Cell Phone Help

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Cell Phone Help

Postby RidleyofZebes » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Okay, I just got a Cell Phone (Duh). I have never had a Cell Phone before, and when I purchased it, I honestly thought that it was what I was looking for. Well, after I get it activated and stuff, I go in to see what all this baby can do.
The answer? Nothing. Close. To what. I. Was thinking! :mutter:
Anyway, I now need to know a few things about cell phones. Is it possible to get a different one? Like, a Razor? You know, just swap the SIM card out?
I'm on a Pay-As-You-Go plan, and I'm also wondering if I can transfer that plan and all stuff applicable to the next phone I get. (And I WILL get another.)
It's a go phone, BTW.

My apologies for how unorganized the above is, but I really have no clue. Help?:?:
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby Kaligraphic » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:51 pm

Gophone would be AT&T, so you can move the number with your SIM card. Whatever phone you buy to switch to, though, would be at full retail, compared to the subsidized "with plan" cost that they advertise for those signing up with postpaid service.

What exactly are you looking to do with your phone, and what model did you get?

(I used to work for a cell phone company, so I've got a decent knowledge of what handsets are out there. Maybe I can help you find what you're looking for.)
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby RidleyofZebes » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:32 am

hmmm... according to the thing in the battery compartment, the model no. is SGH-A117. One of those Samsung deals. Anyway, yeah, I'm gonna be getting a Razor. Those things are awesome.

I got to talk with one of my co-workers last night, and he confirmed most of what you just told me. Thanks, Kaligraphic. :) I'll update when I get this mess straightened out. :thumb:
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RidleyofZebes

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:10 am

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]The beauty with SIM card phones is that you can swap SIM's between phones with no problems. The only thing is, you can only swap with like-carrier phones. Meaning you can only put your SIM card in other AT&T/Cingular cell phones. If you put your SIM card in a T-Mobile phone, it'll ask you for a subsidy unlock code, which you can ONLY get from the carrier of the phone.

Kaligraphic is right--you'll have to buy a phone like the Razr at full retail price, but prepaid phones (the ones in the packages) are cheaper [in both make and price]. Now, if you can find a Razr somewhere that was used with AT&T/Cingular or is "unlocked" (no carrier programming--can be used with ANY carrier) then that can work.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby RidleyofZebes » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:59 pm

O.O Oh dear... I didn't know that.

Well, is there any kind of good phone that I can get that's AT&T compatible out-of-the-box? Like, anything that comes close to a razor? The one I have right now is a bare bones model. Just about anything would be an upgrade. @_@
[/color]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RidleyofZebes

Postby bakura_fan » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:29 pm

...razors....=_= they look so cool...but there's something...odd about them. My husband and I have razors. Our batteries randomly don't charge...then the next thing they do. some of my mother in laws friends have razors too and have similar problems. Also, ours have switched our ringtones, sound volume, and alarms from what we want. O_o it;s like they're possessed or something. >_> *glances at her razor staring back at her* I guess you could call them tempermental. also, I don't know if it's just here...but service *just the people with razors mind you* sucks..big time. sometimes we won't even get phone calls even though we'll get the voicemails. just...weird. =_=;;; so...yeah...if you can switch...find something else...
:angel:

[color=DeepSkyBlue] "He lives in you. He lives in me. [/color]He watches over everything we see.
Into the water. Into the truth. [color=Yellow][color=DeepSkyBlue]In your reflection, He lives in you." - He lives in you chorus[/color][/color]
"Slow, love, slow. Time's so fast. Now goes quickly, see Now it's past!
Soon will come, Soon will last. Wait." [color=Yellow]- Wait (sweeney todd) [/color]

[align=center]My art page.

[align=center]Married to swordguy
:hug:

[/align]
[/align]
bakura_fan

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:06 am

When my iPhone got bricked (it didn't take one of the upgrades), I took it in to the apple store, and they just swapped out the sim card and sent me on my way. I had to re-enter all of my data, though.

If you've programmed a bunch of stuff into your phone, that stuff might not carry over. If you have the option to store your phone numbers, etc on the SIM card, you might want to do that - so that they'll copy over when you move your card.
Mithrandir

Postby Kaligraphic » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Yeah, I recommend in general storing any important numbers on the SIM card, not on the phone. It's one of the better aspects of the GSM platform that you can do that.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Return to Tutorials