Harry Potter

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby madphilb » Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:53 pm

mechana2015 wrote:Now that thats covered... I NEVER WANT TO WORK IN A BOOKSTORE DURING A HARRY POTTER RUSH EVER AGAIN!
:bang:

hehehe.... I asked the clerk at Borders if they thought they'd sell many of those Harry Potter books about a week or so before the last book came out... she just laughed at me. O_o

I picked up my reserved copy in the afternoon... wasn't too bad by then, but Borders wasn't selling un-reserved copies as I recall.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:27 pm

I work in a small bookstore serving a tourist community.... we were the only bookstore serving a school district with 8,000 kids in it. I got mine at Target easy that day (I live in a mtn. community 30 minutes from the nearest major city), but when I went into work, everyone... tourists, locals, everyone, wanted it. We sold out of about 80 of them before closing that day, and I didn't touch my book for two weeks.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Inferno » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:32 pm

madphilb wrote:The closest HP comes to being like real life are the divination classes (and a bit of astrology). Divination is about the only thing I'm moderatly uncomfortable with,

This is how I feel too.
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby Inferno » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:37 pm

blue elf wrote: personally my favorite characters are Lupin and Snape. ^_^
-BlueElf

YOU LIKE SNAPE? HE'S THE GUY YOUR SOPOSED TOO HATE!

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby MasterDias » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:51 pm

Well, Snape is one of the most interesting characters in the books.

He is the type of person that, with regards to his personality, you would think to be on the villian's side. And yet he is, at this point at least, technically one of the good guys.

It will be interesting to see where Rowling takes Snape in the future books.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby madphilb » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:18 pm

I got to admit, while I don't have great love for Snape, he's an interesting character, and I do feel for him a bit after what we see of him in Book 5.

I agree, it will be interesting to see where Rowling takes him in the next two.

BTW, anyone think she'll do Prequills after she's done with the HP storyline?
PHIL

madphilb

Postby Inferno » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:49 am

MasterDias wrote:Well, Snape is one of the most interesting characters in the books.

He is the type of person that, with regards to his personality, you would think to be on the villian's side. And yet he is, at this point at least, technically one of the good guys.

It will be interesting to see where Rowling takes Snape in the future books.

ya, I guess your right. he's not all bad.

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby MasterDias » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:27 pm

madphilb wrote:BTW, anyone think she'll do Prequills after she's done with the HP storyline?

It's possible, I suppose. Or she could do sequals. Although, at the rate she's releasing books now, it will be quite a while before we get there.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Inferno » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:19 am

MasterDias wrote:It's possible, I suppose. Or she could do sequals. Although, at the rate she's releasing books now, it will be quite a while before we get there.

ya I know! She realeses them like every five years or somthing. I thing It's for suspense.

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby madphilb » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:03 pm

Actually it only dropped off in the last book, and she had several other things going on (including getting married!). We just got the last book in 2003, the next is to come out in, what? 2005? We should be ok.
PHIL

madphilb

Postby DrNic » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:39 pm

Personally I USED to love the HP books but I only put 'Its Ok' in the poll. My reasons? Well theres two main ones:

1.) I hate kiddy spin-offs, merchandising and stuff like that. As soon as HP was the dream boy of all little 6 yr old girls I kinda backed off a little.

2.) I know some of you will already know this but one of my most loathed things (along with reality tv, soaps, pop music and dbz) is child actors *goes into rant mode*, seriously, I can't stand child actors, they really, really bug me. Its just the fact that these kids try to act all adult and buy ridiculess things like $300,000 cars when they are too young to drive. Most of them start taking drugs and stuff because they think that they're allowed to JUST because they're famous :bang: ...*turns rant mode off quickly*, I was going to type a lot more but I realised I REALLY was just about to rant :brow: . Bad idea.

The second movie was ok, the first sucked a bit. Harry Potter isn't evil but he's kinda annoying. End talking...

:dance: :dance: :dance:
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby Staci » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:43 pm

I love the Harry Potter novels. Compared to what I normally ready - Wheel of Time, Terry Goodkind's novels, and anything else daunting looking - it is truly a treat to sit down and breeze through a highly entertaining and lighthearted series.

