Help a would-be fashion designer?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Help a would-be fashion designer?

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:52 pm

Hey everybody! :-)

So, I've been doing some shopping for clothes, but I've discovered that not very many retail stores really cater to my own style. I have found a couple stores to my liking, but even they seem to have a limited amount of things I'd actually wear.

I think most of those who cater toward my preferred style work in other countries. But, I don't have the money to have their products shipped here, nor do I have time, money, or even the desire to move overseas. I also don't really care for wearing the same stuff all the time...

And so, I'm thinking I might as well just learn how to make my own clothes. I'm willing on make just about anything - shirts, pants, accessories, etc. However, I could use some tips on how to get started.

Do you guys have any good sites to recommend? Any cheap sewing machine brands that I should look out for? Anything?
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Yeah- if you want a sewing machine that will last, go for a Viking or a Singer. Those are quality brands. Do NOT buy a cheap $100 in any old store. You will get screwed over badly. My mother got one of those. Died the first time she used it. That was money down the drain. Definitely go to your local Jo-Ann's or whatnot to get something reputable. Check reviews online.

Even those brands can seel doozy's, so I'm really warning you and telling you to watch out for the cheap ones.
Atria35

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:11 pm

What'd the average price of a relatively good machine be?
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Atria35 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:31 pm

From $100-$400. If you want to stay reasonable, of course. Shop around, watch for sales- my mom got me an $800 machine for $400 because they were old enough that they were just going to be sent back to the companies for new ones the next day. I think they were floor models, too, and that helped. But even $100 can be iffy *points to example of $100 that mom bought and broke after first time*. If you research enough, then you could probably find some good ones for that price. Defintiely pay attention to complaints, though, about a model.
Atria35

Postby UniqueAngelStar » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:24 pm

Wow! I love it when people want to dress in their own individual unique style!
I'm doing the same too!

When you began sewing, you should search for sewing patterns such as simplipity, Butterkick etc by art stores or online.
Make sure to measure yourself before buying the patterns so it fits your size.
When you like the patterns, buy them and find fabrics that goes well with it.

In the meantime, you can look at other styles around that are inspiring to you.
It helps me to dress unique with style!

Good luck! Can't wait until your outfits comes up!
ImageImage
[color="DarkOrchid"]@)[/color][color="DarkGreen"]}~`,~[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Proud member of[/color] MOES!
UniqueAngelStar

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:15 am

Thanks you two! :-) I'll have to keep my eyes out for some good machines (and for their dropping prices). I did sew for a short period of time, but that was for a required elective I took back in grades 5 and 6. Quite some time ago, to say the least... Though, I admit, it certainly doesn't feel as long as it really has been.

In the mean time, I think I'll stick to simple things that I can sew by hand. Stuff like editing t-shirts and the like. I've already found one YouTube channel that has a bunch of ideas that I like. Does anybody else have links (or even book recommendations) for people who would like to start designing outfits?

And for now, it doesn't really even have to *exclusively* be outfits. It's been years since I've sewn anything, so I'll take whatever simple practice I can get. Pillows, bean bags... whatever. :-)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Asuka Neko » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:14 pm

PM Neko-hime. That's what I would do...

She sews a lot, so she could probably help! I personally know nothing about sewing, though, so I will be no help.
~My Website~
[color="Cyan"]"Have you ever gotten the urge to do something crazy... and AWESOME!?" -Demyx[/color]
Asuka Neko

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Asuka Neko (post: 1472665) wrote:PM Neko-hime. That's what I would do...

She sews a lot, so she could probably help! I personally know nothing about sewing, though, so I will be no help.

Neko-hime? I looked on the members list but didn't find somebody with that username.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:21 pm

Go on Etsy its a really good store for cool unique clothes :) some of the stuff is pretty cheap too but go do quality, I like etsy and just thrift stores my self XD if you like Vintage stuff at all try Red light.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby c.t.,girl » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:37 pm

Etsy is an enemy to my wallet. XD

I totally agree with UniqueAngleStar about Simplicity and Butterick (not Butterkick lol), however, my mom (who makes my clothes and costumes) says Simplicity is the best and the easiest, more so than Butterick.

ALSO! My mom informed me that for sewing machines Brothers, Kenmore and, of course, Singer. She payed a little over $200 for her Kenmore at Sears and it's pretty big...she's also had it since I was a little kid. A Brothers sewing machine "can be about $159+." Finally the Singer machine, "for a good one, expect to pay $3-500."
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:17 am

Hey everybody, so I've finally started hand-sewing some outfits together. I plan on trying to find a way to save up for a machine soon, so could you recommend any sewing websites that might help me make my decision? Maybe even Amazon could help me find reviews on models to help me find the most useful one, and then I could see if Jo-Anne has it...
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Return to Tutorials