was also a killer, he killed some people. And what about 2-Face himself, he swore to take down the Roman, and was filling off the Guns serial numbers.
Was there only one killer, or a bunch of killers who just never realized someone-else was also killing. :eyebrow:[/SPOILER]

Its a great read though.
Zane

Postby righteous_slave » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:45 am

I had heard a lot about the original TMNT series, but never got to see any of it. That was awesome. Thanks for the link, Zane.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby SnowLeopard » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:28 pm

I've had fun reading the Ultimate spider-man comic books. I also enjoy the old Fantastic Four comic books because they are so hilariously bad.

I have a mind like a steel trap. Rusty, unsafe, and illegal in 48 states.

Forgive my idiosyncrasies, for if they did not exist, neither would I.
SnowLeopard

Postby righteous_slave » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:09 am

This thread sent me to my bookshelf to pull Gregory off and look at it again. A series of wierd stories about a crudley drawn little boy in a straightjack, a talking mouse who keeps getting killed and reincarnated as....a mouse again, and just generaly wierd stuff. There is some harsh language in it, just as a warning.
ImageImage

righteous_slave

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:55 am

I'm not big on most American comics (too many superhero dodgy ones).
I'm more into Tintin (although he is a Belgian comic).
Of American comics I enjoy: most Batman comics, many of the Disney comics from the 40's to the forever, Felix the Cat, and Meridan.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby BigZam » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:05 pm

I'm kinda still inta marvel stuff...i like more of the realistic type stuff, while at the same time i like the fantasy stuff. The three comic series that i REFUSE to read are
1.Sandman
2.Watchmen(DC gone wrong...)
and worst of all..
3.Johnny the Homicidal Maniac(c-c-c-creepy...)

I started reading TinTin, and those are pretty dang good, probably the best mystery comic out there. But i read all the ones our public library had to offer.

Another surprisingly good series is the Transformers series. It seems like it would be a little kid thing, but it's actually a very deep story. Again, I read all the ones our library had.
gone for good...
BigZam

Next

Return to Book Corner