Graphic Design? Count me in!

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Graphic Design? Count me in!

Postby Towi Wakka » Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:12 am

Yeah! I've been waiting for such a forum. I'm actually thinking of going to college for GFX Design. Can anyone give me some feedback?
:pinned: :pinned: :pinned:
"Don't be greedy and you will always win." ~ Me playing Mario Party

If you have the time please visit my site: http://www.freewebs.com/lunursoft
OR
If you are an artist please check out my deviant art page: http://towiwakka.deviantart.com/
Towi Wakka

Postby redkorn » Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:55 am

practice
redkorn

Postby inkhana » Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:50 am

Might be a touch more helpful if you elaborated, redkorn. Practice what?

Towi, did you have something specific you wanted us to critique?

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Retten » Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:23 pm

Graphic design is pretty cool :thumb: its a really tuff market right now though lots of competition :dizzy:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby redkorn » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:57 pm

if you arent good at gfx already just give up, im seroius.
redkorn

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:16 pm

umm redkorn... Towis only 17... thats a little too early to give up on a career...my drawing skills increased exponentially during that time (17-19). Graphic designers dont age out at 21 like olympic ice skaters do, so whats the rush to get all learned up at such an early age?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby inkhana » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:43 pm

Agreed...I still learn things every day. And redkorn, seriously. You should be more encouraging instead of knocking people down like that. Just because someone doesn't know as much as you do or isn't as immediately gifted as you are doesn't mean they have no potential.

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby redkorn » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:18 pm

dude i suck at gfx big time, i know alot of ppl that make my gfx look like its made from ms paint, im just saying the truth there is alot alot alot of really good people out there that you have no chance to get at their level, ive been trying for years.
redkorn

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:22 pm

Whether or not you think it's futile, that's no reason for being discouraging, and many artistic talents *do* improve with training.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Fsiphskilm » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:03 pm

In a way I can see what Redh
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby inkhana » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:31 pm

redkorn wrote:dude i suck at gfx big time, i know alot of ppl that make my gfx look like its made from ms paint, im just saying the truth there is alot alot alot of really good people out there that you have no chance to get at their level, ive been trying for years.

So you're saying, without having seen any of his work, that he doesn't have a chance? If this isn't what you're saying, you need to find a way of clarifying your statements as they seem to have the quality of being highly ambiguous. Assuming otherwise, saying that they have "no chance" is one of the biggest knockdowns you can give a person...and how can you POSSIBLY know what God has in store for someone? So please do not say things like that anymore.

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby madphilb » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:05 am

I've spent some time with POVRay, doing raytracings.... I've impressed quite a few of my non-techy friends (and even some of the techy ones). I'd then look at H.E. Day's stuff... the kid made anything I did look like a kid with crayons compared to any of the renesanse artists.

There will always be someone much, much better at what you do.... even those on the top of their game have to keep at it or "fall behind."

Should I have stopped working with POVRay because someone else did stuff that I'd almost never have a chance at comming close to?

Of Course Not. Part of what I needed to do to get to that level is work at it, and even then I might not be cut out for it professionally, it has still been a fun hobby (though I havve put it aside for a while).

I could take the same attitude about programming. I'm still planning on going to school and eventually getting a job as a programmer (hopefully, eventually, doing some game programming, even if it's just for my own pleasure and anyone elses who cares to play along). At 34 I could look at my life as being 1/3 over with (or less) and call it quits, give up hope that I can accomplish this.

Granted this would have been easier years ago when I still lived at home, when I had very little or no financial responsiblity.... but there is no changing what was.... only doing what I can with what will be.

I've always like this quote:
[quote="Anna Pavlova, Russian Ballerina"]"No one can arrive from being talented alone.
God gives talent]
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:59 am

I LOVE that quote, and I agr
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:32 am

Oh, and Redkorn... I'm a Graphic Design Major.

To everyone else:
I switched my major from mechanical engineering to graphic design. The reason? My skills at math wern't all that great. I could do some of it but it took so long to reasonably learn the math required for the basics of the profession that I was looking at several extra years of school. Somewhere around 5 if I wanted decent grades in each math class and really learn it well... I just wasn't interested in the field that much. You know the quote 'do what you love'? I loved the CAD graphics and drawing on my computer and by hand. So I switched. I havn't started on the core courses for GD, but it already matches my interests much more, seeing as I love drawing, design, painting, illustrating and ad design and whatnot. Hey. I know that there are people that are better than me, and I respect them for that. If I can get somthing from their style I study them. If I know them... I ask them to teach me. If art is what you really like... hey go for it, and have fun with it. It dosn't matter how

:rant: P.S. Does anyone read my sig? <rant off>

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Twilly Spree » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:36 pm

