Amplifying AT&T 4G LTE Cell Signal

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Amplifying AT&T 4G LTE Cell Signal

Postby Mullet Death » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:32 am

I recently upgraded to a 10GB data plan with included tethering so I can connect my desktop for school projects and basic use. The biggest problem with this idea is that we live in a house with a metal roof in the sticks. When outside or sometimes when next to a window with the curtains not drawn, I can get a weak 4G signal, which is what I'm using to type this now on my phone. I need some cheap way of amplifying the existing signal enough to work in my bedroom on my tethered PC. I must stress the "cheap" part as this is only a temporary fix so I can get my homework done. I'd rather not pay some of the outrageous fees I've seen for some signal amplifiers on the net, but I'm also not sure if any of the cheap ones would work. Any ideas about stuff like this?

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Re: Amplifying AT&T 4G LTE Cell Signal

Postby FourFourSeven » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:50 am

Do you know if AT&T offers a weather-proof USB-based antenna solution? Perhaps something resembling Sprint's AirRave (which I have), except one that excludes dependency on having an internet connection, if it exists at all.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

"Why can't EVERYTHING be rocket propelled?!"
-Mattias Nilsson, Mercenaries 2: World In Flames
FourFourSeven

Postby Mullet Death » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:13 pm

FourFourSeven wrote:Do you know if AT&T offers a weather-proof USB-based antenna solution? Perhaps something resembling Sprint's AirRave (which I have), except one that excludes dependency on having an internet connection, if it exists at all.

Do you mean something like this:
http://www.att.com/standalone/3gmicroce ... M#features

That's all that I can see as far as AT&T solutions, and it would indeed require an existing internet connection (which makes me wonder who the target market is?). :(

Mullet Death

Postby FourFourSeven » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Yeah, that's about what I guessed. The only other option I could possibly think of is DSL. But this does mean having to pay for another comm service on top of your cell phone. I just can't see a whole lot of options - or even a few - in this case. That is, considering if DSL, or even cable, extends out far enough to your area.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

FourFourSeven

Postby shooraijin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:45 pm

I use a rooftop aerial that connects to an amplifier inside the house. This works pretty well, but I only use 3G, not LTE, and it was about $180 and needed permanent installation (but it took me only about 20 minutes to do). I don't think there's any such thing as a "cheap wireless amp" that also is decent.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby FourFourSeven » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:04 pm

Two extra components?
-Napoleon Bonaparte

FourFourSeven

Postby Xeno » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:06 pm

1. It's not going to be cheap.
2. You'll have to get FCC approval to install an LTE radio amplifier since they're different from the systems that 3G systems run on.

Do you not have an actual internet connection in your house? If not then you'll need to look into one of the AT&T Microcell.

Also, the Microcell is for low cellular coverage in locations where people have hardline internet run to. The microcell provides cellular coverage to a small area, then routes the cellular service through the internet.
Xeno

Postby Mullet Death » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:38 pm

For the record, just bought a new USB cable for tethering and tried it with my phone sitting next to the window, and it works, though admittedly I still don't get a good signal. Typing this from my PC, actually. Went ahead and bought a single-phone signal amplifier from Wilson Electronics on Amazon for $135. We'll see how that goes. The weird thing was, Windows 7 didn't have the drivers I needed to make it work, but Ubuntu 12.04 did. Usually it's the other way around.

Mullet Death

Postby Xeno » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:14 pm

This seems more relevant to the thread now.

Xeno

Return to Tutorials