Books That Scared You.

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:22 pm

The Shining was hands down the freakiest book I ever read, so freaky I started pulling the shower curtain on my bathtub completely back every time I had to use the restroom.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:29 pm

I was scared of "Death Comes As the End" by Agatha Christie, because it seemed so real to me - like it could have been me. Read it.

also....

Poe can be horrifying.... Anabel Lee I always thought of as horrifying. What a traumatic image.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Maledicte » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:22 am

Books don't really scare me all that much, but JAmes Byron Huggin's "Cain" got me pretty close. I still don't think it's all that scary, but it seemed so...creepy and...I don't know, brooding and stuff. I guess that's how "scary" books affect me. No nightmares for me, though.
(I must sound like a total slob)
Maledicte

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:35 pm

I thought there was a Rhino underneath my bed after reading James and the Giant Peach when I was a lad.
Hitokiri

Postby Noodles » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:05 pm

The only book that really got to me is.... well actually I can't remember the name. I read it in fourth grade and it had some part where someone looks outside and sees a "dark creature of the underworld" looking back at them. After that I couldn't look outside my window until 6 months. I read the Oath it had its moments but I wouldn't really deem it scary (well to me) but Stephen Kings 'Saloms Lot was a great book. I read that a few months ago and I got the chills reading it.
Moo, I tell ye! MOO!
Noodles

Postby Arnobius » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:44 pm

I think the most disturbing book I read was the original novel of "Battle Royale." It was much better than either the movie or the manga in expressing how a group of junior high students can be pushed by events into killing their own friends. The overall theme seems to ask if you can dare trust in a situation where trust is a disadvantage.
Arnobius

Postby haru_bay_nay » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:31 pm

The only ones I can think of right now are like those scary stories books I read when I was younger. I remember an urban legend book I read with a story about a little girl who was in her house alone in a storm or something was frightened of some sort of weird demon thing...Anyway, she woke up in the morning and her pet dog was hanging in the shower and I think something was written on the wall in its blood... O.o Much too graphic for me when I was little. I was always afraid of ghosts and stuff, too. Gave me nightmares... ^_^* I guess I was kind-of a scaredy-cat... :eyeroll:
"A chicken is a bird that is harvested for food." -Matthew Bench, an autistic kid in my school who gives the greatest advice. XD

"I love lamp." -Brick Tamland (Anchorman)

Otaku10 wrote:I won't release your hand even if I sweat, forever.
haru_bay_nay

Postby VioletEyedCat » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:26 pm

The books that freak me out are all the conspiracy theory ones. Like this one book called After about a post-Columbine high school that goes Big Brother on everybody. Another one is The Bar Code Tattoo by Suzanne Weyn. It's pretty interesting, especially since it's done from a secular perspective.

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:17 pm

Talame wrote:Frank Peretti - The Oath. That really got me scared :P The other books though, like This Present Darkness, didn't. They were just SO COOL! GO TAL!!! GO GUILO!! :D

I didn't think that This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness were scary either; I just think that they're awesome. I started The Oath when I was younger but my mom didn't want me to read it until I was older (I was probably about 5th grade at the time) and I haven't really gotten around it finishing it ever.
Um, scary books I've read...I read two stories in this one scar story book (I forgot the name) and then I stopped it after that. I don't really like Stephen King type books or any other scary book.
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Shipuh » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:59 pm

Frankenstein and The Birds
Shipuh

Postby shadowblade » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:15 pm

Hmm... I know I got really scared when I read a Stephen King book, but I can't remember which one it was. Other than that, I don't think I've been scared from a book. Maybe a bit freaked once or twice, but not like really scared. Lol.

Proud Member of the Challengers Guild ^_^

Life is not about us using God for our purposes, but about Him using us for His purposes.

Faith is not creating a false reality, but acknowledging God's promises for us.

The dreams I dream for you
Are deeper than the ones your clinging to
Let the old dreams die
Like stars that fade from view
And take the cup I offer
And drink deeply of the dreams I dream for you
-Avalon

[color=Navy]Bill: Ted, you and I have witnessed many things, but nothing as bodacious as what just happened.
Besides, we told ourselves to listen to this guy...
Ted: But what if we were lying?
Bill: Why would we lie to ourselves?
-Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
[/color]
shadowblade

Postby indyrocker » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:25 pm

Well i dont get scared really I get creeped out and then say thats cool and read it again but the last one that did that for me was "Touching Evile"
Indyrocker aka the user fomaly known as Agentsmith700

my remixes --> http://www.purevolume.com/irishangel
my Xanga--> http://www.xanga.com/indyrocker
A member of the Society of Hatted Members

adopted by Rachel
Adopted Banana-chan, heero yuy 95

There are no more heroes any more they all died in the night that the world fell into darknes; and good men are trampled down into the dirt never to be seen again. This is the story of this world of ours the story of the corupt and those that would try to save it from them but become corupt themselfs from their own selfish greed and want for what they do not have.
indyrocker

Postby That Dude » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:18 pm

Yeah I'm like you Agentsmith. I'm rereading "Blood Ties" its a very creepy book. especially the "watchers" life.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Previous

Return to Book Corner