I'm a double Graphic Design and Multimedia. But I think what redkorn there is trying to say is that some people are just naturally more artistic. One can learn the skills and all the rules of GD and still not be any good. So really as a person you need to seriously evaluate yourself. I'm not saying you suck or anything don't get me wrong. But it's really a question if you are artistically inclined? That doesn't mean you can draw well, one of my good friends is terrible drawer but is a great designer and sculptor. It's like how music or math comes really easy to some people. Does design and aesthics come naturally to you? Maybe you won't figure that out until you get to school. My suggestion if you're unsure, go to a University with a variety of majors. That way if you don't fit in GD you can find something else. But I do encourage you if you're heart is really in it to pursue it. I love the field and couldn't picture myself anywhere else.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Straylight » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:53 am

I thing GD skills are mainly about getting a "feel" for things. Once you have that, it all starts from there.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:11 am

Hey Redninja what school are you going to for graphic design?

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Twilly Spree » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:14 pm

All I can say mechana is that I'm in a small private univesity in the midwest. Not at an art school or anything. But I'm doing well and I love it so it's all good for me.

Hey straylight can you explain what you mean a little more maybe? Not trying to be rude, just curious is all.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:36 pm

OK just wondering.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby inkhana » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:42 pm

Red Ninja wrote:All I can say mechana is that I'm in a small private univesity in the midwest. Not at an art school or anything. But I'm doing well and I love it so it's all good for me.

Hey straylight can you explain what you mean a little more maybe? Not trying to be rude, just curious is all.

What I think he's saying is that once you know your tools and techniques, you are free to let your imagination roam. You aren't impaired by not knowing how to do things anymore. :)

Mechana, I like your sig...:thumb: It's very encouraging.

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Retten » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:43 pm

mechana2015 wrote:Oh, and Redkorn... I'm a Graphic Design Major.

To everyone else:
I switched my major from mechanical engineering to graphic design. The reason? My skills at math wern't all that great. I could do some of it but it took so long to reasonably learn the math required for the basics of the profession that I was looking at several extra years of school. Somewhere around 5 if I wanted decent grades in each math class and really learn it well... I just wasn't interested in the field that much. You know the quote 'do what you love'? I loved the CAD graphics and drawing on my computer and by hand. So I switched. I havn't started on the core courses for GD, but it already matches my interests much more, seeing as I love drawing, design, painting, illustrating and ad design and whatnot. Hey. I know that there are people that are better than me, and I respect them for that. If I can get somthing from their style I study them. If I know them... I ask them to teach me. If art is what you really like... hey go for it, and have fun with it. It dosn't matter how

:rant: P.S. Does anyone read my sig? <rant off>

Wow this message is so encouraging for me thanks for posting it. I was so ment to read this I'm stuck in the same delima that you were I wanted to be an Aerospace engineer so I could design some spacecraft and work at NASA. My dream job! but the math gets me. I mean I can learn it alright but like you it takes to much time and if I wanted to go at a fast/regular pace I wouldn't be doing all that great :shady: But I still love designing things, drawing, and digital art so its really encouraging to me to see that you can make it work out. I have been looking at the graphics design field but im just not sure exactly all that it entails. (I have been looking at illustrator, comic and or manga artist, and Concept Artist as well ) :dizzy:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:07 am

Hmmm... you said illustrator,manga artist, and concept artist? Sounds familiar!
In some cases illustrator is a job related to graphic design, and I'm working on that skill. I am working on a manga as well. Concept designers are a little different, so check out the requirements (you may need to go to a design school for that major), but have fun doing all that stuff, I know I do.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Towi Wakka » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:10 pm

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. Maybe GFX Design isn't for me but that is the direction I am heading in. I would rather not making much money and being in a competitive market than starting a profession I don't enjoy. Besides, I still have a year untill college! :)
:pinned: :pinned: :pinned:
"Don't be greedy and you will always win." ~ Me playing Mario Party

If you have the time please visit my site: http://www.freewebs.com/lunursoft
OR
If you are an artist please check out my deviant art page: http://towiwakka.deviantart.com/
Towi Wakka

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:36 pm

Ahh I see now. Yes It's kno
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

hey

Postby Yuna-Tairyl Kc » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:17 am

sorry I'm a beginner at this cool forum,
but now I'm jelous, all of you guys are fantastic artists and its taken me ages to get this far and i still have problems with drawing figures,
but i an't gave up ;)
Image Image Image

As the cherry bloosom open's my heart grow's for you,
As the rose petal drop's I fall for you.

many people will walk in and out of your life, but it's true friends that will leave the foot prints behind....
Yuna-Tairyl Kc

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:04 pm

UUUUhhh ->NO<-
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Twilly Spree » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:29 am

Ha...drawing!?! No just graphic design, I'm not much at the drawing.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Return to Tutorials