The Great Gatsby

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

The Great Gatsby

Postby Petite Soeur » Fri May 20, 2005 4:18 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed this quintessential Jazz Age work. Are there any fans? If so, please respond to this thread. I would like to talk about this novel to people who actually paid attention to it. ::CoughsunlikemyhonorsEnglishclasscoughs::
Petite Soeur

Postby Bunny » Fri May 20, 2005 4:32 pm

I finished it off a little over a month ago. I really didn't like it until after I was completely through and had time to mull over all the themes and character motives.
I can't say it's one of my favorites but it's not too shabby. ^^ Poor, Gatsby. Another victim of a corrupted American dream.
"So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the LORD. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor."

2 Samuel 6: 21&22

"I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God."

Bunny

Postby Scribs » Fri May 20, 2005 7:17 pm

I really liked it, but I forget most of the details because I read it a while ago.

When 2 of my teeth had to be removed, I kept them so I could use them like cufflinks like the gangster guy in this book.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Arnobius » Fri May 20, 2005 7:49 pm

I enjoyed the novel-- read it for college. Startled the teacher by saying Gatsby wasn't sympathetic.
Arnobius

Postby Kaori » Fri May 20, 2005 8:53 pm

This book is probably one of my favorite works of American literature. I generally like Fitzgerald's writing style--there is some beautiful imagery in The Great Gatsby. Also, the tragic ending appeals to me.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat May 21, 2005 11:06 am

It has been over a year since I read this book, but I generally enjoyed it. That is, I could appreciate the author's techniques, though I was not particularly inclined to be interested in his topic. In general I retain information from novels, so if you wish to discuss it I could probably provide a somewhat-informed opinion. However, unless we have a specific question I believe I will have little to say about the book.
uc pseudonym

Postby haru_bay_nay » Sun May 22, 2005 12:24 pm

I liked it... But I remember barely anything from it because I was 12 years old when I read it. Still, it sticks out in my mind as one of the better books I've read. I also agree with Kaori- Fitzgerald's style is cool.
haru_bay_nay

Postby Zane » Sun May 22, 2005 7:17 pm

I've also read it, about 2 years ago. But I can hardly remember much about it. Who killed Gatesby again? It was like the husband of the the lady he was courting right? And the story plays infront of the eyes of a journalist or something right?
Zane

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 22, 2005 9:58 pm

Zane wrote:I've also read it, about 2 years ago. But I can hardly remember much about it. Who killed Gatesby again? It was like the husband of the the lady he was courting right? And the story plays infront of the eyes of a journalist or something right?

[spoiler]wasn't it the husband of the woman the narrator's cousin was having an affair with?[/spoiler]

I forget some names and details after all these years...
Arnobius

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon May 23, 2005 8:52 am

[spoiler]His name was George Wilson, but yes, you have the correct person, though it was actually the narrator's cousin's husband's mistress's husband. That was likely the most soap-opera-esque line I have typed this year.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Mon May 23, 2005 10:13 am

I remember some of it but it really didn't impress me. I remember the little bits of the story more than the bigger parts or the plot. The writing was good but the story did not impress me.
bigsleepj

Postby Petite Soeur » Mon May 23, 2005 4:53 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:[spoiler]wasn't it the husband of the woman the narrator's cousin was having an affair with?[/spoiler]

I forget some names and details after all these years...

No, because the narrator (Nick)'s cousin is Daisy. But, read on (highlight)

::Spoiler:: [spoiler] Daisy accidentally kills Myrtle]
Petite Soeur

Postby Jasdero » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:43 pm

Ahh yes... I read The Great Gatsby. I remember heavily disliking Daisy. We had to write an essay during the summer about our opinion of The Great Gatsby. I dedicated it to critizing Daisy's character. It wasn't a book that I particularly enjoyed, but I did really like F. Scott Fitzgerald's style of writing.
Jasdero

Postby Arnobius » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:53 pm

Petite Soeur wrote:No, because the narrator (Nick)'s cousin is Daisy. But, read on (highlight)

::Spoiler:: [spoiler] Daisy accidentally kills Myrtle]

Ah yes, that's the situation I remembered, even though I botched the description (Must have been 10+ years since I read it)
Arnobius

Return to Book Corner