Oedipus The King by Sophocles

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Oedipus The King by Sophocles

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:26 pm

i finished reading this book for english. And I have to say, i feel so sorry for the Oedipus. Has anyone read it? And what do ya think about it? Ya think it was fair for him so suffer? or not?

Heres a breif synopsis of the book/playwrite

Oedipus The King is about, well, a guy named Oedipus. The before the play/book. There was a legend.

Before Oedipus was born. His parents Laius and Jocasta (they were the king and queen of Thebes) wanted to have a child. So they asked the Oracle of Delphi if they should get one. The oracle said "No, do not bere a son". Jocasta and Lauis were all like "whatever" and bore a son anyway. So the Oracle tells them that Their son will kill his father, and marry his mother.SO they're all like "oh no! what are we gonna do? and stuff" So theygo up to a mountain. And tie him up on and drive nails down his ankles. His name was Oedipus (In greek, it means "swollen foot") Then they leave him up there to die

A shepard hears the baby's cries and decided to go save him, he realizes that the king (Polybus) and queen (Merope) of Corinth (sound familiar? :lol: ) weren't able to bare a child. So the shephard was like "I can present this baby for the king and queen! and they can adopt it" So they adopt it and he lives a normal life and stuff. Untill...

One day Oedipus was at a party and stuff. And thios drunk guy goes like "hey, ya know, you aren't your fathers, real son ya know?" So oedipus asks his parents, and they're like "of coruse you're our real child" and stuff. So he goes to the Oracle of Delphi and asks the oracle "Am I my fathers real son?" And the oracle goes like "You will kill your father, and marry your mother" So he gets scared, and runs away... To Thebes

When he gets to the outskirts of thebes, he runs into a caravan full of people. They push Oedipus away so Oedipus fights for self defense. He kills the guards, and an old man. Except for one guard, who escaped. He continues onto Thebes and everyone is suffering. Because of the Sphynx. Many men were unable to defeat the Sphynx. Oedipus decided so challenge it. The Sphynx asks him "What walks with 4 legs in the morning, 2 legs in the afternoon, and 3 in the evening?" Oedipus replies: "Man" (A baby walks on 4 legs in the beginning of it's life, 2 in it's middle age, and 3 becasue an old man would use a cane) So the Sphynx dies. And everyone is like "hurray!, you did it! The King somehow died, so you should be the king and marry the queen!" And stuff. Oedipus did not know that the old man he killed with the caravan was his father, Lauis the King of Thebes. And he marries The Queen of Thebes, Jocasta. Who is his mother.

Now it continues with the book/playwright

Oedipus is married to Jocasta now, they have 4 kids (really scary isn't it) and He is trying to figure out who killed Lauis the king (he still doens't know that he's the murderer). Basically, he talks to people, discovering clues about the murder. He finds out that he's married to his mother. And that he killed his father. So Jocasta hangs herself, and Oedipus takes the golden pins off of Jocasta's dress, and stabs himself in the eyes. So that he would be blind. Then he banishes himself from Thebes
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Scribs » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:48 pm

Yeah, that pretty much says it all. I just read that the other day, and it was pretty good reading. I do feel sorry for poor Oedipus (nothing ruins your day like finding out that kind of news) and no he didn't deserve it but hey, thats life. It is good reading and even though you know the truth about oedipus from the begining, It still keeps your attention.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Zane » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:02 am

Mr. Sm P., When i saw the your name under the thread started I was like ... hmmm King Oedipus, and Mr. Sm P... do they mix? :)

Yeah I've read it, it is a tragedy, and there is heaps of dramatic irony, its just oozing with it, like right at the end when his wife/mother (gross) figures it out shes like.. 'no oedipus don't look into the matter anymore' and he is so stupborn that he keeps going, with the whole "I'll kill the man who killed my father" ie himself.

The story actually contiunes after King-Oedipus, he the goes on his quest thing with his daughters, self-banishment i think it was. But I never got around to reading what happend to him.

Piloswine.. you're pretty well read arn't you :)
Zane

Postby Aka-chan » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:14 am

I read it for a class a few years back; very well done and lots of fun to read aloud, though the ending really does make you cringe. (Of course, being a tragedy, that's what it's supposed to do.)

Got a favorite character? I was rather fond of Tiresias...
Aka-chan

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:39 am

Zane wrote:Mr. Sm P., When i saw the your name under the thread started I was like ... hmmm King Oedipus, and Mr. Sm P... do they mix? :)

Yeah I've read it, it is a tragedy, and there is heaps of dramatic irony, its just oozing with it, like right at the end when his wife/mother (gross) figures it out shes like.. 'no oedipus don't look into the matter anymore' and he is so stupborn that he keeps going, with the whole "I'll kill the man who killed my father" ie himself.

The story actually contiunes after King-Oedipus, he the goes on his quest thing with his daughters, self-banishment i think it was. But I never got around to reading what happend to him.

