C. S. Lewis

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Yeah, I'm late posting. Wanna fight about it?

Postby TwilightApostle » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:20 am

So no one's posted in here for two weeks, but I had to chime in because Lewis is by far my favorite Christian writer.

For everyone who said they haven't read the Space Trilogy: the first and third books are among his most subtly thought-provoking work. You may actually be offended at the last one for a little bit. I won't say why, though ;) .
The second book, Perelandra, has one part that scared me so much I had to sleep with the light on. I read that book when I was 20.

The Screwtape Letters is a great book, but surprisingly hard to find around me. It's filled with negative wisdom (the things Screwtape hates are the things we should aspire to). It's very easy to read since it's broken up into 2-5 page letters. Lewis said he never wanted to write a book like that again because it darkened his thoughts.

The Great Divorce is amazing, in my opinion. It's title is actually a response to a work called "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell," by a romantic poet whose name escapes me. There's nothing I can say about that book that won't sound like empty praise, because I value it so highly.

I know I'm new here, but would anyone like to get some sort of C.S. Lewis reading club started? Or does it already exist? Am I asking too many questions? Is this starting to ANNOY you?

Twilight Apostle
-If I lived 80 or so years ago, and was an attractive woman, and lived in England, and was literate, I'd marry C. S. Lewis. I bet we'd have some goofy-looking children. Wow, that's way too much speculation.-
TwilightApostle

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:42 am

That is probably too much speculation. Now if I was a...

I do not believe there is a reading club. There is a Guild system being set up, though I don't know if it has passed out of moderator's discussion tables yet. What exactly would you propose for such a group?
uc pseudonym

Postby TwilightApostle » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:53 am

Just a little discussion in this or a new thread. We agree on a book and spend time reading it, then convene and discuss the themes and how it spoke to us, if at all. There are a lot of things in Lewis' writing that can be discussed, and I like hearing other peoples' feelings on things like that.
TwilightApostle

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:58 am

That strikes me as a very good idea. This thread could well serve that purpose, but if our Guild function is currently operating I don't see why we couldn't do that as well. Did you have anything in particular on your mind? I'd be happy to discuss anything (though I've read the space trilogy most recently).
uc pseudonym

Postby TwilightApostle » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:16 am

Actually, I was thinking of starting with the Space Trilogy, since Out of the Silent Planet is short and not too dense with stuff.
As for anything on my mind, not much right now, except for how Malacandra really resembles pre-colonization America, with the respect for nature and no personal property thing. But I wanna save that for after some other folks have a chance to read it.

By the way, what's the Guild function?
TwilightApostle

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:22 am

I won't speak about it [the Guild function] at the moment. I checked, and it is currently deactivated. At a later date I may bring this up again.

Very well, we could postpone discussion until others have read the first book. However, I believe there are a fair number of individuals who already have that post here on CAA...
uc pseudonym

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:19 am

Mave wrote:*sneaks into the book forum*

I'll start reading C.S. Lewis books from this week onwards. Any recommendations of which non-fiction titles I should start with?

Haven't been around much lately, or I would have already replied to you, Mave. Sorry. I think "The Four Loves" is a great book, and it isn't very long (maybe about 150pp), and "Mere Christianity" is very interesting, though I don't entirely know what he meant in some of the things he discussed. I guess I get confused or something. Anyway, there's a bit of the non-fiction I'd suggest.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby ChronoSword » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:28 am

My favorite are Mere Christianity and The ScrewTape Letters. I have not read any of the others except for book one of the narnia series, but I hope to read some more in the future.
ChronoSword

Postby greyscale42 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:52 pm

Recreational:
The Chronicals of Narnia

Christian Growth:
Screwtape Letters

Havent read any non-fiction.
greyscale42

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:00 pm

glitch1501 wrote:thanks jedi sonic, now im definatly going to read them, i love space books

Beware. I love the space trilogy, but CS Lewis tried to make the books as un-sci-fi as possible. He tried to go against HG Wells negative world view of the universe (all aliens are evil bent on destroying the universe) and also instilled the book with a medieval world view as well. In another forums where I take part (dedicated to CS Lewis) we're having long discussions about the "Out of the Silent Planet" (first book in the space trilogy) and everything CS Lewis meant by it. It's a very good read but don't expect Star Wars.

Interesting note of trivia: Brian May (of the band Queen) said that if he was left alone on a desert island, the one book he'd like to take with him in "Out of the Silent Planet" by CS Lewis.
bigsleepj

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:15 am

That is an interesting bit of trivia. In my response to the same question, however, I'd have to go with a famous Mennonite theologian: "A Practical Guide to Shipbuilding, of course."

It isn't Star Wars, but it's much closer to real science fiction, in that he does explore honest science concepts (though they're a bit old by this point). Also, in many ways they are social science fiction, which is often more interesting.

And I should point out the third book is far from science fiction. In many ways, I did not enjoy it as much as the others.
uc pseudonym

Rock the Boat!

