Romeo and Juliet

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Romeo and Juliet

Postby oro! » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:17 pm

I had to read this and on Tuesday i will have to take a test on it. I love this play, now that it's done. I jsut got lost sometimes on the old english.
"Do you bite your thumb at me, sir?" :lol: We watched part of the Leonardo one and it woulda been really cool if they left out a couple of scenes...oh well.
It is a wordly movie.
What do y'all think of this classic?
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:38 pm

I love Romeo and Juliet and I really like the Baz Luhrmann version of the movie. some things in it are a little crazy (Mercutio...) but otherwise I thought he did a great job with it. I thought John Leguizamo as Tybalt was pretty cool. "Peace? I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee!"

I'd like to read Romeo and Juliet again...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Scribs » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:39 pm

I read it and enjoyd it, unfortunatly it is done so often and quoted everywhere. Because of this combined with the old englesh I find it quite a bore. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but I have had enough of it for the next ten years, thank you very much.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Shipuh » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:58 pm

i absolutely LOVE that play. we just finished up reading julius caesar. ive also read much ado about nothing and a comedy of errors.

plays i currently want to read by shakespear:
much ado about nothing
a midsummer night's dream
the tempest

=D
Shipuh

Postby oro! » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:25 pm

I watcher Much Ado about Nothing,and remember how funny it was, though now I know not why.
Any Romeo and Juliet trivia? Here's one of mine: How many teeth does the nurse have?
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Kaori » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:36 pm

Much as I enjoy Shakespeare, this is one of my least favorite plays of those that I have read. Mostly, this is because of overexposure--reading the play two or three times in junior high and high school, watching the play a handful of times, and constantly seeing references to it. Also, although it contains quite a bit of good poetry, the basic premise of the plot is not one that interests me terribly.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby plutogrl03 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:02 am

Same here Kaori. When we read it in high school, I kept getting the secondary characters mixed up. Plus, about halfway through the play all I kept thinking was, "Will they kill themselves already?!?!?" In Shakespeare's defense however, I did enjoy Othello and A Midsummer Night's Dream. My college is putting on the play in a couple of weeks. I hope there is a decent turnout since I'm on running crew.
Sometimes you just need to bang your head against a wall. :bang:

Member of the Official CAA DDR Song Club
plutogrl03

Postby oro! » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:36 pm

As a freshman, I don't know what y'all are talking about! I love it, but i've only read it once. I dunno, I guess i just go for the tragedies. I love Gladiator and the Last Samurai. For some reason sad movies make Me feel better.(plays too)
oro!

Postby Shipuh » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:13 pm

i am actually re-reading romeo and juliet right now. i want to start on a midsummer nights dream as soon as possible though.
Shipuh

Postby Jasdero » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:24 pm

ooo.. A Midsummer Night's Dream... I liked that play...

>.>;;; I hated Romeo and Juliet, though.... @_@ and the modern movie rendition (with Leonardo)... >.>;;; I hated that more... o.o the older movie was okay... kinda... XD;;;;;

*o*/ this all just my opinion, though.. >.>;;; don't chase after me with the knife of Shakespearian love.. like my english teacher did..... yeah... uh.. *zooms back to the Jrock pic thread*
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Return to Book Corner