GIMP v2.0 -- decent imaging for free

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Postby GeneD » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:32 am

It was a start up problem with loading fonts or something, but I seem to have cleared it up. Thanks anyway.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby silent-wings » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:21 pm

I just wanna update everyone on the GIMP since there is a NEW version out! =D

Main website: http://www.gimp.org/

Download for Windows:
http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Download for Macintosh (Apple PC):
http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/
http://darwingimp.sourceforge.net/download.html

Enjoy! :jump:
Call me Win (short for wings) if you want. =)

I will give you peace and quietness. [I Chronicles 16:11]

"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?" -Vincent Van Gogh

Currently Listening to:
|| Nebulous by Manic Drive ||

~My art is over here.~
silent-wings

Postby MangArtist » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:29 pm

I's need help! D8
I'm trying to color my pictures,(I'm using layers) but the black lines always have little white specks on them. How do I get rid of the white without making the black look really blocky? =(
"Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you." (Deuteronomy 30:6)

Muh DA page.
MangArtist

Postby Anime&horse nut » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Just to recap are u talking about the 2.0 v or the 2.6.2 v?
Anime&horse nut

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Anime&horse nut (post: 1386633) wrote:Just to recap are u talking about the 2.0 v or the 2.6.2 v?

Well, the original post was back in 2004, so I suspect it was 2.0 at that time. As the thread evolved over the next four years, they were bound to have talked about various other versions. It has been about a year and a half since the last post, so I'm guessing no one has been talking about the 2.6 release recently. I think the latest version is 2.6.8, but I could be behind on my release notes.

HIH
Mithrandir

Postby Anime&horse nut » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:22 pm

Yep it is 2.6.8 im way behind so thanks.
^.^
Anime&horse nut

Postby Kurama » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Yeah, I lost my photoshop, so I had recently made my Celty set through the latest GIMP. It's really updated since I've last used it. ^^

I <3 GIMP. xD
Kurama

Postby ST. Attidude » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:43 pm

Does anyone recall how to compress the file size of a raster image with GIMP? I'm working on this website project for my Flash class final, and since it will be portfolio-themed I'll be using a lot of them so the smaller in memory they are the better...
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby Midori » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Are you working with JPEGs? If they're JPEGs or similar, then after you try to "Save As" there should be a dialog with a slider controlling the compression rate. If you check the "preview in image window" box, it'll show you the file size, which you can compare with the perceived image quality.

If you're using a non-lossy format like PNGs, there's not much you can do to shrink the files. You can change the mode to indexed 256 colors, or reduce the resolution, but that's mostly it.
Midori

Postby ST. Attidude » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:49 pm

Yup that slider be the ticket. These images do happen to be JPEGs and I work with those constantly so I feel like I should know that but oh well lol. Thanks, Midori.
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:13 pm

As soon as I learn to do an offset and something like the clone brush on Gimp, I'll be using it for texturing. I already got the normal map plugin on ubuntu, even though it refused to install on windows. I would use photoshop for this, but all the adobe products are tied together, so I can't have photoshop on one machine and everything else on another. The machine that I do my 3d work on doesn't have firewire, so I can't capture video. I need premiere on the machine that does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mithrandir » Sat May 01, 2010 6:37 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1391114) wrote:...all the adobe products are tied together, so I can't have photoshop on one machine and everything else on another...

Just FYI: Don't try moving the apps around, either. During the install, Adobe apps have historically modified the boot sector as part of their copy protection racket... Er, I mean scheme. Here's a link, but it's very anti-adobe. At any rate, there's some data about half-way down the page about dual booting win/etc if you have a product that uses the sector 32 CPS. (FTR, I don't know if adobe uses this scheme anymore). http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/321444.html

HIH
Mithrandir

Re: GIMP v2.0 -- decent imaging for free

Postby Noblewreck » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:46 pm

GIMP is great. Very comparable to CorelDraw. Perhaps just as good. I do wish, however, that it had CMYK processing properties. I can't save in CMYK. :'( But, hey its free.
Noblewreck

Re: GIMP v2.0 -- decent imaging for free

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:09 am

Dude... gravedig of almost 4 years.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Previous

Return to Tutorials