layout

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

layout

Postby redkorn » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:54 pm

redkorn

Postby madphilb » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:37 am

Dude.... what systems have you tested this on? Looks like some serious coding issues with the page (lots of complaints by the PHP script about "file not found").

Also, the header section (the splash banner and the "news" box in the left) are almost doubled up (with the news running into the top of the 2nd box)....

The news/contents box at the bottom half of the page is one of the locations of a missing file (check the file listed on line 238 of the PHP script, the text file there it can't find, typo maybe?) After looking at a few other pages my guess is that the idea is the text in that box is "included" by the PHP script, and those text files aren't made yet. I would recommend if you're going to have the site up before they're finished to made "under construction" dummies to fill in those spaces till you finish them. It looks more professional.

The very bottom of the right-hand "navigation" column has a "Not Found" error in it.

Overall the style looks fine but.... here's a few things I'd change or don't understand:

1) The background image for the navigation bar... the dark blue on the side is a little too dark in my opinion... you can still read the black text, but it would be a bit better a bit lighter (not much).

2) the scrolling button bar from heck! My guess is that as time goes on these will be populated by other sites buttons (rather than just the two used over-and-ver).... however I'm not sure what you where after with the "highligting" of the buttons (though it looks kida neat, it's a waste of resources without using the same technique elsewhere on the site - i.e. the navigation menu) A grid of button spaces (phantom box outlines for empty buttons) and just one of each of the existing buttons would work just as fine I think.

3) I'd leave the browser navigation tab off the page completely.... I've never been a fan of "Back" buttons on pages that Javascript their way back, and I've already got those buttons on my toolbar as most people do. It also looks a bit out of place, but that could be due to the double-image of the splash banner.

Note.... on your free banner and splash pages, as well as the layouts for sale, the images are being replaced by your ISP (or so I'm guessing) by a "Click Here Now" GIF file.

Also, your Movie Clips page has a link to click on, which pops up a window, the file opens a TXT file, but it doesn't render as an HTML for whatever reason, my guess is you'll need to change this one to an HTML file instead of using the TXT file.

ON the Staff page there is a "plug-in" at the bottom of the page (an embeded bit)... Netscape's Plugin finder wasn't able to find a plugin for this, whatever it is there may be a limit to who can access it. If it's a WMF file or something you would be better off linking to it I think instead of inserting it in the document itself.

I think that's most of it.

I'm running Windows 98se with Firebird (and Sun's lates Java VM) at 800x600 resolution.

Let me know if you want some screen-captures of the problem spots on the pages.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby redkorn » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:21 pm

well seeing im just talking about the layout really nothing none of the content is up, im trying to set up newspro soon and down at the bottom of the nav bar thats where a tag board goes but it not set up yet.
redkorn

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:40 pm

I love the site. I visited the Ga
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Twilly Spree » Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:05 pm

Augh! Kill the gradients! Augh! Sorry I hate gradients, just a weird thing with me.

But it's not terrible, excuse me really I'm a nasty graphic design student. But it's not bad. I would maybe drop the nagivation bar below the banner at the top there. Give yourself some negative space in the navigation bar as well, let it breathe. Also I don't the the specific fonts here, but the navigation bar appears to have a different one than the other headings on the banner and the news section. Maybe keep them all consistent and use size to give them so hierarchy. Now that I mention that establish a hierchary on the page, the navigation and the center news area are kind of competing decide which you want them to look at first. Okay that's all until I see more. Sorry if I seem to critical, its inbreed into me.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Return to Tutorials