East of Eden

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

East of Eden

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:04 pm

I'm pretty sure I borrowed this book from the library since it was made into a film years ago. Anyway, it's by John Steinbeck, who also wrote Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath, to name a few. I like his writing style. It's easy to follow, and he develops characters fairly well to the point where you can side up with them, agree on their points of view, or hate their guts. Right now I've just finished part 2 of East of Eden (thick book, mind you). Some say it's more or less a retelling of Genesis (and the Biblical book is mentioned and quoted a few times), but I'm not quite sure about that just yet. I will warn you it's a pretty dark book. I don't know about depressing, but it sure isn't happy-go-lucky.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Twilly Spree » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:47 am

Excellent book! One of my favorites.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Zane » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:17 am

I've read of 'mice and men' and 1/2 of the grapes of wrath (library wanted it back) and I have enjoyed some of his short stories, but apparently East of Eden is one of his best. Thanks for reminding me to go and read it :)
Zane

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:32 am

I finished it. In one week. Whew! I like how Steinbeck divided each chapter into sections. Made it easier for me to slip in a bookmark when called for. Not sure I'd like to see the movie version of the book just yet. I'd like to read James Dean's biography first.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Michael » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:39 pm

I was going to read it, but my sister said it was nothing but visiting brothels later on in the book. Is that true?
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:43 am

That's...not the core of the book, but yes, there is a character who becomes a madam with quite a reputation. And the visiting is not in every part of the book. Nothing much takes place in there, but it's really up to you if you still would like to read the book.

K. Ayato

Return to Book Corner