Mysteries are awesome!

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Mysteries are awesome!

Postby meboeck » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:49 pm

I absolutely love mysteries. I love Agatha Christie's books, especially the ones with Hercule Poirot. I have read almost all the Poirot novels. Anyone who likes mysteries should say so here. Tell me your favorite mystery author and book if you have one. I think my favorite mystery is Murder on the Orient Express followed closely by all the other Hercule Poirot mysteries I've read.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:46 am

Don't know my favourite Mystery but I've enjoyed many of Agatha Christie's Hercule Poriot books, (The Big Four is probably my fave). Murder on the Orient Express was very good also and one of her earlier ones called: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. The Adventures of Tintin often are mysteries, **** Tracy is great!
A good Christian mystery writer is Kel Richards. But I'm a big mystery reader.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:15 am

The Agatha Christie book I enjoyed the most was "Crooked House" which is one of her lesser known books, probably because it doesn't have an eccentric detective in it, but a "normal person" as a main character tagging along on a police-ivestigation of his girl-friend's mansion estate. Unlike other Christie books, where the crimes are somewhat implausible, this one is startling when the truth comes out. Next to this one was "The Big Four" and "Death on the Nile".
bigsleepj

Postby Technomancer » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:21 am

I can't say that I've ever been a great fan of Agatha Christie, although I do like mysteries. My own favourites are:

Ellis Peters- The Brother Cadfael series
Peter Tremayne- The Sister Fidelma series
Susan Gregory- the Chronicles of Matthew Bartholomew
Lyndsey Davis- the Falco books
Colin Dexter- Inpsector Morse (definately my favourite TV mysteries)

The Rumpole stories are also great, and they are sort-of mysteries.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:57 am

Let's not forget the Father Brown stories by G.K.Chesterton and also the greatest
detective of all times:Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.Holmes and Watson appear in the New Doctor Who Adventure All Consuming Fire.Much to Watson's advantage and Holmes' disadvantage.
mitsuki lover

Postby Petite Soeur » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:19 pm

meboeck wrote:I absolutely love mysteries. I love Agatha Christie's books, especially the ones with Hercule Poirot. I have read almost all the Poirot novels. Anyone who likes mysteries should say so here. Tell me your favorite mystery author and book if you have one. I think my favorite mystery is Murder on the Orient Express followed closely by all the other Hercule Poirot mysteries I've read.

I love Agatha Christie! My favorite mysteries are And Then There Were None and Death on the Nile (incidentally DOTN was plugged by Gosho Aoyama in the third Detective Conan manga volume).

I also love Poe. He really paved the way for future mystery authors.
Petite Soeur

Postby Scribs » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:34 pm

I cant say that I adore that genre, but I do love it when major plot twists are revealed in novels in general. I love how things all fit together in Dickens novels. But this is not the thread for those I suppose...
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:03 pm

How could I forget Hardy Boys? I remember reading them in mid-primary school days. I think I read about 30 or so of them. Quite good.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby soul alive » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:09 pm

i read all the Agatha Christie books my library had in middle and high school, loved them much, especially the Hercule Poirot books and And Then There Were None.

i also read a lot of Mary Higgens Clark books in high school. some of her books get pretty freaky psychologically.

one of my favorite mystery series is The Cat Who... series by Lilian Jackson Braun, although the last few books have been going downhill from the first part of the series... :( and Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy Mysteries are pretty good too.

and i absolutely love Sherlock Holmes books, and have all of the books and short stories.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:43 pm

I love mysteries! A great book will have mystery and romance, which is probably why I like a lot of Mary Stewart's books. I remember reading the Elizabeth Gail mysteries and the Mandie series. I really like some of Mary Higgins Clark's books (Pretend You Don't See Her and Let Me Call You Sweethart are favs of mine), but like Soul Alive said, some of her's can get freaky, like Loves Music, Loves to Dance --> creepy book. I've also read some of Agatha Christie's and Lilian Jackson Braun's books. Oh yah, and those Nancy Drew-Hardy Boys mysteries that they had together were really good.
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Maledicte » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:03 pm

Wha-wha-WHAT? No one has mentioned the great P. D. James!?! You...how could you!!

Anyways, she's terrific, and I love her Adam Dalgliesh novels. My personal favorites are "A Taste for Death" and "Death in Holy Orders".

And of course, Mr. Sherlock Holmes, how can one forget....
Maledicte

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue May 10, 2005 6:00 pm

There are a lot of great British women mystery writers out there:
Agatha Christie
Dorothy L. Sayers
Margery Allingham
P.D.James
Ellis Peters
mitsuki lover

Postby Alice » Fri May 20, 2005 6:03 pm

My favorite mystery of all time is now Catherine Aird's "A Most Contagious Game." All of her mysteries except that one center around a detective policeman named C. D. Sloan. This one centers around a man who had to retire from work for his health. Even though he has a lot of money, he is a sympathetic character because he's sort of stuck there, and bored, and can't do much.

Anyway, he gets involved with a mystery concerning a priest's hole he finds in his house. (I think that's the right phrase. It is a secret chamber that was built into the house -- very old -- to hide priests when Catholics were being persecuted in England long ago.)

Inside the priest's hole, he finds a skeleton! But it is of a boy. Then he has to find out who it was, and what happened. He ends up finding out about the history of the people who lived in the house long ago, and even meeting one of their descendants. It is a fascinating read, and it kept me on the edge of my seat. There is also another mystery around town, a current one.

I've liked a lot of mysteries, especially Sherlock Holmes, and Agatha Christie. (Agatha Christie's "By the Pricking of My Thumbs" had a very, very climactic end! I recommend it to anyone who isn't easily scared.)

But Catherine Aird's "A Most Contagious Game" is easily my favorite mystery of all time. I recommend it!!
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Return to Book Corner