CAA Art School: March Session: Inking Tutorial

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

CAA Art School: March Session: Inking Tutorial

Postby taboo » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:24 pm

Hi! I'm taboo, and I'll be your instructor this evening. =3

Well, this is a session for the CAA art school over my particular brand of inking. There is an unlimited way to ink in a drawing, but today's lesson is over how to create a clean inked image out of lineart.

SO! If you have any questions, feel free to post them. If you use this tutorial to make a picture, feel free to post that as well. =p

The original thread if you have any questions: http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=39580
taboo

Postby soul alive » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:44 pm

Thanks taboo! Great tutorial. I love seeing your Naruto fanart, with your unique art style.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:25 pm

Great tutorial! I find the worst part for me is finding a good set of numbers for the brightness/contrast, so I'll have to try those two out next time I upload a lineart. XD Nice work!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Esoteric » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:25 pm

Yes, excellent. Very nice walkthrough! Looks like I'll have to get a Kaneda PVC figure though...that's the one thing I'm lacking. ;)
Esoteric

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:31 pm

OOHHH!! so that's how you ink so well :O

It never occured to me to over the lineart twice! le gasp
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:50 pm

SirArthur wrote:Nice work.

Something I discovered recently (almost exactly twenty-four hours ago, actually) is the wonderment of the Papermate marker pen. Doesn't bleed, dries fast, and is very versatile. I used to buy Sakura Microns, until every store in the state suddenly stopped selling them. Then I turned to Zig writers, which I still use to fill in large black areas (Sharpies are unruly).

I used a Zig micron for a while, but I decided I didn't like it. XD Maybe it was just the pen I chose that day, but the tip ended up splitting (and it's not like I was bearing down hard or anything, either), so I would end up getting this calligraphy-esque effect when I drew a line. Except...it didn't look like calligraphy, it looked like a scribble. XD I've found the Sakura mircons to be pretty reliable so far, though.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby taboo » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:42 pm

I cannot believe that our tutor was capable of producing such fine art with a G2. He is astonishingly good. Or I am just astonishingly lazy. Or both. It's just it is so hard not to smear things around with a gel pen.

Well, you have to worry about smearing in almost every aspect of traditional art, and markers are just one of the rare exceptions because it's ink dries quickly. It's a big obstacle when you come to nibs and the like. In the professional comics world, well in America, it's pretty expected that you work with nibs (in Japan, it's probably more of a preference).

I've only been working with a G2 for about 5 years now, and I just can't get the same quality with pens that work similar to markers. The way the gel ink absorbs into the paper is just different, and you don't have to worry about bleeding either. The trick to avoiding smearing is to work left > right, and wait about 5 minutes when you're finished before erasing pencil marks (even then, test a small sample of your art that you inked last to make sure).

Anyway, thanks! I'm glad I could help some people out.
taboo

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:49 pm

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/52775816/

This has been added to CA DA Thanks a bunch for the tutorial Taboo ^_^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Fiore teh Duck » Fri May 04, 2007 8:37 pm

You have no idea how helpful that was to me, considering Inking is the ONLY THING I CAN'T SEEM TO DO WITHOUT GETTING SO FRUSTRATED I CRY XD!

Anyway I also just realized that we have the exact same computer, and use the same brand of micron pens :O!
Fiore teh Duck

Return to Tutorials