help finding the fruit of the spirit in Japanese

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

help finding the fruit of the spirit in Japanese

Postby firestorm » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:05 pm

hey guys long time no see just wondering if you could help me.

you see I'm making a sword stand for these 2 katanas that I have and I wanted to have the Fruit of the Spirit in Japanese in the front. I think I can find love but I need help finding the rest. please also note my computer can't display asian languages. (xp trial version only for now til we finish fixing it. :( ) so any pictures of the symbols would be wonderful.
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:52 pm

According to my Japan Bible Society translation, these words as used in Gal. 5:22 are "Mitama no Mi".

How to write this is the problem. I don't know how to post this without using fonts. Here's some instructions for anyone who knows how to come up with a picture for you:

"Mitama" - I'm reading 'Mitama' from the furigana (little hiragana written next to the Kanji). I don't find this word in either of my Japanese dictionaries. It's written with two Kanji. The first is "GO" (the character used for the honorific "Go-" such as in words like Gokazoku ("your family".) The second is "REI" (meaning 'spirit') The kun reading of this "REI" is "tama', so that's the second two syllables, which means the 'mi' is somehow being indicated with "GO". I have no idea why this works.

"no" - is of course the hiragana character.

"Mi" - is written with the character "JITSU", which is used in kun reading as 'mi' for fruit.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby firestorm » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:38 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1333106) wrote:According to my Japan Bible Society translation, these words as used in Gal. 5:22 are "Mitama no Mi".

How to write this is the problem. I don't know how to post this without using fonts. Here's some instructions for anyone who knows how to come up with a picture for you:

"Mitama" - I'm reading 'Mitama' from the furigana (little hiragana written next to the Kanji). I don't find this word in either of my Japanese dictionaries. It's written with two Kanji. The first is "GO" (the character used for the honorific "Go-" such as in words like Gokazoku ("your family".) The second is "REI" (meaning 'spirit') The kun reading of this "REI" is "tama', so that's the second two syllables, which means the 'mi' is somehow being indicated with "GO". I have no idea why this works.

"no" - is of course the hiragana character.

"Mi" - is written with the character "JITSU", which is used in kun reading as 'mi' for fruit.

well not exactly what I meant. I mean what's the symbols for love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, those are the ones I'm looking for. Thanks for your help none the less ^-^. I really appreciate it ^-^!
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:05 pm

I looked up the verse to find the exact words they used, and here they are.

fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby firestorm » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:38 pm

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY! thank you thank you!

now i'm really happy ^-^ I just need to figure out the stroke order now cause I want to do it correctly ^-^.

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:25 am

Thanks for the backup, Shiroi. I didn't have a chance to pull my .jp Bible back out yesterday and get this.

By the way, how did you put together the image? Very handy.

Also, do you have the mystery word 'Mitama' in any dictionary? I'm very curious about what 'Mi' is this, and why is it getting written with that particular Kanji?

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:31 pm

I used Photoshop for the image. :]

As for "mitama", the "mitama" I found in my dictionary is this: 御霊 and it says it means "spirit of a deceased person".
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:25 am

Well, that's indeed GO + REI, the kanji that's in my Japan Bible Society translation for 'Spirit' (in the context of Gal.5:22). Apparently they are using a different meaning here. Otherwise, that's a pretty strange rendering of 'Fruit of the Spirit.'

The kun reading for the first is apparently 'mi', but in my kanji guide it only gives 'on'. I guess I will need to pencil 'mi' in.

Thanks.

EricTheFred

Return to Tutorials