Shakespeare

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Shakespeare

Postby Jaltus-bot » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:40 am

Hi,

Hamlet was one of my favorite things that Shakespeare wrote. does anyone else have any favorites?

I've never read Julius Caesar. I've read MacBeth, Romeo and Juliey, A Midsummer Night's Dream, king Lear, Othello, and Hamlet which is the first I ever read of Shakespeare. I've alse read a few sonnets by him. I've seen Othello performed at school and it was well done. I've seen an old video version of Romeo and Juliet and or Taming of the Shrew. I saw Hamlet from PBS when it was on a while back. I also saw Ten Things I Hate About You based on Taming of the Shrew.
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby SManBeyond » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:07 am

Even though King Lear is said to be the best of the four tragedies, my favorite Shakespeare play is Othello. Even though you kind of have to buy the whole package for the play to work, I love it because of the villain Iago. Even though the end is unsatisfactory to me, he is such a fascinating character.

My favorites also include King Lear, Hamlet, As You Like It (I saw a GREAT production at Oxford University) and Antony and Cleopatra.
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby Golden_Griff » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:23 pm

Hamlet is among my favorites too. Others I like include Othello, MacBeth, Much Ado About Nothing, and The Comedy of Errors.
My art album! (Click Here!) :cool:

Proud member of P.W.M.O.U.W.I.A.T.M.A. : People Who Make Odd and Ugly Words In an Attempt To Make Acronymns.

"You don't have to be great to start, but you do have to start to be great."--Joe Sabah
Golden_Griff

Postby Staci » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:36 pm

Favorite Tragedy/Drama - Hamlet
Favorite Comedy - The Comedy of Errors

:thumb:
Member of the CAA Book Club
Staci

Postby c.t.,girl » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:45 pm

hamlet and romeo and juliet
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:08 pm

to be honest, the only one I can remember anything about is Romeo and Juliet. I like it a lot, and I also like the movie version that Baz Luhrmann did a few years back.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Zane » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:18 pm

Zane

Postby c.t.,girl » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:20 pm

Zane wrote:Julius Caesar is not bad either.

oh yah i forgot about that one. i loved that one.
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Scribs » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:24 pm

I saw Twelfth Night this summer and enjoyed it greatly.

Much ado about nothing is good
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby ClosetOtaku » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:46 pm

Hamlet is my favorite by far. I've taken a liking to King Lear. Also up there is Romeo and Juliet. I've also wanted to see Richard III on stage for some time, but haven't gotten the chance. Have seen Twelfth Night and Two Gentlemen of Verona by professional troupes, good but not the best plays out there.

I did see an outstanding production of The Merchant of Venice with Hal Holbrook as Shylock. Although a somewhat controversial play in this politically correct age, Holbrook played the role in such a way that defused any accusations of anti-Semitism on Shakespeare's part. It's too bad it hasn't always been played that way.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby EireWolf » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:31 pm

I haven't seen much Shakespeare performed, but I do like A Midsummer Night's Dream and Hamlet.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby Jaltus-bot » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:38 pm

Hamlet is great. :)

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby Banana-chan » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:12 am

Hamlet , Macbeth, A Midsummer Nights Dream, and Romeo and Juliet were the ones ive enjoyed out of the ones ive gone through or seen. Shakespeare is great. As You Like It was pretty good. I found a monologue to do from there. The monologue was for an audition. Man was it confusing lol :lol:
C.T.'s pet chipmunk and daughter. I love my daddy and mommy!

C.T.= Daddy
AgentSmith700=Mommy!

Pets/People I've adopted:
-Sunako (Half Kitty)
-Wingzero22 (Wolf)
-Nami (Tiger)
-Ky Kiske (something from the ocean ^^;;;; )
-Firestorm (Flame kitty)
-Sonic_13
-Sakura15 (wolf)
-Agentsmith700 (Yes i adopted my mother...he's a turtle! X3)

Granddaughter: Shadowchild
Banana-chan

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:35 am

I'm actually in a Shakespeare class right now in college. Surprised also am I that it took this long to get a Shakespeare thread up. I have a little bit of background with Shakespeare. I've read: Julius Ceaser, MacBeth, Romeo and Juliet, Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Othello, and Much Ado About Nothing, that one about a hundred times. I was in the play in high school, so there's the explanation.

Some scholar was saying that Shakespeare has developed the human psyche. Or, that Shakespeare has taught us to be human, through his presentation and development of deep, internal, psychologically charged characters. Being a Christian, I know this to be untrue, but it still is interesting to think about...
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby SnowLeopard » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:15 pm

My alltime favorite has to be Twelvth Night, but Julius Caeser and Taming of the Shrew are pretty up there too. I think the reason that Shakespere has stuck around for so long is the fact that the way people act doesn't change, even though customs might.

I have a mind like a steel trap. Rusty, unsafe, and illegal in 48 states.

Forgive my idiosyncrasies, for if they did not exist, neither would I.
SnowLeopard

Postby Jaltus-bot » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:16 pm

Shakespeare did do a wonderful job capturing human nature in writing.

Jaltus-bot

Postby AsterlonKnight » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:59 am

GAH@Hamlet. I'd never encountered a story that could put me to sleep exactly every two pages before this. I literally would fall asleep.

