Help with McAfee/Windows Defender on Windows 8?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Help with McAfee/Windows Defender on Windows 8?

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:48 am

Hey everybody, so I'm on a Dell with Windows 8, and I *love* it! However, it came with a free trial of McAfee, and it expired. I'm getting notifications that the computer isn't protected anymore left and right, but I also know that Windows 8 already came with Windows Defender installed, so it should be fine. The problem is, Windows Defender has apparently been turned off because McAfee was running instead. I'd rather just run Windows Defender instead of paying for McAfee. How can I turn it off so that I won't get McAfee notifications anymore and will instead only have Windows Defender on?
mysngoeshere56

Re: Help with McAfee/Windows Defender on Windows 8?

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am

This should have one of your answers and even with windows defender on I would highly reccomend another antivirus to replace McAfee, I use both Malwarebytes and Avast! Antivirus on all my systems both are free and with one being anti-malware and the other anti-virus they should be sufficient free replacements for McAfee though it's up to you.
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby goldenspines » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Un-install all the McAfee files off your computer if you don't want it anymore and see if you can switch on Windows defender then. If not, either buy McAfee or get some other anti-virus program (or leave your compy unprotected, but yeah...).

I use McAfee, and while it's actually a pretty good program, it's a bully to all other anti-virus programs. It's not compatible with anything else, really, that's why it switched off Windows Defender.
goldenspines

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:50 pm

goldenspines wrote:It's not compatible with anything else, really, that's why it switched off Windows Defender.

Oh wow, I had no idea about that. Thanks for letting me know - I never would've guessed that.

Thank you both! I'll look into your suggestions and give them a shot. I'll let you know if I need more help.
mysngoeshere56

Return to Tutorials