Myst and More

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Myst and More

Postby Muopii » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:21 pm

I have just begun reading the first book (not the games) of the Myst series. I wondered if there is anything objectional in it.
Have any of ya'll read them? Personally, so far, I like the characters. They intrigue me.
Does anyone recommend these books?

And while we're on the topic. What are your favorite books or comix that have been made from video games? Mine would probably be Halo, and the old Mario comics. :)
Mistakenly Underestimated Ostrich Protecting Its Innocence. (Muopii)

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love in faith and in purity. 1 Timothy 4:12 :angel:

Live every moment for the Lord and let his light shine within you day by day. :jump: :jump:

Muopii

Postby madphilb » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:23 pm

I've read all 3 Myst books, I can't think of a single objectionable thing (well, depends on who you are I guess).

No Sex to speak of.
Some tabaco use I believe.
Don't think there is any sort of "language" in the books.
Violence is minimum to non-existant.

Keep in mind that the authors are supposed to be Christians (Pastor's kids at the very least or something like that).... I found all three books enjoyable... it was fun to see the 1st book end at the beginning of the 1st game,.

Any other questions? ;)
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby SwordSkill » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:43 pm

The only thing I've ever read of Myst is the first issue of the comic book. Does that follow the books or the games?
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby JoyfulSongs » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:17 pm

I've never read the books, but I know that the theology in the games was interesting to say the least. Basically the guy tries to be a god. However, he is not a very good one--hence your presence there.

The gameplay is fascinating and mindbending; plus, you can ignore the storyline. That makes me wonder how good the books could be.
JoyfulSongs

Postby madphilb » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:53 pm

JoyfulSongs wrote:I've never read the books, but I know that the theology in the games was interesting to say the least. Basically the guy tries to be a god. However, he is not a very good one--hence your presence there.

Actually, that's not quite right.... and the books delve into much of that for you (though some of it is covered in Myst 3).

The concept of the books written (such as the age of Myst) are more in relation to the Sliders TV series than "playing god".... it is, however those who thought to "play god" that are looked upon as being the bad guys.

The art of writing that is presented in the games/books make a connection to one of infinate possibilites in the universe.

There is quite a bit of story to the games, not as large or deep as some games, but it's still there. The books expound on things alot more, where the games are more active in solving puzzles and the such, the books are more naritive in showing the poeple involved, and in the case of the 2nd book, a whole culture that we only get glimpses of in the games and the 1st book.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Return to Book Corner