Crocheting

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Crocheting

Postby Atria35 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:55 am

This has been my most recent hobby, and I've been searching out patterns over the net. However, I can't read the patterns! Does anyone have any tips on how to read them?

If you also have a few neat patterns, I'm open to those, too.
Atria35

Postby aliveinHim » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:32 am

Well, do you understand the language of crocheting? Here's a golossary.

ch--chain
sc--single crochet
hdc--half double crochet
dc--double crochet
tc--treble crochet

Basically if you can read these, you can read any pattern. I've can message you my favorite hat pattern that I made up (it's a kitty ear hat). I have my Vocaloid doll crochet patterns I've made up to. I'll prolly make a tutorial for dA.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby PrincessZelda » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:39 am

The main thing with most patterns it just that they use abbreviations (So the pattern's only one page long, rather than 3 or whatever). It depends on the pattern, but if they have any different stitches aside from like single and double crochet they'll have a list of what the abbreviations mean. Sometimes they'll even have instructions on how to do those stitches.

Here's a site I just found that's got a list of different stitches, their abbreviations, and how to do them. http://www.styledbykristin.com/crochet-stitch-glossary/
PrincessZelda

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:49 am

From what I remember, patterns are hard to get the hang of reading, and you need a table that says what each abbreviation means. My mom's books (where I learned how to crochet) had them, and I'd expect online pattern sources to each have one somewhere, too. Here's one I found on a pattern on the first site Google gave me:
beg : begin(ning)
CA, CB, etc : Color A, Color B, etc
ch : chain
dc : double crochet
dec : decrease
hdc : half double crochet
inc : increase
mm : millimeters
pat : patterns
rem : remain(ing)
rep : repeat
sc : single crochet
sl st : slip stitch
st(s) : stitch(es)
* or ** : repeat whatever follows the * or ** as indicated
[] : work directions in brackets the number of times specified

I think these are American abbreviations. British ones are different, as shown on this page. Check if the site you're getting patterns from is American or British.

With the abbreviations translated, patterns written like this:
[quote="pattern from earlier"]BACK-Ribbing: With smaller hook and CC, ch 46 (48, 52, 56). Fasten off.
Row 1 (Right Side): Attach CA in last ch made]Mean this:

BACK-Ribbing: With a smaller hook and Color C, make 46 (or depending on the size above you want, 48, 52, or 56) chain stitches. Fasten off and cut thread. You should have a chain of 46 stitches.
Row 1 (Right Side): Attach Color A in the last chain stitch made; make 3 more chain stitches, double crotchet in the closest Color C chain stitch and in each Color C chain stitch across; turn- there are 46 (Or 48, 52, 56) stitches in that row. [This really wasn't clearly stated; I had to figure it out.]
Row 2: Make 2 chain stitches, skip the first of the double crocheted stitches, [*] double crotchet in the next double crochet stitch towards the front, then double crochet in the next double crochet stitch towards the back; repeat from "[*]" to the last double crochet stitch; then half-double crochet in the top of the chain.
Rows 3 and 4: Repeat Row 2 twice more. Then change to a larger hook...

Does that help?
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby aliveinHim » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:18 am

I just make up my own patterns. Understanding the basics allows you to do that.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:07 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1496714) wrote:I just make up my own patterns. Understanding the basics allows you to do that.

Well, following patterns at first can help you by showing you how to make a sweater (or whatever) properly. Also, when you're first starting out, following a pattern gives you one less thing to think/worry about.

And even if they are experienced, some people just don't want to constantly wonder if the sleeves will fit on the torso right, or if the head of the doll is too large.

But it depends what you're making. Sometimes there just isn't a pattern out there for what you want to make, or you know from past experience patterns don't work for you. When I crocheted, I made up plenty of patterns after a poor experience. That said, some of those crochet patterns out there are pretty cool, and it would be awesome if I could follow one and succeed.

FllMtl Novelist

Postby goldenspines » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm

I am terrible with patterns as well; therefore I only crochet scarves. XD;

Zelly and Fu gave the best advice. Patterns are a bit hard to follow at first until you get used to the terminology (and the counting!). And like Fu also mentioned, patterns are a good place to start to learn different and fun techniques that you can use later on perhaps a made up project that doesn't have a pattern. ^_^
goldenspines

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:50 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1496705) wrote:I've can message you my favorite hat pattern that I made up (it's a kitty ear hat). I have my Vocaloid doll crochet patterns I've made up to. I'll prolly make a tutorial for dA.

