Flash animation help?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Flash animation help?

Postby Sparx00 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:19 pm

Okay, so I would like to learn how to do Flash animation. (For example, flash cartoons like on newgrounds) Does anybody know where I can learn how to do something like that? Any tips and info are welcome.
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Riggidig » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:43 am

Well, I worked with it for 5 years straight myself, but haven't touched it in 5 years :lol: I know Flash itself has to nice tutorials built into it, as well as some nice online tutorials. Give me a holler and I'll see if the old noggin' still remembers anything.
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby Cap'n Nick » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:43 am

I had to get up to speed for a web site last year and did a lot of digging for materials. The internet had a lot to offer, but most of it was seriously lacking in depth. It took a textbook or two to really give me what I was after. I found some good ones at the library, but your best bet is to head down to the bookstore and flip through a few to make sure you're getting what you really need.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:38 am

Well, don't start out with huge expectations of grand epic animations. It really does take a bit to get into. I know the Super Flash Bros. have a few basic tutorials on their website. You might also want to find what you are most comfortable with, frame by frame or using symbols and tweening. Frame by frame takes longer and can be shaky, but if you get really good it makes some great animation. (When I get access to a computer I can link to an FbF I did a while back, my first one.) Symbols require making different shapes and tweening those (Letting the computer take care of a lot of the animation.). The effect is decent if you do it right. Then there's ActionScript. It's programming, not entirely necessary unless you want nice menus or special effects and whatnot.
I don't know of any place to get a lot of tutorials, I took a tech course in school and they covered Flash a bit. But finding some basic stuff to build your knowledge, then going off and playing with it on your own is how I'd go about doing it. Whatever you feel is the best way.
Ante Bellum

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:39 pm

Most of what I learned in the time I've spent with flash was either self-taught through experimentation (or from prior knowledge of Javascript, which is very similar to actionscript) or was something I got from a tutorial on DeviantArt. I'm not sure how great of tutorials you'll find over at DA, but I was almost always able to find something to cover what I needed (which, admittedly, was usually pretty basic stuff).
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Sparx00 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:01 pm

Okay, what program(s) would you guys recommend?
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:32 pm

Well... Adobe Flash really is the thing for doing animation like on new grounds. Photoshop and Aftereffects can also be used but have different effects, and there may be some other proprietary programs such as ToonBoom that can be used as well.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Riggidig » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:08 am

I agree. Adobe Flash is my primary recommendation. Nothing else really comes close to it.
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:49 am

Flash. I tried using PS before and it's kind of a pain. And I couldn't even get AE to work. XD
Ante Bellum

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:49 pm

Just don't try to create Rome in a day.... you'll burn yourself out and never touch flash again. :P
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Return to Tutorials