Children's Books

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Children's Books

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:14 pm

So what books did you guys read as children? Or, better yet, what books do you still read that are categorized as children's books?

Some of mine are:
Eli - A book about a lion who accidently befriends some buzzards and they follow him around for the rest of his days. At the beginning, he can't stand them, but by the end, they are his best friends.

Alexander and his terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day - I always thought this book was funny, because it goes through Alexander's day where every little thing goes wrong.

Crabby Gabby - I don't remember what these things were called, but a group of little greyish furballs with big eyes and limbs sticking out had a sort of community. Gabby decides that everyone has to play "Gabby games," which basically means, anything she wants to play, and she always wins. Of course, the little furballs only take time before they are fed up with it. This is a very little known book that my grandparents bought for me when they visited Australia.

That's a bit of a start. Anyone else?
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:24 pm

I can't remember most of what I used to read as a kid. I know I had a lot of Little Golden Books though.

There's this ghost story for younger readers that I still read from time to time called Stonewords. ^^;
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Technomancer » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:25 pm

I'd read The Lord of the Rings when I was in the third grade, as well as the Hobbit and Beowulf and Macbeth. I alos read a lot of the Arthurian stories and Viking myths as well at that age. On occasion I ran in to problems with the school librarian, who felt that I should only read the books designated for my age-group. Feh.

As far as actual children's books go, the ones that I best remember were Gordon Korman's books. There was also a series of younger person's mysteries by Eric Wilson that I rather liked at the time (The only one of them that I remember now was "Vampires of Ottawa"). I remember reading a lot of choose your own adventure books. There were a lot of other things too; it depends on one's age (Beatrix Potter and A.A. Milne certainly figure prominantely at one point).

As far as younger person's literature that I still like, I would probably say Harry Potter, as well as Peter S. Beagle's "The Last Unicorn"
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby blueraven » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:37 pm

Dr. Seuss - and if mum hadn't gotten rid of 'em I would probally still be reading 'em :thumb:
"Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
and things are not what they seem.
Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art; to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul."
-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
blueraven

Postby SwordSkill » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:45 am

read a variety of books and authors when i was a kid, some far too easy and some far too hard. XD but as far as "fun" went, i distinctly remember loving Enid Blyton's stuff, especially the mysteries. XD darn, now i sound like some bourgeoisie British lass. lol, but anyway, guess that explains why i love British lit, especially the wit.
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby ThaKladd » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:59 am

... when do you go over to be "not children"?

anyway... when I was 8 I read the narnia books...
I read the Tarzan books...
Sophies world when I was 13
A lot of Hardy boys books... but they became so booring when you was reading like nr. 50... also a lot of "bobsey children" books...

the list is much longer... but.. its hard to remember when you try to.. I read so much when I was small

I don't read children books anymore.... (exept the narnia books)
We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby CobaltAngel » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:37 pm

I loved "The Hobbit" when I was younger... but I read mostly books with talking animals in them. XD
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Ssjjvash » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:56 pm

Hoo boy! I read so many books...
When I was eight, I read the Cooper Kids series by Frank Perreti. I read Baby-sitters Club when they came out. I wasn't too big on Ramona, but I did read a few of them. Many random books from the library. And this one book I really enjoyed: Maniac McGee.

Yeah, there's the short version of it. ;)
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby Spades » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:24 am

Were you a crabby kid by any chance? I wasnt read books when I was lil but LOVED Dr Seuss a bunch. Still do in fact. I try to read them as fast as I can when I take care of kids...and I have them read it too...but that takes forever. I also love reading Beany Wakes Up for Christmas. Gypsy's favorite book. She makes me read it all the time to her in a squeaky voices. Its about a squirrel named Scamp the Squirrel who gives his friend Beany Bear a wonderful Christmas surprise. And Scamp Squirrel has a hard time doing just the right thing. But in the end it's cute and Gypsy is happy.
I would love to write childrens books. I love being silly and unpridictable. Its great!
Spades

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:57 am

Angelina Ballerina. *sigh* Those were great books.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby JoyfulSongs » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:05 pm

Narnia, the Anne books, Ramona, Nancy Drew, Grandma's Attic, Little House books, Elsie series, Hardy Boys, Ten Commandments Detective Club (or something like that), Redwall, Lord of the Rings, anything medieval, Mandie (how did I get through those?).