I love making hats <3 They seem to be the things that actually come out as they're supposed to xD Mind sharing it with me as well ^__^?

Youtube has some pretty good crochet tuts ^^ I really like The Art of Crocheting by Teressa ones <3

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=crochet+by+teresa&aq=0&oq=crochet+by+
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Atria35 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks, guys! I understand the basic terminology (slst, DC, SC, chain) - I'm not sure what it is, but attempting to actually put it together into words frustrates me to no end. I'm not sure why I keep messing up the patterns when I *think* I'm following the pattern properly. I also am not fond of making my own patterns- I'm not that creative! v.v

And yes, I would ADORE that kitty-ears pattern! ^.^ I've just promised a friend one for Xmas and she's super-excited. Do you know how much yarn it takes, too?
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:12 am

Okay, I'm seriously instruction-dumb. I was following a pattern to the letter- and it was one that had been tested, so it wasn't the pattern that was wrong- and I ended up with a star-shaped ring for the center instead of a round. I really wish there was a knitting/crocheting group in my town so I could ask someone to help me with it, because I have NO idea what I did wrong or why it came out the way it did!
Atria35

Postby Sheenar » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:38 pm

Try asking on Ravelry.com --it's like Facebook for knitters/crocheters. There are wonderful people and groups on there that can walk you through the pattern step by step.

And who knows? You may be able to find a crocheting group in your area through that site. :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:51 pm

Atria35 (post: 1497371) wrote:Okay, I'm seriously instruction-dumb. I was following a pattern to the letter- and it was one that had been tested, so it wasn't the pattern that was wrong- and I ended up with a star-shaped ring for the center instead of a round. I really wish there was a knitting/crocheting group in my town so I could ask someone to help me with it, because I have NO idea what I did wrong or why it came out the way it did!

I'm guessing you did the right stitches, but put them in the wrong places--crocheted the piece into itself, kind of. Unfortunately I can't clearly describe using words what exactly I think the mistake was, but if you look closely at your work and figure out how those corners were made, it might help.

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:02 pm

These were the instructions for the second round, where I end up with the star:

Ch 3, sc in same st, *(dc in next st, sc in same st) repeat 10 times; join with slip st in
3rd ch of beg ch-3. Finish off

My guess is that I did it in the wrong stitch? I don't mind the star, it's just that I'm not good enough/creative enough to incoporate it into a pattern on my own.

Edit: Nevermind, figured out part of what I was doing wrong!
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:53 pm

[quote="Atria35 (post: 1497431)"]These were the instructions for the second round, where I end up with the star:

Ch 3, sc in same st, *(dc in next st, sc in same st) repeat 10 times]
Since I can't tell right off, here's a plain English translation: Make 3 chain stitches, single crochet in the same stitch [the one the chain comes out of; this will give you a loop], * (double crochet in the next stitch, single crochet in the same stitch you just double crocheted in) repeat 10 times [you should have 11 little double-crochet/single-crochet sections]; join the row you just stitched with its beginning [that tiny chain loop from earlier] by making a slip stitch in the third stitch of the chain [the one right before the single crochet stitch; this makes the illusion of a 12th double-crochet/single-crochet section]. Finish off.

If that's exactly what you did, you should have a rather wavy or fluttery (but not pointed) edge to the ring. If you did all that and still didn't get what you were supposed to, I have no idea what happened. Perhaps the pattern gave the wrong picture?

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Atria35 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:16 am

I figured out what was wrong!

I finished one project and started another. This thread definitely helped me out! ^.^
Atria35

Postby seaglass27 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:25 am

I don't crochet but my sister does and she does something called amigurumi. Google it. You know you want to.
seaglass27

Postby Atria35 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:19 am

Otaku Jordan (post: 1498110) wrote:I don't crochet but my sister does and she does something called amigurumi. Google it. You know you want to.

You're right. I did.

That is SO ADORABLE AND COOL! I must learn how to do this now.
Atria35

Postby seaglass27 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 am

I recommend reading a book by Annie Obaachan.
seaglass27

Postby Atria35 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:41 pm

Otaku Jordan (post: 1498125) wrote:I recommend reading a book by Annie Obaachan.

I will. In the meanwhile I will be searching out patterns online for ones I don't feel like doing.
Atria35

Postby Atria35 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Double-post, but man, Jordan! Thanks for cluing me into that amigurumi. I just finished my first Cthulhu plushie thanks to the internet and my own ingenuity!
Atria35

Return to Tutorials