Chem hmwrk

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Chem hmwrk

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:09 pm

I'm just in a simple high school Chem 30-1 class, so yeah. The semester just started, but I'm having trouble with the beginning concepts already.
I've read the stuff, done the work, but it just. doesn't. click.

I'm going in for help tommorow after school, but I'm wondering if anyone knows a good site or some simple explanation for:

ALKANES, ALKENES, AND ALKYNES.

I can't name them, I can't draw them (structurally, cyclo-ically, molecularly (word?)) and I really don't understand them.
It just goes "foosh".

Thanks.

B.

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby Doubleshadow » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:40 pm

xblack_x_rosesx (post: 1289107) wrote:I'm just in a simple high school Chem 30-1 class, so yeah. The semester just started, but I'm having trouble with the beginning concepts already.
I've read the stuff, done the work, but it just. doesn't. click.

I'm going in for help tommorow after school, but I'm wondering if anyone knows a good site or some simple explanation for:

ALKANES, ALKENES, AND ALKYNES.

I can't name them, I can't draw them (structurally, cyclo-ically, molecularly (word?)) and I really don't understand them.
It just goes "foosh".

Thanks.

B.

Quite simply, the name represents the number of bonds in carbons in the hydrocarbon.

An alkane has one bond between the carbons, an alkene has two, and the alkyne has three. This is all introductory organic, so any site along those lines should help.

chemhelper.com has a tutorial section that might benefit you.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Return to Tutorials