These were all in the "golden years" of nine and ten. I had so much free time and read a lot.
JoyfulSongs

Postby Hephzibah » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:12 pm

Crabby Gabby - I don't remember what these things were called, but a group of little greyish furballs with big eyes and limbs sticking out had a sort of community. Gabby decides that everyone has to play "Gabby games," which basically means, anything she wants to play, and she always wins. Of course, the little furballs only take time before they are fed up with it. This is a very little known book that my grandparents bought for me when they visited Australia.

O.O Little known?! I read tat thing so many times!!!! ;) I still remember the game in which the friends gave up and left Gabby alone. It was 'Catch the Ball' or something, and whoever caught it the most times won. The catch was that whenever someone got the ball, they had to throw it back to Gabby. :P GReat book that.

Another book I read was called 'The Black Cat', a very cute short story about a cat taht wanted some milk (I love cats :D).

Lets see.... also the entire Mr Men series I had and read often... Grug was also a winner :grin:
(these books I read when I was very very young, so dont give me funny looks
<.<
>.>
:P)
James Herriot was also one of my favs!!!!!

Errrrm. I read so many books I cant remember all of them O.O Lol
Hephzibah

Postby Kaori » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:24 pm

I still enjoy reading juvenile fiction from time to time; it makes a nice break from all the heavy reading I do for class. The Dark is Rising series, by Susan Cooper, isn't bad. Meredith Ann Pierce's books are fairly good (she wrote the Firebringer and Darkangel trilogies) but some of them also have New Age overtones to them. The Wind in the Willows is excellent, and so is The Phantom Tolbooth, by Norton Juster--the entire plot is based on wordplay. And, of course, there are the Chronicles of Narnia and Madeline L'Engle's children's books.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby true_noir_chloe » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:01 am

I read a lot of Beatrix Potter, and still do when I find one laying around. My mother bought me a collection of the books when my kids were born. I used to love Aesop's Fables, as well. There was a story I read over and over entitled, "Snappy Turtle." I'm also a Dr. Seuss fan.

Today, I love any children's book with beautiful art. We must have 100s of those in our various book cases and stacked in boxes. Jan Brett is probably one of my favorite of these.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Spades » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:34 am

heres a book...I dunno the auther but I can find out...the book is called Snuggle Puppy and you read and sing it...it goes soemthign like this...OOOOOOOO snuggle puppy of mine everythign abotu you is especually fine...I love what you are and I love whtat you do..OOOOOOO I love you
Spades

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:48 am

Kaori wrote:The Phantom Tolbooth, by Norton Juster--the entire plot is based on wordplay.

I was going to say that one. That is a truly awesome book. I love it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Scribs » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:53 am

When I was a little kid... Lets see, Plato's Republic, "The Princess" by Tennyson, oh and who could forget Nixon's Memoirs volumes one and two.

Just kidding, I remember reading the encyclopedia brown books, and of course the Chronicals of narnia, and a bunch of Beverly Cleary books, ect. ect. ect.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 pm

I was a big fan of The Hardy Boys, The Boxcar Children, Mcgurk Mysteries, Encyclopedia Brown and various other mystery series. And fantasies like Narnia and L'Engle's books. I remember liking The Wind in the Willows as well.

