P.G. Wodehouse

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

P.G. Wodehouse

Postby Scribs » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:21 pm

I myself have just recently been introduced to Wodehouse, and Love It already. He wrote stories and books about characters in british society in the 20's. His books are very funny and guite absurd. I am currently in a play based on one of his short stories. Just wondering if there are any other fans out there.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby SManBeyond » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:25 pm

FINALLY! A fellow Wodehouse fan!

I LOVE Wodehouse's stories. I love his Jeeves and Wooster stories, but I've recently been reading his Mr. Mulliner tales and have found them to be just as hilarious. What's great is that they're all clean humor, but they make me laugh harder than most anything else.

Have you ever seen the Jeeves and Wooster TV series? It's really quite good, although the last series has some bad episodes. There's also a series called Wodehouse Playhouse which does the stories in more of a farcical style but it is also reasonably good.

Oh, and on a side note, Mr. Wodehouse has the same birthday as I do (October 15th), which is really quite cool...
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby Technomancer » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:36 am

Woodhouse is great. There was a televised mini-series based on "Porterhouse Blue", that was hilarious.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Scribs » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:02 am

Jeeves and Wooster are great! I have only seen about four episodes, but I really like them. I havent read any of his Mr. Mulner stuff yet. Have any of you read his stories about Blandings Castle?
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby SManBeyond » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:12 pm

No, I haven't. Is that the series with Lord Emsworth in it? I'm told stories with him are really hilarious as well, but I haven't read any yet...
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby Scribs » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:14 pm

yes, they are the ones with lord emmsworth. In fact, I am playing the part of lord emmsworth in the play I am about to be in. I would highly suggest the story "crimewave at blandings" it is in the collection of short stories "Lord Emmsworth and Others"
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Namelessknight » Mon May 30, 2005 11:55 am

Ahh, love it!!! Whenver I get too serious, I go to the library and check out Uncle [something] in the Spring Time or something like that. It never fails to cheer me up and make my sides hurt...
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:08 am

Whodehouse rocks, but I like his Balndings Castle stories more than Berite and Jeeves.

'Summer Lightning' is hilarious.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Scribs » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:33 pm

Blandings is great. I had the wonderful opertunity of playing Emsworth in an adaptation of the short story "Crimewave at Blandings." We were going to take it into a competition, but it was postponed because of a snow storm, and half the cast couldnt make it because of a mission trip to Nicaragua.
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:00 pm

I'm reading 'Young Men in Spats' now and it's hysterical.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Return to Book Corner