Learning to read Korean

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Learning to read Korean

Postby Sheenar » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:26 pm

Hey guys,
I've been trying to learn how to read (mostly trying to learn how to speak) Korean for a while.
Today I received a Korean to English dictionary that one of the students left here when she went back to Korea and was told I could keep it. I was thumbing through it and I wish I could read Korean. I can read the English definitions of the words, but not the Korean lettering/symbols.

I know people around here probably have more experience with Japanese, but I'm wondering if anyone can teach me the basics of how to read Korean? I really have a strong desire to learn and I am willing to practice.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:06 am

The Korean alphabet is actually one of the easiest to learn of all the alphabets; it is nowhere near as complicated as hiragana/katakana/kanji. Words sound as they are spelled.

I was able to teach myself hangul (the alphabet) within a matter of weeks; my college-age son learned it in five days. There are a few websites that will walk you through -- I suggest trying this one:

http://www.langintro.com/kintro/first.htm

If you have any questions, please ask!
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:51 am

My friend was showing me Japanese... HOOOOOOLY CRAP it's annoying.

Korean is fairly easy compared to Japanese. I can help you out a bit. =)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Sheenar » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:32 pm

Thank you, you guys...I'll try that website and see if I can make sense of it.
It might be a bit before I can get to it though ..my American Sign Language class is starting to get crazy -so I need to practice that first so I don't get too far behind (my professor is deaf and sometimes he signs too quickly or I just plain have no idea what he's saying).
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Return to Tutorials