Robert Jordon- oh when will the wheel roll on?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Robert Jordon- oh when will the wheel roll on?

Postby Scribs » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:59 pm

I have just dug my way through Wheel of time book 10 The Crossroads of Twighlight and due to the fact that it ended in a cliffhanger, I would like to know how long we must wait before the next installment (and I dont mean another flamin prequil!)

Imagine that the computer is Robert Jordon and I am the Smiley face :comp:

That is how I feel.

I need some Info soon!
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:05 pm

I, personally, gave up on this series some time ago. In my mind the Wheel should have stopped rolling some time ago. Robert Jordan is a pretty good author, but either he has never learned how to write concisely or he's milking the series for money (quite possible). But after I got through one book (near seven, perhaps?) and realized how little had actually happened, I decided to abandon the series.

Sory, I don't have any information for you.
uc pseudonym

Postby Scribs » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:15 pm

You are quite right in the respect that the series is going slow and it just slows down after book 7, but tis fact just angers me further!

Imagine once again that the computer is Robert Jordon and I am the Smiley face :comp: :comp: :comp: :comp: :comp: :comp:
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Staci » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:35 pm

I also stopped reading the series after book seven because of the same reasons UC stated.

http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Knife_of_Dreams/

There is information on book eleven, apparnetly titled "Knife of Dreams". It will be released (supposidly) in October, 2005. I hope that helps. ^_^
Member of the CAA Book Club
Staci

Postby Scribs » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:58 pm

Ahhhh

Thank you, All news is better than uncertainty.

However... October 05... Thats Over 14 Months :eyebrow:

:mutter:

:comp: You Know what that means by now
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:35 am

Do we have any idea how many books this series will be when it is finished? My friends and I have joked that Rand and the Dark One will face off... and then fight for the next three books.
uc pseudonym

Postby Staci » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:49 am

My last information on that subject was the series would consist of fourteen books... Though Robert Jordan likes being a puppet master - apparently - so that will change on a whim when his fans get comfortable with one idea.

Besides, he's already stated that one of the last words in the last sentence of the book will be "wheel". I'm assuming that Rand will not succeed in eliminating the DO, merely sealing him away once more so the "wheel" can continue turning. This is all just my theories on the subject, please do not take them to heart!

There is speculation the next Age is our own - Rand has seen glimpses of metal birds in the sky, et cetera. Blah blah blah. *SNOOOORE* ~_^

It is a well-written series, though, and it's the latest one to rival with Tolkien's works. It just drags after book eight. (Rival, not surpass, heehee.)
Staci

Postby Scribs » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:09 am

14... I had heard 12 and 3 prequils

It dosn't really matter either way.

You may be right, I may be Wrong, who knows
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby madphilb » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:25 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Do we have any idea how many books this series will be when it is finished? My friends and I have joked that Rand and the Dark One will face off... and then fight for the next three books.

It is kinda starting to feel like the DBZ Anime of Fantasy Novels, isn't it? ;)
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:06 am

I think I read a review once where RJ basically said he knows how it will end, but he's going to keep writing drivel like this as long as people keep buying them. He has officaily and TOTALLY sold out.

*sigh*

Reminds me a bit of Herbert...
Mithrandir

Postby Staci » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:56 am

oldphilosopher wrote:He has officaily and TOTALLY sold out.

*sigh* So true and so sad. Think of how many starving authors out there that would leap at the chance to be published and then there are meanies out there like that. *shakes her head*
Staci

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:28 pm

oldphilosopher wrote:I think I read a review once where RJ basically said he knows how it will end, but he's going to keep writing drivel like this as long as people keep buying them. He has officaily and TOTALLY sold out.

That is terrible to hear. Oh the atrocity...
uc pseudonym

Postby Scribs » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:47 pm

oldphilosopher wrote:I think I read a review once where RJ basically said he knows how it will end, but he's going to keep writing drivel like this as long as people keep buying them.

He'd better be careful or people will stop buying them. Well at least then he might finish the series
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Staci » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:00 pm

Watch, he'll get what he really wants... To kick the bucket before he finishes the series. There is a clause in his will - since he does have the entire series mapped out in files on his computer - that his hard drives will be wiped in case he passes on before finishing the Wheel of Time.

:sweat: What a meanie.
Member of the CAA Book Club
Staci

Postby Scribs » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:14 pm

:eyebrow: thats despicable!
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Kkun » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:27 pm

Actually, oldphilosopher, the thing about continuing to write drivel since people will buy it isn't technically correct. The official length of the series is going to be 12 books. Jordan said this in an interview about a month or so ago. If I can find it again, I'll post it later.

