Screenshots from Anime

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Screenshots from Anime

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:25 am

How do you get screen shots from anime shows? I want some pics of Kurogane from Tsubasa, for example, and there aren't very many. I know about getting them through windows movie maker, but I am wondering if there is a way to get them without downloading the episodes.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Midori » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:20 pm

There's a print-screen key on most keyboards that's supposed to take a snapshot of whatever is on your screen, so if you can make it do that while you're playing the DVD on your computer it ought to take a screenshot.
Midori

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:54 pm

Ah, thanks. I knew about print screen, but I never could get it to work so I thought it required a special program or something. As it turns out it sends it to the 'clipboard' so you can paste it into a graphics editing program, like MS paint. So, question answered! Thanks, Midori!
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:13 pm

I have actually tried this, and for some reason, when I do a print screen, whatever it is I caught will then move with the video once it's playing again, and when the video is done, it will be a black box or just blank. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Wyntre Rose

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:17 pm

I've had this happen too. I'm not exactly sure why it does, though. I have two guesses why it my be...

My first guess is that the graphics card can do the video decoding in hardware, so the buffer that the print-screen command is reading doesn't ever actually see the data.

It's also possible it's just a copy-protection thing, and the MPAA asks the OS manufactures to cripple that function for DVD playing applications.

I can't say for certain, though.
Mithrandir

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:50 am

Oh.

I have to admit, I don't 100% understand what you said about the graphics card, etc...:sweat: But I did gather that it's probably not going to be something I'll be able to do anything about, right? lol.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Arya Raiin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:21 pm

Wyntre Rose (post: 1387361) wrote:Oh.

I have to admit, I don't 100% understand what you said about the graphics card, etc...:sweat: But I did gather that it's probably not going to be something I'll be able to do anything about, right? lol.

Mith's very good a speaking techish! ^_^

Mith doesn't like speaking any other language too much thought... ;)
Arya Raiin

Postby Rusty Claymore » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Mith works at University. Or something. He out brain feebles who are we. Does it do that even if you paste, save, then close both programs without resuming the DVD?
Rusty Claymore

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:37 am

Rusty Claymore (post: 1387580) wrote:Mith works at University. Or something. He out brain feebles who are we. Does it do that even if you paste, save, then close both programs without resuming the DVD?

[quote="Arya Raiin"]Mith's very good a speaking techish!^_^
Mith doesn't like speaking any other language thought... ]

:lol: to the both of you.

@Rusty Claymore: Yeah, it does. :sniffle:
Wyntre Rose

Postby MightiMidget » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Download VLC Media Player and then pause, right click and then I think go Video --> Snapshot. That's how I get my screencaps from DVDs. VLC is not a shady player either, the tech support guy had at one point recommended it to my Dad to download to make things work better. So it should be clean.
MightiMidget

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Actually, I already have a VLC player, so I will give it a try. lol. Just a sec...

:o Oh my gosh, it worked!! :hug: You're a genius!!
Wyntre Rose

Return to Tutorials