Piloswine.. you're pretty well read arn't you :)

what? mixing names? I'm confused

yeah, there are... 2 other books after this I think. About his daughters, and other stuff.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby CDLviking » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:28 am

I for one had no sympathy for Oedipus. He was cocky and refused the good counsel of every person around him. Yeah it sucks that he married his mom, but that never would have happened if he hadn't lost his temper on the road and killed the King.
CDLviking

Postby Technomancer » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:40 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:what? mixing names? I'm confused

yeah, there are... 2 other books after this I think. About his daughters, and other stuff.

Yup. Oedipus at Colonoss and Antigone are the other two.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Zane » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:28 pm

Mr. Smarty Pants.... and...... Ancient greek tradgedies/literature.
Those two, You and reading a play like that. I thought it funny, u don't really come across as a literature guy thats all :)

CDL... you are a shocker :lol:
"yeah it sucks that he marries his mum" Classic.
Zane

Postby Scribs » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:28 pm

Ah yes, Antigone I coincidently have to write an essay on that this weekend. About who is the trajic hero in it, Antigone (Oedipus' Daughter/sister) or Creon (Oedipus' Brother in law/Uncle). I am leaning towards Creon at this point.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby olorc » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:18 am

I have to write the same essay (maybe bc we are in the same lit class ;) ) anyway ya I def think the creon is the tragic hero insttead of antigone. Mainly bc antigone has no real tragic flaw and creon's is clearly his pride (aka hubris in greek)
I've read oedipus the king and antigone but not oedipus at colossus. Kinda sad.
hmmmm maybe that's why it's called a tragedy.
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby b0redx3 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:53 pm

hey at least he didn't know that they were his parents... Hamlet is the real smart psycho.. hahaha
"Hopeless romantics are the idealists, the sentimental dreamers, the imaginative, and the fanciful. They give the world its once-upon-a-times and happily-ever-afters. Hopeless romantics may have their feet on the ground, but their souls fly somewhere over the rainbow."
b0redx3

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:42 pm

As in a lot of Greek tragedy the point is that Fate is something that one can
never really avoid no matter how clever one is in trying to do so.
There are a lot of IFs to the story of Oedipus:
What IF his parents had decided not to abandon him on the mountain?
What IF the sheperd had left him lying there?
What IF Oedipus hadn't gone to see the Oracle at Delphi?
What IF there hadn't been a famine at Thebes?
What IF Jocasta had recognized her son?
What IF Oedipus and his father hadn't both been so stubborn?
Etc...
mitsuki lover

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:21 pm

but the whole time they were tying to run away from their fate, which is inevitable

so what do ya think. Is his fate fair or no?

i say indescisive, becasue the Gods chose his fate, but he DID try to run away and stuff.

Next playwrite i have to read, death of a salesman
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby CDLviking » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:35 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Next playwrite i have to read, death of a salesman

Another one that people say is a classic, but I didn't enjoy it.
CDLviking

Postby olorc » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:51 am

sadly i haven't read it.
I am currently reading hamlet though, so far I'm, only through act 2.
Run the race so as not to be disqualified from the prize.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
olorc

Postby CDLviking » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:08 pm

I loved Hamlet.
CDLviking

Postby blkmage » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:07 pm

I'm going to be reading Oedipus the King after The Iliad in my Classical Civilization class.
blkmage

Postby Ducky » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:45 pm

Creon was great. He was totally my favorite character. Based mainly on the fact that he had the chorus following him around like puppies (to the best of my recollection) and he seemed almost sane (which is saying something). Antigone is by far my favorite of the three plays mainly because a friend of mine did a hilarious parody/rewrite of it...
Ducky

Postby termyt » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:23 am

Oedipus got what was coming to him. He killed his father and marries his mother. I'd say his reaction to that revelation was understandable. If he had been a little more humble and accepted some one else'e advise, the whole thing would have been very avoidable.

Have fun with Willie Lowman. He's another character whose a little messed in the head. But his kid Biff - boy could he simonize
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby ally-san » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:04 pm

o cool a discussion on oedipus! yea i read this book over the summer and finished reading hamlet two months ago. both are so interesting and if u think about it they are very similar. i had ti write an essay for my ap class on any subject pertaining to a comparison with hamlet so i decided to compare hamlet and oedipus. it wasnt an easy paper to write but just discussing the two was so interesting i couldnt stop writing. i really love the background of both the stories and if u have read hamlet and not oedipus then i highly suggest u do cuz it puts another perspective to it, like a predetermined fate and well i wont get into it, but i really loved both of these books.
"The only consolation I find in your immediate presence is your ultimate absence."

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Lord I give you my heart
I give you my soul
I live for you alone
Every breathe that I take
Every moment I'm awake
Lord have your way in me..
ally-san

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:22 pm

I love Oedipus. Great story.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Return to Book Corner