James Herriot

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

James Herriot

Postby Kireihana » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:36 pm

Anyone here read any of his books? (i.e. All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful)

I absolutely adore All Creatures Great and Small. I'm reading it right now and it's so funny! For those who don't know: It's about a young British vet who gets a job out in the English country. I think it's all based on true stories too. He's such a clever writer. ^_^ Anyway I highly recommend his books. :thumbsup:
Kireihana

Postby SwordSkill » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:01 pm

James Herriot! ^^ Memories from my childhood. I've read All Things Bright and Beautiful, All Creatures Great and Small, and All Things Wise and Wonderful a long time ago. He is just simply hilarious and obviously well at home in country-like settings. Very hard to put down his books. Great recommendation for light and optimistic reading...or if you want to learn a little of how certain animals give birth or some other. XD
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby Hephzibah » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:07 pm

I think I have read all his books... I just finished his Dog Stories actually ;) I also love the series based off his books; All Creatures Great and Small :P
Hephzibah

Postby shooraijin » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:24 pm

I've read them all myself. I'm a veterinarian's son, after all, so it was required reading while I was growing up. :)

Myself, I thought Tristan was the most entertaining character, and my favourite book is All Things Wise And Wonderful.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Hephzibah » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:36 pm

Yes! Tristan was ABSOLUTELY hilarious! But then again, Seigfreid was also funny, esp how he tormented his brother ;) Read the story 'Kind Hearts and Country Vets'. That is my favourite tale of Seigfreid ;)
Hephzibah

Postby SnowLeopard » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:50 pm

I loved ALL his books when I was growing up because of the great animal stories he told. I enjoy them now because I can understand the human angle better.

I have a mind like a steel trap. Rusty, unsafe, and illegal in 48 states.

Forgive my idiosyncrasies, for if they did not exist, neither would I.
SnowLeopard

Postby PrincessZelda » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:51 pm

Well, I haven't read the books, but I've seen the TV show.
PrincessZelda

Postby inkhana » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:37 pm

Wow, I'm surprised to see James Herriot come up! *looks at her copy of "The Best of James Herriot" sitting on her shelves* It's been so long since I've read it, but I adore his writing...^^

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby soul alive » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:09 pm

James Herriot's books were definately some of my favorites when i was growing up. my family had, or constantly checked out from the library, quite a few of the short stories - 'smudge, the little lost lamb,' 'only one woof,' 'moses the kitten,' 'oscar, cat-about-town,' 'bonny's big day,' 'blossom comes home,' as well as the cat and dog story collections. he was such a great writer.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Hephzibah » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:15 am

I love Moses the Kitten and Oscar, Cat-About-Town!! I also like the stories about his two wild-kittens... sad how one died though :sniffle:
Hephzibah

Postby Galant » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:16 pm

Yay for James Herriot! Just started reading him, to make up for it though I just have to let you all know that I grew up in exactly the type of scenery he describes in his books. He talks of Yorkshire, I grew up in neighbouring Lancashire. I travelled many times to Yorkshire, and visited many farms. If you're interested there's a small book, a photo journal called 'Forgotten Landscape'. About the Pennines and surrounding areas. Very few seem to know of our beautiful land their but I don't believe it's exaggerating things to say that Northern England features some of the most unique and beautiful landscape on God wondrous planet. You may never hear of the moors or pennines on any travel show, but they're amazing places, and worth a visit should you ever get the chance.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/2262/V/1/SP/332222698922328571254

Oh and if you do...invite me! :)

EDIT: The book is by Alistair Lee, his website is http://www.posingproductions.com/

I suggest you go there and then go to the section with the 360 degree rotating panoramas. Beautiful views of what I was talking about.

For a clue - think the Shire from Lord of the Rings.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Adopted by Starfire!

OATS - for Shoobie goodness!
Galant

Postby Kireihana » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:05 pm

Galant wrote:Yay for James Herriot! Just started reading him, to make up for it though I just have to let you all know that I grew up in exactly the type of scenery he describes in his books.

Me too! Except not in England ^^ But the area of Tennessee where I live is very similar. Lots of farmland, rolling hills, and cows.

I'm still reading the first book (I tend to read more than one book at the same time, so sometimes it takes me a while to finish one) and the only bad thing I can say about it is that it's one of the reasons I stopped wanting to be a veterinarian. :lol: This was a long time ago when I was probably in 5th grade, and I started reading it and the part where he's helping a cow give birth, and I was like, vets have to do that? XD Also I visited my dogs' vet one day and she let me watch a dog get spayed... after that I pretty much lost my dreams of being a vet.

My favorite character would probably be Seigfried. He would drive me crazy in real life but in the book he's just hilarious. I also like Mrs. Pumphrey and her dog Tricki. I think the stories about them are probably my favorite.
Kireihana

Postby Godly Paladin » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:38 pm

I read them all, and I must say that I literally mowed through the first two. I loved 'em. But then at around 3 and 4 the stories started repeating. I was reading to myself and kept on saying "Haven't I heard something like this before?" And the military stuff kinda turned me off. I wanted to hear about the countryside, not the army! And then the language was bad...

But all that said, yeah, I liked them. I still go back to read the first one every once in a while.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Hari » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:40 am

Mmmmm... James Herriot!

I love the "chasing cows around" stories, and Tricki Woo was always a great favorite... :) His military-related tales were fantastic, and Tristan! I never laughed so hard at a man, while so thoroughly feeling appalled!

Great stuff!
Hari

Return to Book Corner