[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Question regarding wallpaper pictures - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Question regarding wallpaper pictures

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Question regarding wallpaper pictures

Postby Aileen Kailum » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:14 pm

After a lot of searching through the other forums on this site, I've still been unable to find an answer to my question. So here it goes:

Let's say I want to make a wallpaper. Where do I find the pictures for it?

Any help will be appreciated. :)
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
Aileen Kailum

Postby Aoshi » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:19 pm

the easiest way i've found to get pics is through google. But i don't know if your parents have limitations on the content you can search for. Many pics aren't rated. It's not that they are bad pics, but no one takes the time to rate the pic before they put it online. So the pic has no rating.
I walk a lonely road.
Aoshi

Postby Aileen Kailum » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:56 pm

What about copyrights?
Need some excitement and meaning to brighten your bleak existence? Enter the CAA Monthly Manga contest!
(Warning: side affects may/will include irritability, the cramping of hands, frustration, and/or loss of sleep.)

Aileen Kailum

Postby Aoshi » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:30 am

Copyrights shouldn't have anything to do with you because you aren't trying to sell the wallpapers as your original works. Trademarks and copyrights exist to make sure that i don't draw a character from an already current anime or manga, and try to sell it as my own original creation. It's my original work, of an already exsiting creation. You don't have to worry about legal stuff if you are making a wallpaper. Well, unless you are saying you created the character from set anime.
I walk a lonely road.
Aoshi

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:13 am

I'm going to jump in with a bit 'o law here... Aoshi, that's not entirely accurate, although it's what most people think.

Technially, using a copyrighted image that you will turn around and only store on your computer likely qualifies as OK. In a court battle, it would be very difficult for anyone to chalange that you are earning recognition or money that would rightfully go to the copyright owner. As soon as you post it on the internet, though, it's technially broadcast to everyone, and therefore you need express written permission from the owner of the copyright.

That being said, the chances that the copyright owner would care are not that high. In fact, many are just as happy to see the wallpapers out there, as it means more people will learn about the work itself.

I think there is a common misconception that SELLING it makes it illegal. As I read the law, that's not the case. The copyright owner can sue you for DAMAGES, which usually means showing financial harm - but the copyright law seems to apply to more than that.

- IANAL, YMMV
Mithrandir

Postby MyrrhLynn » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:57 am

Correct, technically there are a lot of illegal wallpapers running around on the internet. :lol: I've never heard of anyone getting sued for making a wallpaper with an anime series though. Actually I don't even know of anyone selling a wallpaper as a print/T-shirt getting in trouble but I personally wouldn't risk it. From what I understand the whole fansub community is in much more danger of the copyright laws then a graphic maker.

As a general rule though, most artist try to still credit the original creators and/or companies who own the copyrights on the series when they make graphics. That's why you see lots of "Copyright: blah, blah blah and blah blah blah" at the bottom of wallpapers or on layouts made with anime images.

As for getting pics they are lots of good resources out there especially for wallpaper makers. Animepaper and Minitokyo are my favorites but as Aoshi mentioned the pics aren't censored in anyway, so you might see something you don't want to.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Aoshi » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:07 pm

ah thanks for clerifying that guys. There's been a lot of fuss about the general issue at katsucon and i thought it was illegal to sell only. But with that whole "Damages" thing, i can see how vauge that is and how someone could use it in court.

Basically, if you make the wallpaper, the safest way as per what the rest have said, is to just keep it for yourself. Although, also as the others have said, i highly doubt the creators will care.
I walk a lonely road.
Aoshi

Postby Aileen Kailum » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:24 pm

Okay. Thanks for the help everyone.

Aileen Kailum

Postby Ashley » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:52 am

Myrrh also has a huge selection of vectors, pngs, and scans at her site, Daystar Designs. ^^
Ashley

Postby KBMaster » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:02 am

Well, it would also depend on the series you would want to make a wallpaper of. There are a lot of fan galleries out there that are just waiting for wallers. The more general galleries(excluding google[in which you'll most likely have to swim through a sea of fan art and hentai pics)] aren't usually the best because they are focusing on ALL the animes , so there are usually very few pictures or a few good pictures and a ton of screenshots.

Oh, I've rambled, haven't I?
KBMaster

Postby MyrrhLynn » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:23 am

Ashley wrote:Myrrh also has a huge selection of vectors, pngs, and scans at her site, Daystar Designs. ^^

Well I actually don't have any scans up at the moment (although I'll be putting them back up soon).

However, I just remembered I have a list of good image sources on my site... I think it's on my links page. It basically lists everywhere I get my images from.

I still say Animepaper and Minitokyo are the best for high quality images, but you need "participation points" in order to download so you have to participate in the communities. Animepaper also has a good method of helping new wallers though (it's called Session Zero), that you might find helpful as you are just starting out.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Return to Tutorials