Eragon

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Eragon

Postby Godly Paladin » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:35 am

Has anyone read this? What are your thoughts? (And did a homeschooler write this?)
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby SwordSkill » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:02 pm

Didn't a kid actually write Eragon? I haven't read it but I read a newspaper article on it. I think he was just a teenager when he wrote the first book. The article said that the plot and prose wasn't exactly that good, but it's still admirable that he got a book published into something pretty famous at a young age.
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby Godly Paladin » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:13 pm

Yeah, I think it was a 15 year old guy. (And I think he was a homeschooler.)
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby soul alive » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:41 pm

i enjoyed the book, but almost didn't read it because the first few chapters were so hard to get through (it reminded me of the 'creative' writing i was forced to do in 8th grade, showing what was happening rather than telling, by using overly descriptive, flowery type words >.<)... but once i got past those chapters, it was great. the kid who wrote it was about 15 or 16, and is planning on writing two more books for the series, i believe. the professionally published edition is supposedly better than the original publication - my librarian said something about the book having a massive amount of editing (several hundred or thousand words were taken out of it). it almost reminded me of a rather young/immature version of Anne McCaffrey's 'dragonriders of pern' series.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Jman » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:16 pm

Godly Paladin wrote:Has anyone read this? What are your thoughts? (And did a homeschooler write this?)

15 Year old Homeschooled to be exact.

Adopter of Locke *0/0*
Adopter of Felix *0/0*
Adopter of Insanewithapen *0/0*
Adopter of Zelda27 *0/0*
Adopter of Sakura's Wings *0/0*
Adoptee of Cap'n Crack *0/0*

---
"It never hurts to try to make new friends, except when it does hurt…
but that's only when you're trying to make friends with a charging rhinoceros." ~ HolySoldier5000

---
"But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed. "
-Isaiah 53:5

|J|c|r|e|w| --- Jman's Antidrug
---
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
Help Him Achieve World Domination...

---
It’s not like we hate him or want him to die
Jman

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:39 pm

He wrote the first draft when he was 15, second draft when he was 16 and when he was 17 seventeen he marketed it with his parents for a year. He is now 20 years old.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby haru_bay_nay » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:21 pm

I'm reading it right now. I absolutely love it! True, at times the author seems to go off explaining something forever, but he has a massive vocabulary for a teenager, and constantly impresses me. I think he's done extremely well for his age, and I can't wait until his next book.
haru_bay_nay

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:20 pm

I liked it, although I think that maybe I'm a little bit out of the age range.

Overall, Eragon seemed to me like a hybrid of Lord of the Rings and the Dragonriders of Pern. Regardless, dragons = a very happy L.Q :grin:
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:28 pm

i absolutly ADORED this book. its right up my alley. gosh. i loved it. i cant wait till the next one comes out!
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Anime*Ed » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:40 pm

GOOD NEWS!!: Eldest (the second book) is coming out August 24, 2005!!

Who didn't love this book that read it?? My word, I mean ,sure, it was a little tough getting past the first few chapters but once I got into it... I stayed up till nearly 11:30 every school night reading it. I couldn't put it down. And now I'm impatiently awaiting for the next one to come out... *looks at watch every few seconds* "how long is it gonna take??" :shady:
*~Jamming with Edward~*

Jet: Looks like we're gonna' have to fix it.
Ed: Ed will help!!
*pulls some random part off*
Spike: Gee, thanks, Ed...

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
Anime*Ed

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:00 pm

I just finished this book!! IT WAS AWESOME!! and i do agree.. with the statement that it was like a cross between LOTR and Dragonriders of Pern..

I wonder if this guy likes anime? I mean the way he described the Shades! I really really loved this book..despite the fact it took me a while to read it.. LOL! But yesh.. Saphira is awesome..Arya is sweet!! and Murtagh Is just spectacular.. i love the plot twists in this book!! ^_^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:27 pm

Anime*Ed, a book should reel you in to read it in the first sentence or two. It shouldn't be a chore to read the first chapters of the book (actually I would say that was the better part of the book). Eragon is very cliche and generic fantasy but it is still quite an accomplishment to get a book published when you're so young. (but then he kind of had a head start as his parents were publishers)
It was a good read, but not very original and some parts are lacking. Brom was the best character in it.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:35 pm

Ah.. tis a matter of opinion i guess..

there was one problem with the book.. Eragon fainted like...i believe about 8 times!!! AT LEAST! That kid needs some pottassium or sumthin..i mean it just isn't healthy to faint that often.. LOL!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:08 pm

Ha ha ha! That's great! I was thinking about that too! I find it a bit annoying when a character faints more than 3 or 4 times.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:14 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Ha ha ha! That's great! I was thinking about that too! I find it a bit annoying when a character faints more than 3 or 4 times.

yah... I was like AGAIN! DAAAAAAANG!! STOP IT!! Its like the author couldn't find a better way to get the story moving..LOL ahh.. well.. I still thought it was good.. i mean the guy isn't all that old.. LOL
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Myoti » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:01 pm

I haven't finished yet (he's almost at the Varden), but I like what I've seen so far.
He seems to mix elements of different stories, like LOTR and Pern (McAffery actually praised book if you look on the back cover :D), and made something from them that ended up being quite a good read. Heck, my sister has actually started reading it as well!
Something I really like is the way he handled magic. It's interesting how it talks about the "true names" of everything that controls that magic and I thought it was quite an original way of doing it.
Yes, the Shades are cool and I want to know what Galbatorix look like, but I doubt he'll get to that in the first one...
Like others of you said, the first few chapters are slow, but then it just shoots off after that.
Myoti

Postby Godly Paladin » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:08 pm

I can't decide if it was written in the Tolkien style or if Tolkien has just so defined fantasy that it's hard to write anything *without* it being similar to his works. What do you all think?
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby haru_bay_nay » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:00 pm

Fainting...hmm...I thought it was just my imagination...but yeah, he does seem to be anemic or something. Or he could be diabetic...maybe his blood sugar just gets low...I'm rambling. Sorry.

As for the Tolkien question, I vote for scenario #2. ^_^
"A chicken is a bird that is harvested for food." -Matthew Bench, an autistic kid in my school who gives the greatest advice. XD

"I love lamp." -Brick Tamland (Anchorman)

Otaku10 wrote:I won't release your hand even if I sweat, forever.
haru_bay_nay

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:11 am

LOL!! Yah... gotta keep that blood sugar up.. must be from all the traveling..

Well the author does like Fantasy, and Scifi.. I am sure he has read LOTR, but it is very similar...heck, he even put a map in his book! and Translations.. and all that schtuff..

I love this series though..can't wait for ELDEST!!

I do wonder, if the other eggies will hatch during this series...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Myoti » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:22 am

As for the Tolkien question, I vote for scenario #2. ^_^

Ditto. Tolkien defined just about everything that fantasy is.

I do wonder, if the other eggies will hatch during this series...

One possibility is that the other books will be about other potential Riders getting dragons. I haven't finished yet so I'm not sure how that'll go.
Myoti

Return to Book Corner