Help locating a leak

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Help locating a leak

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:18 pm

I have a piece of inflatable furniture that has a hole in it. Unfortunately, this hole is obviously very small, as it slowly deflates over the course of a couple of hours, it doesn't deflate quickly. Any attempts to locate this hole have ended in failure. Does anyone here have any tips or tricks to locate small holes in large inflatable objects? I'd appreciate it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Valkaiser » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:49 pm

Put it in a full bathtub, squeeze it, and look for bubbles?
Valkaiser

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:51 pm

Hmm...that's a pretty good idea. But uh...assuming I don't have a bathtub? ^^;;

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby goldenspines » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:11 pm

Going off of what Valkaiser said, you could also use a hose to wet it down and then search for air bubbles. If you don't have a hose nearby, go to somplace really quiet, squeeze the inflatable piece of furniture and listen carefully for a whizzing sound of air leaking.
Sorry, that's all I have to offer. Good luck on your search. ^^
goldenspines

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:13 pm

[quote="Nate"]Hmm...that's a pretty good idea. But uh...assuming I don't have a bathtub? ^^]
Bring it to my house. We can test it in my bathtub.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:33 pm

Or you could just put a few cups of water in it, then turn it over and over and over and look for leeks...
Mithrandir

Postby Esoteric » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:02 pm

Depending on how big this piece of furniture is, you can use the water submersion method (most effective), or the soapy water in a squirt bottle method (the hole will make bubbles under pressure). Or, if you're REALLY serious, you can get your hands on a sonic leak detector! Those things can detect the smallest of leaks just by sound...even when you can't hear it.
Esoteric

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:35 am

Mithrandir wrote:Or you could just put a few cups of water in it, then turn it over and over and over and look for leeks...

What if the hole was small enough to let air escape, but not water?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mr. Rogers » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:58 am

Hmmm...I've never heard that soapy water idea before. I would try that one.
Mr. Rogers

Postby SP1 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:25 am

Soap bubble testing is what most people use to find leaks. Mix up some dish soap (Joy, for example) with some water. If you want to go really high tech, you can add a bit of glycerin, since this gives the solution better cling (it doesn't run off as easy). Don't make it too thick or thin. You want this about the consistency of the stuff they sell for blowing bubbles with. Of course you COULD just but one of those kid's toys and use the solution. And if you have any leftovers, you can be a kid again and blow some bubbles.

I'd check any seams first, then the bottom (where it contacts the floor and maybe hit something), then the area where you sit (puntured by a pen or comb). I suspect a seam, however. The inflation valve might also leak, so check that, too. Most of these are going to be hard to fix. You might just pitch it.
"Those who believe will be saved...so they say. Get it?"
Sister Rosette Christopher

Sorry ladies, already married to HitomiYuriko , but it took both our efforts to come up with daughter Althaia

Please use the Haibane Renmei Lesson Plan

MOES: Can't scroll this.
SP1

Postby KBMaster » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:03 pm

My mom always had one of us squeeze on something inflatable(like the ring to our pool or a toy), while she listened for the high-pitched sound it makes, and then used a feather to locate the exact spot.
KBMaster

Postby Lochaber Axe » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:03 pm

Simple, all you gotta do is fill it with smoke and throw it into a complete vacuum. Trying to fix that hole in the vacuum is entirely optional though.
Lochaber Axe

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:17 am

Cover the thing in duct tape. You'll get the leak.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:02 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:Cover the thing in duct tape. You'll get the leak.

.rai//

As they say, duct tape fixes all problems. And you get a stylish...gray piece of furniture, to boot. XD i
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:35 pm

Actually, I believe duct tape comes in many colors now. But yes, classic silver is the most popular. It shall never be replaced. After all, they say duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

HIEL DUCT TAPE! : : heel click : :

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:42 pm

Raiden no Kishi wrote:Actually, I believe duct tape comes in many colors now. But yes, classic silver is the most popular. It shall never be replaced. After all, they say duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

HIEL DUCT TAPE! : : heel click : :

.rai//

Oh...that's true! XD Reminds me of the time a window on our car shattered on a trip out of town...we had to stop by a gas station/market to get a piece of cardboard and duct tape to cover the window until the trip was over. They didn't have normal duct tape, though. They had...camouflage duct tape. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:51 pm

So... Did you try any of these and fix it?
Mithrandir

Postby Agent Anderson » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:49 pm

I've heard in the past (but never tried) that putting a this layer of flour on something is a good way to check for leaks. (look for where a flour-cloud is emitted)
Agent Anderson

Return to Tutorials