Devotions by Dead People

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Devotions by Dead People

Postby Doubleshadow » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:48 pm

A great devotional book that goes back to characters from the Bible for examples of how to live, or not live, your life. The title comes from the fact that all those people are now dead (except for Jesus, of course). The writer, Lynn Lusby Pratt, spent many years as a missionary in Japan and it shows through her frequent use of pieces of Japanesse culture for illustrative purposes. That, I think, is a big plus. It's not overly deep, no big brain strains needed to understand her points, just simple biographies of the characters (and any compare/contrast illustrations that come in handy) and what can be learned from them. Each devotion is maybe two to three pages and includes relevant quotes, statistics, epitaphs, and tidbits to underscore her points and give the reader something to think about. The book really emphasizes the need to be right with God and how brief life is and sudden death can be. I would really recommend this book as a simple devotional book, it's very good.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:08 pm

i work in a christian bookstore, so when i saw this book come in, it caught my eye 'cus you hardly ever see books that have a cover like that unless there's some kind of mysterious or almost "sinister" theme to it somewhere, so i looked through it, i thought it was very well done and in fact it's on my christmas list, so hopefully i'll get my own copy one of these days :rock:
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Return to Book Corner