A Child Called "It"

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

A Child Called "It"

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:17 pm

A Child Called "It" is one of the most disturbing books I've ever read.
If anyone's read it, what's your opinion? I know for a fact that the boys mother wasn't insane. she a perfect controll over herself when it was convienant. And the father was a complete coward.

REading the book really made me relize how good I have it, and that i have no right at all to complain.

For those who don't know about this book, it's about a perfect family gone wrong. The mother decides to litterally toture one of her sons. THe eldest I believe. THings such as sleeping in the garage, no food for three to ten days, and lieng in a cold bath for hours was everyday life for David. Even roasting on the stove and getting to the ground, taking in mouth fulls of amonia, and a gas chamber in the bathroom from mixing clorox and other cleaners, was nothing out of the ordinary. Of course it wasn't always like this.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby emoanimechild » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:42 pm

I haven't read it.. but I have heard of it, one of my friends read the book she also said that it made her appreciate life a lot more, for that reason i have considered reading it. But does it have a sad ending? don't tell me how it ends just if its sad or not....I don't like sad endings.
emoanimechild

Postby Nia-chan » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:42 am

I read it a long time ago when my cousin brought it over. Some parts were sad. But now people can't use the "I had a bad childhood" excuse for when they do bad things. He turned out all right.
Don't make me hit you with my pocketbook :angel:
Nia-chan

Postby Heart of Sword » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:23 am

Actually from what I remember he didn't roast on the stove (something happened and he didn't do it)...yeah that was a sad book.
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:30 pm

oh yeah! she just roasted his arm. he bought time by trying to escape then the family came home. im just reciiting this from memory. i read it in a day
Shao Feng-Li

Postby randomclassic » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:01 pm

OH MY GOSH. This is one of the most amazing novels (haha I like that word) ever written. It really, really makes you apreciate what you have in your life, and I think the scariest part about these books is that they are true stories, wait they arn't stories, they happened to him.

I'm hopping you get my point, I like the books. If I am not mistaken there are like 2 or 3 others right?

My friend actually got to meet David, and he autographed one of her books. She was really lucky.
'Oh look the water metled!' - The oh so smart one, Me. :shady:
randomclassic

Postby Mylares » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:16 pm

I've read it before, it was absolutely horrible what she did to him. Have you read the second one?
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about." :thumb:
Henry Ford (1863-1947)
Mylares

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:17 am

I am reading this book right now, good thing I did a topic search.

Yes, it has made me realize how good my life is. I felt so horrible for Dave Pelzer. How much of a horrible mother he had. As well as his brothers and father.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Hari » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:01 pm

I read the book (and sequels) and as a shrink's daughter...

Yeah, it was disturbed and horrible. It was also true, and too true of many people (kids) today. Reading that book, and hearing my mother tell me general stories (nothing specific, due to confidentiality), I was actually able to support a close friend of mine after finding out that HE was being horrifically abused. Not to the point of David Pelzer, but to the point where I feared for his life. He's safe now (God willing), but I think that's the point of such disturbing autobiographies -- to inform and equip people with the knowledge they need to be able to help people appropriately.

Sidenote: An important thing to research before deciding someone is being abused and needs to be taken from their home is FOSTER CARE. It's often just as bad/worse than the original situation (not always, but there are a million horror stories). So read the sequels for a start, and read up on DSS if you ever have reason to believe that someone you know needs help.

End rant. :) Seriously, I thought the books were very good.
Hari

Return to Book Corner