Quick (very basic) Dreamweaver question.

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Quick (very basic) Dreamweaver question.

Postby Godly Paladin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:02 am

This is what I've got so far for my site: http://captivesilence.freehostia.com/home.html

But I'm having a problem. For one thing, is it possible to make the text box edges flush with the edges of the pictures? But I just realized that if you view the site at different resolutions, you'll end up with different picture sizes.

Anyway, I'm pretty new to this setup so any help is appreciated.
Godly Paladin

Postby Kaligraphic » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:37 am

What do you mean? You want the text to have the same edges as the images? Just take out one of the blockquote elements (you don't really need to nest them anyway), and set the margin on the remaining one to 0px.

I'd recommend studying the CSS Specification to understand how to do that and fancier. It's worth knowing for anybody who wants to create web pages, even in a tool like Dreamweaver.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Godly Paladin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:45 am

Yeah, I removed the blockquote/indents because they weren't helping. To be a bit clearer, I want the text to begin at the left side of the pictures and end at the right side of the pictures. (much like this: http://www.sega-16.com/)
Godly Paladin

Postby Kaligraphic » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:54 am

First, make the images narrower. Even if you're assuming at least 1024x768 resolution, you have to remember the chrome/scrollbars and the possibility of a somewhat smaller viewport. Once you've done that, put in a div with an explicit width matching the image elements. The reason the paragraphs are narrower is that they size to fit their container, which is currently the body element.

Of course, having to scroll for every single line of text is extremely annoying, so you'll want to make sure that you don't make the page too wide. Take it down by a good 50-100px. Maybe even bring them down to, say, 800 or so. The site you linked looks about 800px wide, but has a bit of margin around the content, so it feels more like, say, 760px or so.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Godly Paladin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Whew - okay, I think I follow you and I'll try that out. Thanks.
Godly Paladin

Postby Kaligraphic » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:03 pm

It's just (div style="width: 900;") or whatever width at the very beginning, and another (/div) at the end.
Kaligraphic

Postby Godly Paladin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:17 pm

EDIT: Right on, I got it! Thanks, Kaligraphic!
Godly Paladin

Postby Godly Paladin » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:53 am

Fixed
Godly Paladin

Return to Tutorials