Postby TwilightApostle » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:15 am

Yeah, That Hideous Strength is a little...different. For the sake of not spoiling things, I'll just say that there are a few things that one may disagree with. It's basically a fictionalized version of what he was trying to say in The Abolition of Man.
By the way, if anyone's still interested in a little Lewis reading club in this thread, we'll start with Out of the Silent Planet in one week. It's a real quick read, and entertaining.

Twilight Apostle
-"That black mage keeps casting a death spell on my GPA!"-
TwilightApostle

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:53 pm

Am I required to reread it to contribute to the club discussion?
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:09 pm

I've read the first two books of the Space Trilogy. They are thought-provoking and very interesting. I could probably take part in the discussion if I don't have to reread it right now. I'm pretty busy.
I haven't gotton around to reading That Hideous Strength yet. I'll probably get it from the library this summer.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby thalia » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:51 am

I've wanted to read Lewis's sci-fi trilogy for ages, but I can not find a copy of any of the books anywhere!!! None of the local libraries have them, I've checked multiple times and I scoured Books-A-Million over, but with no luck. Maybe I should check Barnes & Noble, but it's like a 45 minute drive from my house. :(
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow

Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but with a whimper.

-from T. S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men"
thalia

Postby TwilightApostle » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:43 pm

If you've already read OOTSP and you remember it's basic plot and theme, then I see no reason to reread it (except for pleasure, of course).
TwilightApostle

Postby glitch1501 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:13 pm

i really want to read the space trilogy, but im reading eli right now, i guess ill read the first one next

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby MasterDias » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:44 pm

thalia wrote:I've wanted to read Lewis's sci-fi trilogy for ages, but I can not find a copy of any of the books anywhere!!! None of the local libraries have them

I would think that would be a little odd. Lewis is a pretty well-known author. My library carries the Space Trilogy. But perhaps those three books aren't as common as his other works...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby PreventerWind » Wed May 19, 2004 1:20 pm

I read The Chronicles of Narnia in school when I was a kid like most of you probably did. I've been swearing to myself that I'd go back and re-read them but I have yet to do so. There are just too many good reads out right now! One day soon, hopefully.

:grin:
PreventerWind

Postby glitch1501 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:23 pm

i just read "out of the silent planet" and i was wondering if anyone would be willing to pm me about the ending, it kinda confused me, so if anyone here says yes, then ill pm you with my questions, thanks

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Passion - Kutless
glitch1501

Postby Betafish » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:07 pm

I've only read the Chronicles of Narnia series, but I really like them! I think it'd be soo cool if they made some Chronicles of Narnia movies that were as good as the Lord of the Rings movies! In fact... i've heard some rumors that there were going to be some new Chronicles of Narnia movies coming out, but I haven't seen any real proof, so...
Anybody else hear about that?
Betafish

Postby SManBeyond » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:16 pm

Yes, they are doing movies of the Chronicles of Narnia. The special effects team (WETA) is the same one that did LOTR. You can find an old thread on the movie here.
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby Ssjjvash » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:50 pm

My fav. C.S. Lewis book would be from his Narnia series: The Lion, the Witch...
because... [SPOILER=spoilertopic]I thought it was so cool how Aslan represented Jesus' death and resurrection at the end! I must have read the whole series about three times, plus I saw the movies. The books were better.[/SPOILER] :thumbsup:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby glitch1501 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:01 pm

Ssjjvash wrote:My fav. C.S. Lewis book would be from his Narnia series: The Lion, the Witch...
because I thought it was so cool how Aslan represented Jesus' death and resurrection at the end! I must have read the whole series about three times, plus I saw the movies. The books were better. :thumbsup:

maybe put spoiler tags on there?

Glitch's Photostream

Passion - Kutless
glitch1501

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:07 am

Definitely The Screwtape Letters. I've read over half of Lewis' novels and essays, and I like a number of them, including The Great Divorce, The Four Loves, and Mere Christianity. However, Screwtape is an easy read, yet very deep in its message. Well worth picking up if you haven't done so already. Look for the version with both the Preface and Screwtape Proposes a Toast for maximum enjoyment.
ClosetOtaku

Postby Ssjjvash » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:00 pm

glitch1501 wrote:maybe put spoiler tags on there?

:red: Um, oops, sorry. I'm kina' computer illiterate, (that's my ridiculous excuse anyway) so I don't know how...

Rudyard Kipling

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Ssjjvash

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:08 pm

I will tell you in this post, and then you can save me the trouble of editing your previous post, if you would be so kind.

[ spoiler = spoilertopic ] spoiler content [ /spoiler]

Type the previous, but remove all spaces (excepting between words in the content).
uc pseudonym

Postby Ssjjvash » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:26 pm

Thank you so much! Now I feel a lil' smarter. ^_^ lol.

Rudyard Kipling

Ssjjvash

Postby Jaltus-bot » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:56 am

I liked Mere Christianity, although the Screwtape Letters was also quite good.
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:53 pm

Mere Christianity and Screwtape Letters were both excellent ^^
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner