Japanese Dictionary

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Japanese Dictionary

Postby MyrrhLynn » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:17 am

So my sister is studying Japanese in school and she wants a Japanese/English dictionary for Christmas. The problem is I have no idea which ones are better then others. Does anyone have a favorite, or one they would recommend? I'm actually suprised she hasn't had to buy one for class already, so I think she's looking for something pretty thick and full of lots of good information. I tried looking through some of the older threads but the info was so random and scattered related to dictionaries that I gave up.

BTW I'm looking for a paper dictionary here, not electronic version. (I don't give THAt nice of Christmas presents. :lol: )

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Ashley » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:38 am

My boyfriend uses the Oxford Japanese Dictionary, and I think he\'s pretty satisfied with it. I\'ve flipped through it a few times and it seems pretty good, but you do have to be pretty good with your kana (although, if she\'s actually taking the class I don\'t see why that would be a problem).

I know this isn\'t a dictionary, but another book I\'ve seen recommended to those studying Japanese is \"Breaking Into Japanese Literature.\" Basically it\'s some short stories/myths translated on one side and in the original Japanese on the other. Dunno if that will help, but maybe?
Ashley

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:55 pm

I hate my Random House Webster's, which is missing tons of words (my most recent discovery is on the English-to-Japanese side, where it had entries for five days of the week, but lacked Saturday and Thursday IIRC). It's a Romanji-based dictionary, though, which is useful if your Kana sucks like mine does and you're trying to understand something from spoken Japanese. I would like to get opinions on the Kodansha versus the Oxford, the two Kana-based dictionaries I've been considering trading up to.

I have a super-old Kanji dictionary from Kodansha (fifties vintage!) that I found in a used book store. It is fantastic, but there's no guarantee the company is keeping up the same quality a half-century later.

A recommendation though. The book "All About Particles" is a very context specific 'dictionary', a guide on one of the most troublesome parts of the language for English speakers. I strongly recommend it even to relatively advanced Japanese-as-a-second-language speakers.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby ilikegir33 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:04 pm

Get the Oxford dictionary.

Thanks EricTheFred. I'll look for All About Particles.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby MyrrhLynn » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:33 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I ended up getting her the Oxford dictionary as suggested, I think she'll be okay because she has decent kana skills (it's her 3rd semester of the language after all...)

And thank you VERY much to EricTheFred for the suggestion about the particle book. I had no clue if she needed it or not, but I bought it anyway since it was pretty cheap. She was SO happy when she unwrapped it on Christmas since, it turns out that is one of the areas she struggles with the most. So she was more excited about that book then the dictionary. ;)

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Aka-chan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:51 am

Great! Glad you found a good one. =D

When she gets into the crazy kanji, though, I've found Jim Breen's (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html) invaluable. You can search English, Japanese text, romanized Japanese, and kanji (by radicals, readings, meanings, etc.)--pretty much anything you'll need for modern Japanese. It even has a respectable amount of slang not found in regular dictionaries.
Aka-chan

Postby kat-su-chan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:33 pm

Hmm...this may be a little late but I have an electronic Japanese-English dictionary, an ex-word. I think it's Casio. Anyways, electronic is really the way to go for someone who is seriously studying the language, as they are amazing tools. However they can be costly...mine was around $500 but it also has a little pad you can write Kanji on and then the dictionary recognizes what you write. So it's pretty cool. Only problem is most electronic dictionaries are Japanese to English, so everything is in Japanese. If you don't know very much Japanese, or don't have someone who is teaching you Japanese or know someone who is either native or fluent in Japanese....it's kind of hard to get by and understand how to set it up and how everything works.
Anyways, hurray for Japanese!
kat-su-chan

Postby Aka-chan » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:53 am

kat-su-chan wrote:Hmm...this may be a little late but I have an electronic Japanese-English dictionary, an ex-word. I think it's Casio. Anyways, electronic is really the way to go for someone who is seriously studying the language, as they are amazing tools. However they can be costly...mine was around $500 but it also has a little pad you can write Kanji on and then the dictionary recognizes what you write. So it's pretty cool. Only problem is most electronic dictionaries are Japanese to English, so everything is in Japanese. If you don't know very much Japanese, or don't have someone who is teaching you Japanese or know someone who is either native or fluent in Japanese....it's kind of hard to get by and understand how to set it up and how everything works.
Anyways, hurray for Japanese!

A slightly cheaper alternative is to get the J-E/E-J dictionary "game" for the Nintendo DS. It's reasonably good quality (though pretty much just modern Japanese--if you want Meiji or older vocabulary, go with a good quality real electronic dictionary), and the bottom screen allows you to search kanji or even just words by writing with your stylus.

The catch: I have not found the game for sale outside of Japan. But DS games are region-free, so you don't have to buy a whole new DS if you get your hands on the game.
Aka-chan

Postby Kaligraphic » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:19 pm

I've seen a J-E/E-J dictionary game like that at a local game store. Just look for a place that stocks imports.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby kat-su-chan » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:46 pm

Interesting, but not effective if you need to translate something ON THE SPOT! hahaha ;)
hm or if you don't have DS whatever younameit thingermadoo. ^^
Psalm 139
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
kat-su-chan

Postby Aka-chan » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:39 pm

[quote="kat-su-chan (post: 1187974)"]Interesting, but not effective if you need to translate something ON THE SPOT! hahaha ]
Except...that the DS and game are just as portable (if not moreso) than an electronic dictionary or a book. So I don't see what you're saying...

Granted, having it all in your head is the most portable...
Aka-chan

Postby AsianBlossom » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:45 am

A J-E E-J Nintendo DS game? O.O

Must...find...
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:48 am

[quote="MyrrhLynn (post: 1186625)"]And thank you VERY much to EricTheFred for the suggestion about the particle book. I had no clue if she needed it or not, but I bought it anyway since it was pretty cheap. She was SO happy when she unwrapped it on Christmas since, it turns out that is one of the areas she struggles with the most. So she was more excited about that book then the dictionary. ]

You're welcome. I've found this book wonderfully useful, especially when trying to read dialog (where things are often not 'correct grammar') It's good to have a way to understand more about the various different ways particles can be applied.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Return to Tutorials