Speak

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Speak

Postby Kisa » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:17 pm

I just finished a book...
"Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson
It was pretty good. It is told from a hs freshman girl's point of view and how shes sees hs and life after a terrible incident that she tries to forget. It is kinda dark, but actually ended happy ^^
Anyone read it?
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby oro! » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:34 pm

Yeah, i had to read it for school last semester. It was dark, but interesting. I just wondered if everything was going to turn out OK for her. I was glad that she did, and finally got rid of IT.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Yumie » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:22 pm

Would you suggest reading it?
Yumie

Postby Petite Soeur » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:19 am

Yes, I liked it pretty well. It was very dark, but it had to be considering the girl's experience (I read it 8th grade, so I don't remember details like her name). I was in shock when it was revealed what happened to her.
Petite Soeur

Postby Kisa » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:40 pm

I would reccommend it, it was really good. but dark. Happy ending tho so no worries. Its rated young adult.
Kisa

Postby haru_bay_nay » Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:53 pm

Yeah, I read it a while back. I really liked it. I thought it was really easy to connect with the main character, and I was happy with the conclusion. I would recommend it for teens, preferably older ones. Has anyone read another book by Laurie Halse Anderson called "Catalyst"? I heard it was good, but haven't checked it out yet.
haru_bay_nay

Postby oro! » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:07 pm

I don't know...you see one point is pretty graphic, and my mind's eye...you'll just have to decide for yourself.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Kisa » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:11 pm

true, there is one graphic scene, but it goes fast, but yea that could bother some people.... overall it is good.
Kisa

Postby Cedahlia » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:03 pm

I read 'Catalyst' first, and then 'Speak'. They were both really good. ^^ I would recommend them to anyone who likes real-life situations. Like oro!girl7 said, there is one graphic scene, but it is from her point of view and...I can't think of how to put it but kind of foggy/blurry (in words, that is), and not that bad and pretty brief.
"Not believing is letting each other down, that's how it is."

~Lacus Clyne
Cedahlia

Postby Rachel » Mon May 02, 2005 5:50 pm

Yeah, I read this a while back so I don't remember anything being graphic. But I did like it a lot. Catalyst I read more recently and was pretty good too.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Return to Book Corner