As for it being of "the devil" - I take that with a grain of salt. ;)

Cheers and many blessings!
Member of the CAA Book Club
Staci

Postby Six » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:47 am

i have been involved many such a conversation as this, it generally came down to personal convictions, if you believe these books could cause you to struggle in your personal relationship with God or that God doesnt want you to read the books then dont. i encourage anyone about to choose whether or not to read these to pray about it before hand.

they are well written entertaining books but very frankly you can find much much better fantasy to consume your time with ( i recomend a book called Eragon) and actually if you have ever heard of the redwall series, thats a very good series to read and both of those are much better written and more entertaining than harry potter.
Six

Location: Pittsfield MA but i preffer Philly which is where I will be going to College

Postby TwilightKissC3 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:51 pm

I have read all of the books and as long as you dont make a faith out of it it's ok.
She's a great auther and the way she writes is awsome and she pulls you right into the story. i will love to read the next one but i can wait for it it's not on the top of my to do list but it's on there.
Image Image
TwilightKissC3

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:59 am

Harry Potter is a great series, if you look at it with an open mind, not an open faith. (Don't start believing in it, I mean, ya know?) I go to a private Christian school and they don't want us to read them. On one hand I can sorta understand, but on the other, not really. I mean, as long as we don't go around screaming 'Petrificus Totalus' at people, looking for hidden doors behind taverns, and trying to fly on our mom's broom, I think we're okay, ya know? :brow:

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby madphilb » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:52 am

Spirit_Wolf8356 wrote:as long as we don't go around screaming 'Petrificus Totalus' at people, looking for hidden doors behind taverns, and trying to fly on our mom's broom, I think we're okay, ya know? :brow:

Well... and if you do, the worst that would happen is everyone would look at you wierd (for screaming 'Petrificus Totalus'), you'd get all dirty and maybe even mugged (looking behind taverns), and hurt yourself (when that broom handle smacks you in the forehead when you fall flat on your face ;) )
PHIL

madphilb

Postby EvilSporkofDoom » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:02 am

I love Harry Potter. It's definitely one of my favourite series of all time.. J.K. Rowling has an amazing imagination and I find all the books highly engrossing. Gotta love the characters, too. The movies are pretty good as well (especially Chamber of Secrets) - I can't wait for the third one to come out this summer! :dance:

Anyone happen to know when the next book is going to be released?
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
-Hebrews 11:6

EvilSporkofDoom

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:22 pm

I hate it. Harry Potter glorifies Witch craft and Wizardry. EVIL!

(And what kinda bone head calls a school "Hog Warts?")
Shao Feng-Li

Postby madphilb » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:38 pm

Ruroken wrote:I hate it. Harry Potter glorifies Witch craft and Wizardry. EVIL!

So does The Lord of the Rings and the Narnia series... if you're willing to fairly evaluate each on content... and this Witchcraft and Wizardry is so unlike real life it's laughable (by Satanists and Wiccians even) to think that it represents anything in real life (and I know this cuz I've actually checked it out shudder).

Ruroken wrote:(And what kinda bone head calls a school "Hog Warts?")

A Bonehead with a sense of humor, a knack for a play on words, and lots and lots of money. ;) The same kind of question could be asked: "what kind of bonehead calls themself Ruroken?" But I thought that'd be over the top :lol:
PHIL

madphilb

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:07 pm

hog warts just sounds grose is all. besides im not much of a fan of the lord of the rings or narnia. at least the authors profesed to be cristians, or was it RC? better then satanist
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ZiP » Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:17 pm

Actually J.K. Rowling is suppossedly christian, and there is a reason this is called: "fantisy"

Anyone happen to know when the next book is going to be released

summer i belive
--To Write Love on Her Arms

"That time and absence proves - Rather helps than hurts to love."

"Feelings, emotions, they are good, but they cannot be Love's foundation. When of Love, these things last. When of romance, these things end."

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, it's what you are expected to give -- which is everything."
ZiP

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:45 pm

I have yet to read any of the books. I just rented 'Chamber of Secrets' on (grumblegrumble) VHS, and it was pretty good (although Ron had a constant squinty-faced expression and an annoying squeaky whine that was kinda hard to get over). I wouldn't mind giving one of the books a shot, really. I might like it and want to read the rest of them.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:31 am

The Harry Potter craze will probably be over by the time I decide to read them... I heard that they are INCREDIBLY LONG books... I've seen them in the stores, and even if they it is large print or something, one HP book was as big as my entire collection of Lord of the Rings... That makes "Narnia" look even smaller than it allready is (I can read any individual narnia book in an hour or 2.) The only thing I can ascertain from that is that if they made accurate movies for the Potter books, it should be possible with Narnia too...

If I do end up reading them, I'd like to get the originals rather than the schollastic release... I want to see it in it's original language, English, not in American, hehe...

