How to make graphics

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

How to make graphics

Postby Knives » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:03 am

How do you make graphics? what is the simplest and cheapest program to make them with.ETC
Knives

Postby Danyasaur » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:36 am

ummmm, I heard GIMP is pretty good, if you want real simple graphics then I'd sugest Pixia, it's free *: D!!!!*, and it's good if you just want to make simple graphics, but that's about all it's good for. ^_^"
[color="DimGray"]I don't believe that I would die if I saw you face to face;
but that my spirit would become so alive it took my body's place.

- Danya[/color]
Danyasaur

Postby inkhana » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:07 pm

Well, the thing here is, what kind of graphics do you want to make? Web page graphics? Clip art? CG art a la what I do? Each has its own special technique and tools that are best suited to it. In any case, I recommend Photoshop, and I've heard PaintShopPro is nice also, but I've never used it. I tried Pixia, and to save my life I can't remember if I liked it or not! he he I tried GIMP also, and I can't remember much about it except...toolbars...odd. *reboots memory*

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Danyasaur » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:19 pm

Paint Shop Pro is awesome! I just got it for christmas! I think it was somwhere around $80.00 for the latest version but the older version was only $60.00 *at BestBuy (: D!!!!)*
[color="DimGray"]I don't believe that I would die if I saw you face to face;
but that my spirit would become so alive it took my body's place.

- Danya[/color]
Danyasaur

Postby madphilb » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:54 pm

Paint Shop Pro is very powerful.... I think they have a few features in the new version that hasn't made it to the GIMP yet...

I go with GIMP cuz it's free (I'm cheap that way)... then again if my situation was different I might go with the other two biggies (PSP or PS).

The trick with the GIMP is to be persistant till you get a hang of the layout and such. Many of the tutorials for doing things on PSP or PS can be applied to GIMP once you have a feel for it. If you have a pretty big local library you might be able to find a GIMP book there (The Largo, FL library that I used to use had 2 or 3 GIMP books on the shelf, if you can believe that). And as I've offered before, feel free to drop me a line with questions if you decide to use it, I might just be able to help you.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:06 pm

You can go to [url]http://
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Twilly Spree » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:47 am

Photoshop is amazing but it's neither simple or cheap.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Inferno » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:40 pm

Well this is Zen. I dunn o about making graphics because im a friggin idiot
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby inkhana » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:53 pm

Two points: somehow I doubt it (I don't think anyone is too stupid to learn computer graphics), and:

2. Why did you post here if you feel that way?

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby kirakira » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:28 pm

*raises hand* What's GIMP?
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby andyroo » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:29 pm

GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a free image editor that allows you do many of the things possible in PhotoShop. You can get the GIMP at http://www.gimp.org and....
The windows port @ http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:18 pm

the gimp hated me and wouldn't let me edit my old pictures.... I couldnt upload them

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby kirakira » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:23 pm

Thankyou, Andyroo! *wow, it rhymes^^*
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby madphilb » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:08 pm

mechana (and anyone else).... feel free to e-mail/PM me if you want... GIMP is my only paint program, and I've found it works great... hate to say it, but your problems sound more like operator error than a problem with the software.

GIMP works a litte differently than most Windows programs, since it's not a Windows program (but a port of a Linus one).
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby andyroo » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:25 pm

kirakira wrote:Thankyou, Andyroo! *wow, it rhymes^^*
Lol. You're Welcome! ^_^

GIMP is the only image editor I use, the only one I can afford...

madphilb wrote:hate to say it, but your problems sound more like operator error than a problem with the software.
I wonder if it was when he was trying to get through the folders and drives. If you've used the DOS 'edit' program and opened files with it, then you'll pretty much know how to use the 'open' and 'save as' dialog box.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Return to Tutorials