3D Modeling

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

3D Modeling

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:35 pm

I'm gonna make myself do it finally. Any tips or tricks? I have G-max, and will be getting a copy of... Maya? (I just realised I have never seen it written...) Or you can just yell at me to get off of here and just do it.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby Jingo Jaden » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:36 am

Maya is not the kind of program which most people can just pick up and use. The first thing you'd want to search is poly modeling.

However, you can also use this as a good reference site for tutorials.

3dTotal.com - Free stuff - Tutorials - Maya

And there you go, lots of stuff for beginners and such.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby RidleyofZebes » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:24 pm

I have a question about 3D modeling as well. Has anyone ever used Blender before, and if so, what purposes would you recommend it for? I've known about it for a few years, but have been too intimidated to actually pick it up.
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby Jingo Jaden » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcBECFLXmuc

That was made with blender. Take your pic of the purposes it was used for in that film.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Valkaiser » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:51 pm

Rusty Claymore-
As Jaden has said, tutorials are helpful. Familiarity with the program's interface is the first big step. Once you feel confident it just takes practice :P
Extrusion modeling is a good technique to start with (actually that's all I use right now).

RidleyofZebes-
Blender is awesome!!!
You will beat yourself up over the counterintuitive interface for a good while, but after that it makes perfect sense.
It has a lot of powerful features, unfortunately I'm too lazy to do much past basic stuff. Getting a background reference image set to use for extrusion modeling works pretty well. Then it's on to the texture mapping and animation.
Valkaiser

Return to Tutorials