Best way to learn Chinese?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Best way to learn Chinese?

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:03 pm

Hey everybody!

So, I've been able to speak some Japanese and Chinese for quite some time now. But, I would like to brush up on my Chinese some more... And the family members that speak it are typically not easy for me to get a hold of (not to mention, live pretty far from where I am).

So, I was wondering if anybody knew of some good (preferably free) ways to teach myself Chinese?

(I would say Japanese too, but since somebody else posted a thread about it, I might as well just follow up on that one instead of post another! XD)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby shooraijin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:28 am

It's easy to self-teach reading Chinese characters (well, not easy, but simpler), but for verbal education there's no substitute for immersion.

My cousin is an "English teacher" (cough cough) at a small town in Red China. He's as white as I am, while his wife is second generation Chinese-American, but he speaks better Mandarin because of his training. However, her Mandarin dramatically improved when they moved because it had to. Their children are of course totally bilingual.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:02 am

Yes, I would imagine as much. I'm pretty good with picking up on languages I read, though... Would anybody know of some good ways for me to hear the language until I'm able to find somebody to immerse with (so I know I'm pronouncing things correctly)?

And thanks for the tip. I'll probably want to find some Chinese people in this area that speak it...
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Hiryu » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:36 pm

The internet i'm sure has a few free options that you can find. smart.fm would probably help.
Hiryu

Postby Furen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:24 pm

Play on Google Translate for hours upon hours
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Sammy Boy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Another way that may be helpful is to rent or borrow TV series produced in either Taiwan or China (preferrably with English subtitles).

Keep in mind that there are some cultural-linguistic differences in the way some phrases are pronounced / used between the two places.

Although it may not help you speak it much better, it would help with your listening skills quite a bit, and from there you can practice saying the phrases like the actors / actresses.
Sammy Boy

Return to Tutorials