My teacher got a kick out of this: アメリカ語

I have seen the two movies, and I liked Chamber of Secrets better as well, though I wasn't entirely opposed to "Philosopher's Stone."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby madphilb » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:07 pm

Ruroken wrote:hog warts just sounds grose is all. besides im not much of a fan of the lord of the rings or narnia. at least the authors profesed to be cristians, or was it RC? better then satanist

The only place it was ever written or said that Rowling was a satanist was in the Onion article (which has since fallen off their web site), and that was satire that was written to make fun of Christians who go around and call people satanists because they disagree with a subject they often don't have any 1st hand knowledge of.

In response far too many Christians took that piece of Satire and distributed it as fact, proving the point the author(s) was trying to make.

In case you won't just take my word for it:

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBUrbanMyths.shtml#potter

http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/potter.htm

http://www.urbanlegends.com/ulz/harrypotter.html

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa080900a.htm

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/h/harrypotter.htm

http://tmatt.gospelcom.net/column/2001/11/21

I also found this an interesting link, though I can't speak for the site itself, it seems to approach religious things from a more levelheaded approach, this pages deals specifically with witchcraft and the variants found through history in our real world (if any of the mods don't like the link, feel free to edit, but I've looked at the site before and they seem fairly ok):

http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_pott2.htm
PHIL

madphilb

Postby greyscale42 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:43 pm

JUST BECAUSE IT HAS THE WORD MAGIC IN IT DOESNT MEAN ITS EVIL.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS CALLED HAVING AN IIIIIIMAAAAGINAAAAAAAATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND ANOTHER THING!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CANT TELL ME ITS EVIL IF YOU'VE NEVER READ IT!!!!!!!!!!
THE MAGIC DESCRIBED IN ITS PAGES DOESNT EVEN RESEMBLE REAL WORLD WITCHCRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sry just had to say that.
My throat hurts

Ps (Im really gonna catch flak for this) We have a copy of the third Harry Potter Book in my church library. :?:
greyscale42

Postby madphilb » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:17 pm

greyscale42 wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might I recommend some decaf? :lol:

greyscale42 wrote:Ps (Im really gonna catch flak for this) We have a copy of the third Harry Potter Book in my church library. :?:

Actually, while that almost surprises me, there where churches who where using Harry Potter for ministry or some such.
PHIL

madphilb

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:34 pm

greyscale42 wrote:JUST BECAUSE IT HAS THE WORD MAGIC IN IT DOESNT MEAN ITS EVIL.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS CALLED HAVING AN IIIIIIMAAAAGINAAAAAAAATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND ANOTHER THING!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CANT TELL ME ITS EVIL IF YOU'VE NEVER READ IT!!!!!!!!!!
THE MAGIC DESCRIBED IN ITS PAGES DOESNT EVEN RESEMBLE REAL WORLD WITCHCRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a little confused here, you weren't very clear as to your opinion on the subject. Think you could simplify it a bit?
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby alf4office » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:23 am

I love Harry Potter! They're great books, and really not all that evil, like some people say. In fact, many of the polt points and stories are near direct parallels to the Gospel. I'f actually leads several very close friends of mine to Christ using the parallels found in Harry Potter. Plus they're so much fun to read. I can't wait till the next one comes out.
alf4office

Postby alf4office » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:32 am

Regarding the Whole "Wheteher HP is evil or not" discussion, I suggest two books. What's a Christian to do With Harry Potter and The Gospel According to Harry Potter, both by Connie Neal. The first books deal with the controversy regarding Harry Potter, and also go into the rumors and sucspicions of witchcraft connected to JK Rowling. The Second book goes beyond the controversy and shows how you can use Harry Potter books to preach the Gospel to a whole generation who love these books. I have found both of these books invaluable in my decision to read the books and highly suggest you check them out at connieneal.com or amazon.com
alf4office

Postby J_Howard » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:12 am

hmm i read some of the content from harry potter and its kinda like those children fairy tales in a way, of course they do try to "immortalise"(note the sacarsn :lol: ) that the magic is so real kids will believe it...yeah right... :cool: ... well some of the content may be icky especially since they do endorse casting a curse upon someone by teachin the characters to do that but its really not until that degrading still.

The thing i find it icky about harry potter is that is like making magic such a like those uber powerful things to believe instead of using technology and realistic tools instead...well thats fantasy, kinda pity the moggles always getting bashed by harry. I mean what would be chance harry would survive a M1 Abarms tank or sniper being aimed at him? (no offence :sweat: ) i mean in real life that is.... ;)
J_Howard

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner