Citing a play in an anthology using MLA standards

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Citing a play in an anthology using MLA standards

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:51 pm

Hey everybody, I know this is a bit of a tall order but... Would any of you happen to know how to cite a play that's in a large anthology using MLA standards? I'm writing a paper on "Doctor Faustus" for one of my classes so I need to know how I can cite passages from the text. :-/ If I wanted to cite throughout, would it be something like "(Playwright's Name, Line #'s)"?

I e-mailed my instructor but haven't heard back yet so I thought I'd see if any of you guys knew. Thanks!
mysngoeshere56

Re: Citing a play in an anthology using MLA standards

Postby goldenspines » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:03 am

I love MLA, it's the most logical of citing styles. *_*

In the text, when you quote lines, cite it by the last name of author of the work and line numbers (you can include page numbers, but if you give the page span in your bibliography entry, you don't need to. But cite line numbers definitely).

Citing something from an anthology in the bibliography is pretty straight forward. It goes, author[lastname, firstname] (of the work, not the anthology editor), title of work (italics, unless it's an essay or poem), title of anthology (italics), editor of anthology, city of publication., date of publication., page span of the play, medium of publication (e.g. Print)

Here's a thing for citing dramas if you need more info (that even includes a thing about citing from anthologies): http://libguides.pstcc.edu/content.php? ... id=1751573

And while I love talking about citing stuff, it's often much more helpful to just google these sorts of questions about citing. ^_^ There are a lot of official citing guides online made by well known colleges' writing departments for the use of students everywhere (like the one I linked, or Purdue Online Writing Lab is also a great resource).
goldenspines

Re: Citing a play in an anthology using MLA standards

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:42 am

I love MLA too, I think it's so much easier than anything else. :)

Thank you so much for all the help! That website is a great resource. :)
mysngoeshere56

Return to Tutorials