Manga Backdrops

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Manga Backdrops

Postby Mononoke » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:12 pm

Hey im doing a manga project with another guy and im the main artist, im slowly getting the hang of drawing anime characters and getting better at it, but I have no idea on how to do backgrounds for panels etc., I know they are different artistic wise... any suggestions or known-tutorials you could stear me in would be great, thanks :)
Mononoke

Postby Photosoph » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:25 pm

I'm not too sure about the backdrops. I know that I've seen some brushes for photoshop that, when used at their set (large) size, create anime-style backgrounds such as rooms, streets, etc. I also found a tutorial on how to create backgrounds out of real photos.
As for 'manga screen tones', if you search or ask a few of the manga-drawing people here on CAA, you might be able to find a few sites where you can get free manga tones for your pictures. There are also tutorials out there on how to make manga screen tones on your own, using programs like photoshop.

Using a photo and photoshop, you can change the brightness/contrast values of a picture, then apply a half-tone type affect to make it look more like a manga background.
Apart from that... there are quite a few tutorials out there, it's just finding the right ones for you.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby Mononoke » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:00 pm

Do you have any tutorials you could reccomend? Ive tried searching for backdrop tuts. on deviantart but failed. thanks for the info :)
Mononoke

Postby Esoteric » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:12 pm

By backdrops, do you mean backgrounds in general...like buildings and trees? If so, you might want to start by studying 3D perspective. There are some basic concepts like horizon lines and fore-shortening which are very good to understand. As for a tutorials, I don't know of any, however you might try looking for an art book about drawing in perspective.
Esoteric

Postby Mononoke » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:08 pm

yae by backdrops I mean like backgrounds for each panel in the manga, so say a background for "in school classroom- setting" or "outside on a walk, setting...etc.
Mononoke

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:33 pm

Unfortunately for the purpose of this thread, I usually just draw my own. I Generally try to find some references, in photographic form usually, then work from there using perspective and whatnot to develop the area, and usually for major areas I try to do a few reference sketches so I have a good reference for specific enviromental elements.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Mononoke » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:34 pm

yea id rather draw my own as well, I guess ill just go by photos. thanks
Mononoke

Postby Mave » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:55 am

I mostly draw my own backgrounds. However, every now and then, I do used Manga University backgrounds (collections of free backgrounds). I have 3 editions and one day, I will scan and share them (it's free for distribution: stated inside).

If I'm stuck, I just google images and refer from photos online. :)
Mave

Postby Mononoke » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:11 pm

Manga University backgrounds? Is that a website or something? So its free meaning I could use it for a professional manga if I wanted to? Interesting...if not at least I can get some ideas. thanks :) so you will scan some in for me? If so tha'd be great! :)
Mononoke

Return to Tutorials