Who else loves Michael Chrichton?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Who else loves Michael Chrichton?

Postby greyscale42 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:42 pm

I love Micheal Chrichton. Hes just the man :sweat: . The ultimate in action and interesting plot development and ideas. The co-writer of the movie Twister and father of E.R. as well as many successful novels which include Jurrassic Park (also a movie), Lost World (also a movie), Prey, Congo, Eaters of the Dead(the basis for the 13th warrior), Sphere, Terminal Man, The Andromeda Strain and many others. What do you guys think of him? :rock:
greyscale42

Postby oro! » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:06 pm

I actually haven't read any of the books, but I sure did like the movies made after them, like the Jurassic Park series and Timeline.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:53 pm

I've read Jurassic Park, Lost World better than the movie), Congo bored me and I thought Sphere was pretty good (way better than the movie).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ClosetOtaku » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:10 pm

Well, I don't "love" Crichton, but I do admire his works. I read "The Andromeda Strain" as a teenager; other books included "Jurassic Park", "Rising Sun" (interesting look at Japanese culture, but graphic), and "Timeline".

I met him once at a book signing for "Timeline". He recognized the origin of my last name (somewhat obscure) and we had a good 30-second discussion of it. He seems to have quite a good memory and is well-educated (he was, after all, an MD). Seems very personable. Of course, hard to tell in 30 seconds, but compared to other authors I've met in similar venues, he was quite impressive.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby madphilb » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:04 pm

Sphere was a great book.... Prey is really good too, though it twists a bit in the middle more than I expected. Read Terminal Man while in Highschool, was pretty interesting too....

and of course like most I've seen the movies, Fantastic Voyage (or was that someone else?), Andromida Strain, Jurassic Park, etc. (still haven't seen Timeline yet, but based on Ash's reaction when it came out I might not be in a big rush for it ;) )
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Scribs » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:30 pm

Chrichton is great :thumbsup: I own all of his novels and have read over half of them. Timeline (the book) was excellent however the movie was terrible compared to the book. I loved all of the books of his that I have read (except for Prey which I only liked) but whenever I see a movie based on one I feel like throttleing whoever was responsible; they never follow the plot the right way :stressed:

I think what makes his books so good is that he gives scientific explanations which make even things such as Living dinosaus, and time travel, seem possible.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Zane » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:49 pm

All his books are always better than the movie versions. JP and JP2 were better in book, sphere aswell.

yeah Prey was pretty intense wasn't it, he seems to be getting further and further out there isnt here.

Has anyone read Airframe? Thats slow to start off with but its a pretty good thriller. Don't read Disclosure... or if u do be aware that its pretty graphic with cheating-on-his-wife-part,... but after that its also not a bad thriller. Congo was interesting in my pov and I actually tought Andromida Strain HAD happend!! idiot :)

What he does is take the technology we have now and expands on it with the current theory we have floating around. Like if we DID find dino DNA we could create some kinda monster, but 15 years ago when the book came out it was still big theory... so maybe if we wait around abit longer we too can go back in time :)
Zane

Postby Scribs » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:53 pm

AH.. yes airframe, I did indeed enjoy that. It didn't have much action, but yet it just pulled me right in.

Has anyone out there read A Case of Need He wrote it early on in his writing career, under the name Jeffry Hudson. I own it but havn't read it yet and am wondering how good it is.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Hari » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:45 am

Jurassic Park! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!!

I loved Michael Crichton as a kid looking for interesting plot, and I adore him now as an older kid looking for both science and interesting plot! The guy is a genius, absolutely incredible on so many subjects! I loved the exploration of biology in JP, the animal behavior in LW, the physics in Sphere, the temporal paradox in Timeline... Wow.

If you like Michael Crichton, have you tried Peter Benchley, of Jaws fame? Not quite as sophisticated, but he writes the ocean well. I love that. :)
Hari

Postby Esoteric » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:04 pm

I've read a handfull of his books, Terminal Man, JP1 and 2, Sphere, Timeline. Seen Andromeda strain, Westworld, JP1,2, Sphere, Timeline...

I would say Sphere is my favorite of his books, and JP the most enjoyable of his movies (even though it changed quite a bit from the book. The changes worked in the movie.) I dunno, but it seems like no one can make good movies of his books. Why is that?? JP is the only one I like, really.
Esoteric

Postby Scribs » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:26 am

Jp was good as a movie, not as good as the book but still enjoyable.

Timeline would still be my favorite book, though I have recently read andromida strain and that was great.
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Zane » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:30 pm

Yeah andromeda IS awesome as a thriller. I agree.
Zane

Return to Book Corner