I liked Macbeth, Othello (I think I was the only girl in my class who did...the others prefered Wuthering Heights. Bleck.), Julius Caesar, A Midsummer's Night Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, The Taming of the Shrew and a couple others. My mum got me a book of his comedies. ^_^

Please, to the person who said they saw 10 Things, please please please read The Taming of the Shrew!!!! 10 Things is very loosely based on it, and really does it no justice. :( Besides, Taming is a fun story. :) Unless you end up disliking it for the reason someone I know does....she missed the point completely...
Laughter is timeless
Imagination has no age
And Dreams are forever~Disney

Be true! Be true! Be true! Show freely to the world, if not your worst, yet some trait whereby the worst may be inferred!~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
AsterlonKnight

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:51 am

I think Romeo and Juliet was my least favourite of Shakespeare's plays. Of course, it was basically a remake of older material with a little anglicisation (Cappelletti->Capulet and such).
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby agasfas » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:19 pm

though i'm not into shakespeare much, I would say Hamlet is one of the few i like.
-------------------------
agasfas

Postby Technomancer » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:20 pm

Hamlet and King Lear are definately my two favourites. I've only seen 'Taming of the Shrew', 'Midsummer's Night Dream' and 'Macbeth' actually performed on stage though (rather than on film).

Out of curiosity, has any one seen 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead'? If not, you really should, it's hilarious. As the name implies it involves the same two minor characters from Hamlet, and dips in and out of the play. It's kind of like 'Waiting for Godot' on happy pills.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Ingemar » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:25 pm

I have read the beginning part of R&G are Dead. When I did, I was in the middle of AP testing so I didn't have time to get into it. I found that game they were playing odd, but ironic.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Jaltus-bot » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:53 pm

I saw 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead' years ago of PBS. I don't really remember it, but it was really good.

Jaltus-bot

Postby greyscale42 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:20 am

I havent read Hamlet. :/ but so far out of all ive read Id say a Midsummer Nights Dream is my favorite.
greyscale42

Postby starfire » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:24 pm

sheherazade wrote:Hi,

Hamlet was one of my favorite things that Shakespeare wrote. does anyone else have any favorites?

I've never read Julius Caesar. I've read MacBeth, Romeo and Juliey, A Midsummer Night's Dream, king Lear, Othello, and Hamlet which is the first I ever read of Shakespeare. I've alse read a few sonnets by him. I've seen Othello performed at school and it was well done. I've seen an old video version of Romeo and Juliet and or Taming of the Shrew. I saw Hamlet from PBS when it was on a while back. I also saw Ten Things I Hate About You based on Taming of the Shrew.

I am a Hamlet fan as well. Anyone like Les Miserables? Get the musical! It is the best! Also... EPONINE ROCKS!
starfire

Postby Jasdero » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:33 am

Shakespeare's Hamlet and A Midsummer Night's Dream are my favorite. Romeo and Juliet didn't get much appreciation from me. It just completely annoyed me. Yes, the lesson learned is good, but it was pain to read it, and then watch two versions of the movie [in class].

starfire wrote:I am a Hamlet fan as well. Anyone like Les Miserables? Get the musical! It is the best! Also... EPONINE ROCKS!

Les Miserables was good. I don't think I've seen the musical, but I did see one movie rendition of it when I was about 8, and again only a few months ago.
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Lady Arianrod » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:31 pm

My favorites are Hamlet and Macbeth. Othello is decent and so is The Tempest. I've also read Julius Caesar and Romeo and Juliet, both of which are good.

What I really want to read, however, is A Midsummer Night's Dream. ^__^
~Life is the art of drawing without an eraser~

Lady Arianrod, lover of nature and fire.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby EvilSporkofDoom » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:25 pm

Hamlet is definitely my favourite. I also quite like Macbeth, Richard III, Much Ado about Nothing, Julius Caesar, and A Winter's Tale. I'm ashamed to say I haven't read/seen the play of A Midsummer's Night Dream yet, though I've been wanting to for years, and I also especially want to read/see King Lear.
I'm pretty much sick of Romeo and Juliet, though.
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
-Hebrews 11:6

EvilSporkofDoom

Postby Lady Arianrod » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:28 pm

EvilSporkofDoom wrote:Hamlet is definitely my favourite. I also quite like Macbeth, Richard III, Much Ado about Nothing, Julius Caesar, and A Winter's Tale. I'm ashamed to say I haven't read/seen the play of A Midsummer's Night Dream yet, though I've been wanting to for years, and I also especially want to read/see King Lear.
I'm pretty much sick of Romeo and Juliet, though.

King Lear! I wanted to read that and and A Winter's Tale.

I like the name Florizel. ^___^ :dance:

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby Jaltus-bot » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:01 am

Wow, people are still posting here. :P

AsterlonKnight wrote:Please, to the person who said they saw 10 Things, please please please read The Taming of the Shrew!!!! 10 Things is very loosely based on it, and really does it no justice. :( Besides, Taming is a fun story. :) Unless you end up disliking it for the reason someone I know does....she missed the point completely...

I saw Ten Things I Hate About You. I also saw an older video of Taming of the Shrew, so I know the basic story even if I didn't read it yet. Yes, it is a great story.

*Notes Les Mis mentions, goes off to make thread*

Jaltus-bot

Postby Lady Arianrod » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:03 pm

sheherazade wrote:Wow, people are still posting here. :P

I saw Ten Things I Hate About You. I also saw an older video of Taming of the Shrew, so I know the basic story even if I didn't read it yet. Yes, it is a great story.

*Notes Les Mis mentions, goes off to make thread*

yes! Make a Les miserables thread! I like the book and musical, but not the movie...

Lady Arianrod

Return to Book Corner