Gathering Blue

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Gathering Blue

Postby plutogrl03 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:30 pm

Has anyone read this book by Lois Lowry? I think it is supposed to complement The Giver. I think it was a good read but I like the Giver more (I've read it four times which is saying something since I almost never reread the same book). I think that Lowry is writing one more book to complement these two. Anyone here knows what the title of it is or when it comes out?

I'm trying to expand my horizons by checking out other forums on this site. Indulge me please. :sweat:
plutogrl03

Postby plutogrl03 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:26 pm

Hmmm...no one wants to answer. Feel the love. :shady:
plutogrl03

Postby Ssjjvash » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:47 pm

I haven't heard of her. what kind of books does she write?
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby plutogrl03 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:28 pm

Yay! Someone posted! Anyway, Lois Lowry writes young adult and children's books. I would say that the reading level for her books hovers between 5th to 8th grade. But don't let that turn you off. Her stories are very creative and engaging. I stink at summarizing, but I will post a summary of The Giver later. gtg
plutogrl03

Postby SwordSkill » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:58 pm

I remember Lowry's The Giver. I can't recall the details because it's been a long time, but I do know that it had quite a lot of depth for a children's book. Kind of like a Paulo-Coehlo-for-kids sort of thing, in hindsight. It was a pretty refreshing change.
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby Kireihana » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:08 pm

I read both books and didn't know that Gathering Blue was a sequel (or a prequel?) to The Giver until somebody told me. I liked it, but I liked The Giver much more. I've read that book at least 7 times ^^
Kireihana

Postby Esoteric » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:18 pm

An intriuging title. Never heard of Lowry, but that shouldn't be surprising: I haven't kept up with my reading very well since highschool. Someone care to give a brief summary of the book(s) for us ignorant unfortunates?
:brow:
Esoteric

Postby Spencer » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:43 pm

I have to admit I enjoyed the Giver a lot more than Gathering Blue. I read the Giver about 8 times. I loved it. Gathering Blue...It wass good, but I didn't see the relatioon to The Giver at all. I mean, the blue eyed boy at the end, okay (that's not a spoiler or anything), but still. They just seem so different.
:)
Spencer

Postby plutogrl03 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:15 pm

The third book, Messenger, is supposed to tie The Giver and Gathering Blue together. The main character of Messenger is Matty who was introduced in Gathering Blue. I haven't read it yet, but I plan to.

As for The Giver, I tried to make up my own summary to post here, but it never sounded right. So, here is the one from Amazon:

In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy. With echoes of Brave New World, in this 1994 Newbery Medal winner, Lowry examines the idea that people might freely choose to give up their humanity in order to create a more stable society. Gradually Jonas learns just how costly this ordered and pain-free society can be, and boldly decides he cannot pay the price.

Here is the one for Gathering Blue:
This eagerly awaited companion volume, by contrast, takes place in a village with only the most rudimentary technology, where anger, greed, envy, and casual cruelty make ordinary people's lives short and brutish. This society, like the one portrayed in The Giver, is controlled by merciless authorities with their own complex agendas and secrets. And at the center of both stories there is a young person who is given the responsibility of preserving the memory of the culture--and who finds the vision to transform it.
Kira, newly orphaned and lame from birth, is taken from the turmoil of the village to live in the grand Council Edifice because of her skill at embroidery. There she is given the task of restoring the historical pictures sewn on the robe worn at the annual Ruin Song Gathering, a solemn day-long performance of the story of their world's past. Down the hall lives Thomas the Carver, a young boy who works on the intricate symbols carved on the Singer's staff, and a tiny girl who is being trained as the next Singer. Over the three artists hovers the menace of authority, seemingly kind but suffocating to their creativity, and the dark secret at the heart of the Ruin Song.

With the help of a cheerful waif called Matt and his little dog, Kira at last finds the way to the plant that will allow her to create the missing color--blue--and, symbolically, to find the courage to shape the future by following her art wherever it may lead. With astonishing originality, Lowry has again created a vivid and unforgettable setting for this thrilling story that raises profound questions about the mystery of art, the importance of memory, and the centrality of love.

I hope that clarifies some things. If not let me know.
plutogrl03

Postby Esoteric » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:37 pm

Ah, thanks! I may have to find a copy of The Giver. it sounds quite intruiging, to say the least...
Esoteric

Postby plutogrl03 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:49 am

Glad I could be of service. :thumb:
plutogrl03

Postby blue whisper » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:09 pm

I have read both The Giver and The Messenger. They are extremely well written. I cannot wait to read The Messenger.

.:: Romans 8:28 ::.
ImageImage
blue whisper

Return to Book Corner