I can't really remember much of note from my picture book days, aside from maybe Dr. Seuss.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:24 pm

[quote="Talame"]O.O Little known?! I read tat thing so many times!!!! ]

Ah - you have made a decent point - My grandparents bought us the book on a vacation to Australia - it is not as well known in America, though truly, I think it is one of my all time favorite children's books. Cool that someone else likes it though!
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby VioletEyedCat » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:36 pm

Man, does this bring back the memories. Originally, I was gonna post a huge list of all the weirdo stuff I read as a kid, but then I realized the effort involved in something like that- me and effort don't get along. :grin:

Anyway, the one author I didn't see mentioned that absolutely has to be on the list of childhood favorites is A.A Milne. You know, the Winnie the Pooh guy? It's strange, I hate Winnie the Pooh (books and cartoon) :shady: but I absolutely love anything else Milne wrote. When we were very Young and Now we are Six ? Those are the best. :P My mom (who is a children's literature buff) must have read those books so many times to me- I didn't even know it, but I have half the poems memorized. Hee Hee! :sweat:

James James Morrison Morrison Whetherby George DuPree... (Wanders off babbling to herself)

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby plutogrl03 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:14 am

I remember reading Amelia Bedelia (I think that's how it's spelled) quite a bit when I was a kid. I read a lot of the Cam Jansen series and this series about a big shaggy dog that solved mysteries. I can't remember the name of the series. There was also this other book I really liked. I don't remember the title but it had to do with a mouse who was a dentist. I think his name was Dr. Desoto. After helping a fox by removing his loose tooth, Dr. Desoto has to think of a way to avoid getting eaten so he can finish the job. I don't know why but I always thought that mouse and his wife were pretty cool.
Sometimes you just need to bang your head against a wall. :bang:

Member of the Official CAA DDR Song Club
plutogrl03

Postby Technomancer » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:11 am

I remember some of the classics too. It'd be hard to think of growing up without Kenneth Graeme's "The Wind In the Willows" for example. A.A. Milne's work also figured pretty prominently, and not just 'Winnie The Pooh' either; it was his poetry books that I read the most.

I also remember 'The Water Babies' being a classic, although I can't remember the author. I also read a lot Robin Hood and King Arthur stories.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Lengai » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:14 pm

The Chocolate Wedding was mine. Great book. The Boxcar Children, Dr. Suess, and Madeline too. (Pepito was the bomb) I also read TinTin. That was a great comic..

Hank the Cowdog, The Backwards Bird Dog..all them.
He is God / In His purpose / I will stand / I've been renewed by Him alone / We've been made by the Maker / Bought by the Buyer Broken / by the Breaker / I am His.
My Art
Lengai

Postby termyt » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:43 am

The first book I remember I didn't read myself. When I was very young, my mother would read to my brother and I. The book I remember best was Charlotte’s Web. There are a lot of good memories for me there.

The books I remember reading myself when I was young are the Chronicles of Narnia. I read those books over and over again. I remember reading all seven in one week during spring break one year. A little more than a book a day.
termyt

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:19 pm

I was wandering around in a bookstore last week, and somehow ended up in the Children's book section - man, I'm glad I'm not growing up today, because some of the pictures in books that are being produced today would have given me nightmares.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby VioletEyedCat » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:32 pm

Kokhiri Sojourn wrote:I was wandering around in a bookstore last week, and somehow ended up in the Children's book section - man, I'm glad I'm not growing up today, because some of the pictures in books that are being produced today would have given me nightmares.

Yeah- I read stories to the kids I babysit, and the books they have are weird! Like this one was a parody of Aesop's fable, and it had all these grotesque drawings of insects and animals- it was creepy.

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:35 pm

The Chronicles of Narnia,and I still do read them every once in awhile.Lucy's
my favorite character.She has a lot of spunk and isn't afraid of too much.One of
the best scenes is in the Dawn Treader when she opens the spell book and overhears what she think is her best friend betraying her and then realizes that
she's no better than her friend(with a bit of help from Aslan).
mitsuki lover

Postby Yumie » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:17 pm

Man, mom and dad used to read me an Osaka all kinds of books before bed when we were little, but I only remember the really outrageous ones. Like this one called "The Princess and the Potties" about this snotty little princess who couldn't choose a potty she liked for her chamber and they kept bringing in all these new ones and they couldn't find one that suited her, and. . . man, weird stuff. . . I still remember some of the illustrations.
Yumie

Return to Book Corner