what is an avatar and do i need one?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

what is an avatar and do i need one?

Postby ice122985 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:31 pm

i' sorry for being ignorant, but i don't know what an avatar is. How do i get one? and how do i get a picture on the side of my posts? thanks for helping me.
ice122985

Postby inkhana » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:46 pm

An avatar is the pic on the side of your posts. Best thing to do is get one from a site (there are a number of them; I think daydreamgraphics.com has some nice ones). Pick a nice one, save it to your comp, go to the User CP, and then go to the avatar settings. You'll have the option to upload it from your drive.

As far as whether you need one or not, it would be cool...:) But it's not necessary.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

thanks

Postby ice122985 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:51 pm

thanks. you were very helpful. God bless
ice122985

Postby inkhana » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:37 pm

That's a nice av...:) Who is it?

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:40 pm

I have an interesting story about this. If my memory serves me correctly: Years ago, when my mom and sister were the first ones to discover the internet and this thing called "chat rooms", they also came across this thing called an "avatar". When I asked what it was, they mentioned something about mugs. So I thought for a while that an avatar was an electronic beverage holder. (Don't ask me where I get these ideas from... ^_^; )
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby inkhana » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:48 pm

:lol: That sounds like something I would think, MM! ^^

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:01 pm

Grrr...Why don't they call it an "Icon" ?!?!?!
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby andyroo » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:18 pm

Heh. Here's the definition and orignin of avatar.

:avatar: /n./ Syn. 1. Among people working on virtual reality
and {cyberspace} interfaces, an "avatar" is an icon or
representation of a user in a shared virtual reality. The term is
sometimes used on {MUD}s. 2. [CMU, Tektronix] {root},
{superuser}. There are quite a few Unix machines on which the
name of the superuser account is `avatar' rather than `root'.
This quirk was originated by a CMU hacker who disliked the term
`superuser', and was propagated through an ex-CMU hacker at
Tektronix. ~Jargon File 4.0.0

The word is apparently now used on message boards too. I just looked it up on Dictionary.com and they have the definition from Jargon File 4.2.0, a bit more up to date than what I have.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby madphilb » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:06 am

Meh he he he..... I just looked up Avatar in a regular dictionary, in fact, it's my "little blue dictionary" I've kept by my computer for years (Webster's New World, revised 1983).

Avatar n - Hinduism a god's coming to earth in bodily form.

Which kinda makes sense when you look at it in a Tronish sort of way.

Originally I remember the term being used in adventure games and such, the character you control was your avatar. Fitting with the above defintion it was your physical embodiment in that world.

I think the first use of avatars was chat rooms, again, a similar ideo.

I believe at this point that the term most closely defines our visual representation on online communities (such as these forums).
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:58 pm

OOOooo Another Matri
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Return to Tutorials