Making plushies?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Making plushies?

Postby wildpurplechild » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:28 am

I love plushies! But they can be kind of expensive, and some characters are hard to find, so I try to make my own.
I would like to know if how to make eyes for my plushie, if can help me thanks! ;)
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Some people paint eyes on directly to the face, others paint on other fabric and then attach the fabric to the plushies. Maybe buttons if you're going for that look? There are other ways too.
Ante Bellum

Postby wildpurplechild » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:56 pm

Thank you, I've tried paint for another plushie I made, I think I might try markers this time... We'll see how this one turns out. If any one has more suggestions please comment :)
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Lil_Ninja » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:56 am

What fabric are you using?

What I personally like doing is cutting out fabric for the eyes, and sewing it on (you have to be careful what fabric you use though, because some types fray when you try to sew it at the edge, and that's a major pain in the tush. I personally like using fleece for dolls and hats). Though I've never tried using markers or paint, I don't like how marker looks on fabric (if you're trying to make it look legit) and paint I imagine would chip and crack after a while. Not too sure about fabric paint though. I like making my dolls last though, so I've just stuck to fabric eyes.

What character are you trying to make? I might be able to give you tips on certain aspects of it.
[SIZE="5"][color="Blue"]~[/color][color="Lime"]K[/color][color="Blue"]Y[/color][color="Lime"]L[/color][color="blue"]L[/color][color="lime"]A[/color][color="blue"]H[/color][color="lime"]A[/color][color="blue"]N[/color][color="blue"]~[/color][/SIZE]
[color="cyan"][SIZE="5"]42[/SIZE][/color]
[color="royalBlue"][SIZE="1"]The meaning of life,
the universe,
and everything.[/SIZE][/color]
Lil_Ninja

Postby wildpurplechild » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:39 pm

@ Lil_Ninja I think the fabric I used was cotton based, though I think I might go out and buy some fleece for my future plushies. You also gave me a great idea for the eyes, thanks!
Here is the finished product and a pic of who he's modeled after. Oh, if you can't tell, he's in a fox outfit :lol:[ATTACH]34967[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]34968[/ATTACH]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wildpurplechild

Postby wildpurplechild » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:41 pm

This is who he is modeled after.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wildpurplechild

Postby Lil_Ninja » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:46 pm

Pretty good! I like the eyes :D

If I can make a suggestion for the face for future reference, if you give it more seam room (not sewing so close to the edge of the fabric), you wont have the fabric pull away from the stitching (not totally sure if that happened, just guessing).. Also, closer stitching helps.. And hopefully that made sense to you XD
[SIZE="5"][color="Blue"]~[/color][color="Lime"]K[/color][color="Blue"]Y[/color][color="Lime"]L[/color][color="blue"]L[/color][color="lime"]A[/color][color="blue"]H[/color][color="lime"]A[/color][color="blue"]N[/color][color="blue"]~[/color][/SIZE]
[color="cyan"][SIZE="5"]42[/SIZE][/color]
[color="royalBlue"][SIZE="1"]The meaning of life,
the universe,
and everything.[/SIZE][/color]
Lil_Ninja

Postby wildpurplechild » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Lil_Ninja! I'll try that!
wildpurplechild

Return to Tutorials