Help with Biology

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Help with Biology

Postby ST. Attidude » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:47 pm

Honestly, this subject is not my strong suit...

But I have been learning better than I thought I would, so there's a plus. :)

Anyways, my question is focused specifically on diffusion:

Now I know that bigger and heavier particles can negatively affect the rate of diffusion, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why gasses would diffuse faster than liquids or solids.

If you are into science, could you possibly help me plz?
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:35 pm

Taking this from the standing point that diffusion is in the sense of molecules being distributed over an area.

The way a materiel is bonded together affects its rate of diffusion.

Less bonds to deal with allow for more rapid spreading of the materiel.

Take water as an example.

As ice it cannot diffuse at all due to being bonded together as a solid through the process of freezing, forming a static crystalline structure.

As a liquid, it can move but is still bonded in large groups, allowing it to stretch only as much as the bonds allow, and its mass makes it beholden to gravity, preventing any movement in opposition to the gravitational pull.

As a gas the bonds are non-existent or very weak, allowing less massive groups of molecules and much faster diffusion through an area.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ST. Attidude » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:27 am

I know this is a little late, but thanks for the help Mech! :lol::)
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby 12praiseGOD » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:46 pm

Hey if you need simple language for the basics...we median factors of biology, you can find an online book at http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/BIOBK/BioBookTOC.html
[color="Red"]If GOD brings you to it, He will bring you through it.- unknown.[SIZE="3"][color="Magenta"][color="Red"][/color][/color][/SIZE]:angel:[/color]

[color="Lime"][color="Lime"]"GOD isn't sitting far away with a magnifying glass, but HE is an ever present GOD" -unknown :thumb:

-meaning he is with us all the time.[/color][/color]

[color="Magenta"]"If you don't trust your wings, you'll be caught in the mountain."-myself:angel:

meaning- "If you don't trust GOD, you'll be caught in the problem."- myself[/color]

[color="Red"]@)}[/color][color="YellowGreen"]-'-,[/color]

[color="Red"]"The farthest distance between a problem and a solution, is the distance between your knees and the floor."- unknown.[/color]
12praiseGOD

Return to Tutorials