Recomendations for my dad?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Recomendations for my dad?

Postby Esoteric » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:06 pm

Hey book people! I want to get my dad some books for Christmas, but I'm not very well read when it comes to action/adventure stuff. Maybe you guys can suggest some authors I can check out.

What I do know: He's read and enjoyed the Left Behind series (although he felt is was drawn out). He likes the works of Bodie Thoene. He read Michael Crieghton's Sphere and thought the ending was lame (he likes solid, well explained endings, generally happy ones). He likes historical military topics and spy intrigue stuff.

Just throw any suggestions you can think of. This is a great chance for you to 'brag' about authors you like. You might end up helping out more than just me. Thanks in advance!
Esoteric

Postby Icarus » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:25 pm

How about historical military fiction? If so, then you might check out the Sharpe's series by Bernard Cornwall. I'm slightly hesitant to recommend them as they are at least PG-13 for violence, language and sexuality.

Ted Dekker is good. The ending to his book Thr3e will leave your brain a jumble on the floor. Thankfully, he straitens it out for you.

Sorry I can't think of more, but I'm mostly into Sci-fi and fantasy.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Esoteric » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:05 am

Icarus wrote: Sorry I can't think of more, but I'm mostly into Sci-fi and fantasy.

Hey, like I said, any suggestion is welcome. Thanks Icarus. Yes, he probably would like more historical fiction.
Esoteric

Postby Technomancer » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:18 pm

Aside from Sharpe there are the O'Brian novels, which formed the basis for the film "Master and Commander". There is also C.C. Humphrey's novel "Jack Absolute", which is a spy/action novel of the American revolution as told from the Loyalist side (a refreshing change of pace).
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby soul alive » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:20 pm

ooh. if your dad likes historical novels as well as spy and adventure novels, he would probably enjoy Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series. my dad absolutely enjoys the books, and got my sister and i into them. personally, i like the more recent novels better, as Cussler's style has matured and they have less sex related stuff in them. the books can be read individually, but it really helps to understand what is going on in some of the later books if you have read the earlier ones. the first book in the series is the Mediterranean Caper, which i haven't read yet, but still sounds good. and if your dad likes classic cars, each novel features one of 'Pitt's cars,' which the author actually has in his massive collection. the books aren't historically accurate, but deal with events that could have theoretically happened, and are currently affecting the world of Dirk Pitt. Pitt is a marine engineer (i think), and each book involves James Bond like action as he goes in search of sunken ships, planes, trains, and treasure. some of the older books might be a bit hard to find, but most of them should be in any bookstore.
good luck Christmas shopping.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Esoteric » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:34 pm

Yes, yes, good, keep the suggestions coming! I'll have a nice list of authors to look for when I go the the bookstore. Thanks guys!
Esoteric

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:32 pm

I'm try some Ted Dekker books. Blink, notably. He's an awesome author.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby SwordSkill » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:59 am

Esoteric wrote: He read Michael Crieghton's Sphere and thought the ending was lame (he likes solid, well explained endings, generally happy ones).

Heh. I guess he's not going to like the postmodern ones. XDDD

Esoteric wrote:He likes historical military topics and spy intrigue stuff.

Tom Clancy, of course, if he's into modern American military. Stephen Coonts as well.

The best historical books I would recommend would be those of James Clavell's, but they all deal with Asian history, so it depends on your father's taste.

And I guess no one's going to beat Ian Fleming when it comes to spy and intrigue, lol, but buy the ones whose movies your father hasn't seen. XD
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby Esoteric » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:27 pm

Awesome guys, thanx!
Esoteric

Postby Needle Noggin » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:29 pm

Go young wildebeest
for you must gallop yonder
mayonaise amen
Needle Noggin

Return to Book Corner