I enjoyed the books, even though he does take too long to describe even the most insignificant details. The story is intriguing, and some of the characters are great (although there are several that you just wish a stray meteor would come and crunch them). Hopefully Knife of Dreams will have quite a bit of resolution (as opposed to the prevalent positioning of characters in Crossroads of Twilight) before Tarmon Gai'don comes about in book 12...
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Scribs » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:00 pm

Ah ha, I thought I had heard there would be 12.

There are some excellent charachters. Thom, Lan, Loyal.

Unfortunatly most of the main charachters are idiots. (Mat, Rand, Elayne, ect...)
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:47 pm

I have found that in general the main character of any series is an idiot. There are exceptions to this rule, but I would term them just that: exceptions.

Mayhaps if I hear the last book was good I will finish the series. I doubt I could just skip to the last book and keep up with that many characters in addition to new ones.
uc pseudonym

Postby Scribs » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:17 pm

:lol: that would be hard because there are like 30 main charachters and he adds several new ones in each book!
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Namelessknight » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:56 pm

When Crossroads of Twilight came out, Jordan came for a booksigning at a local bookstore, and in his talking to us all, he said he would finish up the series in 2-3books. So while others here have said 2, I'm gonna bet on 3 because Jordan has sold out. However, the prequels are pretty good. I have decided not to read anymore until he finishes the series. I'll buy them[i belong to the sfbc, so i get hardbacks cheap], but won't read them. Once it is done, I will read the whole series. That way i'll be able to keep track of who is who :)
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby Scribs » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:09 pm

Hmmm... perhaps you are right, with the 50+ charachters it would be hard to keep track after waitng for a year or two, on the other hand, If we wait till they are all out, we will probably forgotten the whole plot and possibly even have forgotten the fact that the series exists in the first place.

Wow, is that just one sentence? I hope it is easy to understand!
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Obsessorx » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:37 pm

All I can say is Perrin is awesome. And I hope the wheel is crushed in the end.
Best thing ever: Beef stew
Anime....must be interesting... :bang: :bang: :bang: :angel: :rock:
Yes I obsess...just not in the way that guy's thinking *points behind*...
And no one responds to my writing...
Obsessorx

Postby Arnobius » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:13 pm

I remember tha series. I caught up with Jordan around #5. It was excellent through #6.

But then it started falling off. #7 was not quite as good as #6, #8 was weak. #9 was so unspiring, that I picked up the softcover and was about 2/3 through it before I realized that I had already read it in hardcover!

#10 was just stupid. Rand and Nynaeve's important action at the end of 9 (if I'm not blurring my books events) is commented on by every individual in book 10, but the actual events don't seem to accomplish anything.

The cliffhanger seemed forced, and actually seemed to be a rehashing of what happened to Faille earlier in the series (and has yet to be resolved after 2 books).

I'll keep following them, but have no intention to buy the hardcover anymore unless the book turns out to be critically acclaimed.
Arnobius

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:23 pm

I've read book 1 and 2 in the series and they were good, not great. I began book three and I realised it was becoming a bit derivative to me. So I'm not a fan of the guy. He had some good ideas, but so did Terry Brooks and he was a Tolkien hack.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby pyro_moogle » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:34 pm

I read one and started on two. Many of my friends like them and keep encouraging me to read them, but I am too busy with the many Star Wars books I am reading. I introduced my friend to them and he got to book six in a week. He reads like no tomorrow. I wish I could do it so I could finish book reports for school.
[{ Waste of Paint }]
pyro_moogle

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:39 am

I was given the first 8 books by my step father so I read them and enjoyed them. Bought the next and read and I am still bying them but the reason is after reading more than half the series I cant just give up I need to know how it ends who gets with who how many for how long. I finally got 1 other person to read the books so that I can talk to him about it. Yet in doing so I had to read books that he wanted me to read The dragon price and dragon star triligies my meliena rawn or something like that and I say wile waiting for the next wot book its a great book to read as well as the Thomas covenat trilogies another good series.

And you know why there so good not only good story telling when they were writen they knew how long they would be 3 books and you know what there three books of course both have a followup triligy but you dont have to read them their a new story with the same characters. Best of all they have been out for something like 20 years so you know there done.
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby Scribs » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:40 am

yes, the only thing keeping me interested in the series is the question of what will happen at the end. I have still heard no news as to when book #11 will be coming out.
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Namelessknight » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:35 pm

I suspect that the next book in the original series won't come out until the prequels are finished. But that is just my opinion....
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby Arnobius » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:32 pm

Namelessknight wrote:I suspect that the next book in the original series won't come out until the prequels are finished. But that is just my opinion....

Are there more prequels to come? It didn't seem necessary, as the prequel written seemed to explain what would be plot points for 8-10 in how the Aes Sedai operated.
Arnobius

Postby MasterDias » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:33 pm

I've considered looking into them and all, but it seemed too drawn out and long for me to really spend the time reading.

Ah, well...
I might still look into the series at a later date.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Next

Return to Book Corner