Robert Jordon- oh when will the wheel roll on?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:34 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Are there more prequels to come? It didn't seem necessary, as the prequel written seemed to explain what would be plot points for 8-10 in how the Aes Sedai operated.

Necessary, no. Profitable, yes.

I'm not sure I could go back to this series. It never did have a great deal of appeal to me, and after this long a period of time having not read anything, I would have to seriously contemplate if it was worth it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mi-Ru-Me » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:01 pm

I read some letter that he wrote on his web site that said the next book not prequil would come out this year.
Mi-Ru-Me

Postby Arnobius » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:28 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I'm not sure I could go back to this series. It never did have a great deal of appeal to me, and after this long a period of time having not read anything, I would have to seriously contemplate if it was worth it.

Oh, I'll probably pick it up, but barring any breaking news that something major was resolved, I'll probably just wait for paperback...

I guess the one advantage this on-dragging process has is that was able to pick up that supplemental book that originally cost $40 for $10
Arnobius

Postby Scribs » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:31 pm

I have seen book 9 on sale for 3 dolars in my area, i think they printed a few too many
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Arnobius » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:40 pm

Really? I must have bought it 2-3 times myself, since it was so forgettable that I read it twice, not realizing until half way through second time that I had already read it...
Arnobius

Postby Kaori » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:24 pm

I stopped reading at volume 4 or 5; although the writing isn't bad, after some deliberation I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth my time to continue reading the series. I would have to have a great deal of free time (or perhaps learn to speed read) before I would consider continuing it--and even then, I would probably have better things to do.

Brevity is the soul of wit.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Icarus » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:15 pm

Kaori wrote:...Brevity is the soul of wit.
Naturally, but who said he wanted to be witty? Doubtless, there is a reasong for the protracted saga beyond... No, I guess it is just the money.
Personally, I stopped reading after the 10th. I bought the eleventh, but when I realized it was a prequel, I gave up hope.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Rita » Mon May 16, 2005 1:21 am

I'm currently reading this series, I'm half way through book 5 and enjoying it so far. But I have heard before that the series gets worse after book7. I will probably continue with the series anyway, because I'm the kind of person who needs to know what happens in the end.
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment...Instead it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-5
Rita

Postby Scribs » Tue May 17, 2005 6:06 pm

I'm the kind of person who needs to know what happens in the end.

If there ever is an end.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Namelessknight » Sun May 22, 2005 6:36 pm

Oh, there's an end. At a booksigning I went to, Jordan said he knew how the story ended and then worked backwords. So it will end, but as to if it ACTUALLY will in reality, that is another complete question. Sigh...
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby Namelessknight » Sun May 22, 2005 6:46 pm

Check out this link, and the appropriate website. Lots of speculation anyway...
Check it out
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 22, 2005 8:24 pm

I'll probably wait until it comes out in PB unless it gets rave reviews. 9 and 10 were pretty bad...
Arnobius

Postby Sparrowhawk » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:03 pm

Alright i accidently started a new thread on this, did not realize this one was up. I agree the guy takes way too long to do anything, and after reading these posts above, it really sickens me the guy would sacrifice what his work could be (i like this series a lot, but it definitely could be better) for extra money.

This series is not the guys only one so you know he could write other stories after finishing this one. He is obviously no where near as good as Tolkien or Lewis, but then, who is?

Well, thought i would bring this thread back up cause i was curious to see if there were any other fans of his out there. After reading this, i think i still like the story, but i'm beginning to dislike the author. I currently am in the begginning of six and likewise will probably have to finish it. My only hope is i have two friends saying they enjoyed all of it.

Sad, that he is not doing his best work on the story for money *discouraged look at how we people are so in love with money*. Oh, well.

Well, here is news. I heard that the date for book eleven has been scheduled for Nov. However, I have a question about Rand being an idiot. I agree he is not the brightest guy I have ever met, but is he really THAT bad? c'mon give the guy a break, he has two people in his head. Or will I agree he is an idiot after book 7?
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby Arnobius » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:22 pm

Sparrowhawk wrote:Alright i accidently started a new thread on this, did not realize this one was up. I agree the guy takes way too long to do anything, and after reading these posts above, it really sickens me the guy would sacrifice what his work could be (i like this series a lot, but it definitely could be better) for extra money.

This series is not the guys only one so you know he could write other stories after finishing this one. He is obviously no where near as good as Tolkien or Lewis, but then, who is?

Well, thought i would bring this thread back up cause i was curious to see if there were any other fans of his out there. After reading this, i think i still like the story, but i'm beginning to dislike the author. I currently am in the begginning of six and likewise will probably have to finish it. My only hope is i have two friends saying they enjoyed all of it.

Sad, that he is not doing his best work on the story for money *discouraged look at how we people are so in love with money*. Oh, well.

Well, here is news. I heard that the date for book eleven has been scheduled for Nov. However, I have a question about Rand being an idiot. I agree he is not the brightest guy I have ever met, but is he really THAT bad? c'mon give the guy a break, he has two people in his head. Or will I agree he is an idiot after book 7?

I think the main problem after #7 is that he takes hundreds of pages to do very little, and it gets boring. I didn't think Rand was particularly an idiot as I thought Jordan was making the characters do stupid things to keep them in peril and extend the series.
Arnobius

Previous

Return to Book Corner